Turning off MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I gotta try this, just want to get procedure straight. So when I start it up I rotate knob to drive then use down shift on steering wheel to down shift to 1 then back up to 8, then I'm ready to go. I don't have to be actually driving in 8th gear and downshift to 1st and then back up again. Is this correct?

Iggy4935

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I gotta try this, just want to get procedure straight. So when I start it up I rotate knob to drive then use down shift on steering wheel to down shift to 1 then back up to 8, then I'm ready to go. I don't have to be actually driving in 8th gear and downshift to 1st and then back up again. Is this correct?

Yes. The truck will shift though all eight gears without going into MDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes. The truck will shift though all eight gears without going into MDS.

I actually have the 6 speed. I knew if I used the shifter that it would not go into mds since I'm shifting myself. But I've always wondered, when I shift into 3rd gear, it is extremely short. RPM will drop only slightly and then it's time to shift into 4th. Is this just a short gear or? Thanks for any help

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually have the 6 speed. I knew if I used the shifter that it would not go into mds since I'm shifting myself. But I've always wondered, when I shift into 3rd gear, it is extremely short. RPM will drop only slightly and then it's time to shift into 4th. Is this just a short gear or? Thanks for any help

I don't think these transmissions work like the Tiptronic shifting you are thinking of.

Setting it to 3rd gear means the transmission will cycle through only the first 3 gears... not that you are only in 3rd. Setting it to 6 means it will automatically shift between all 6 gears (without MDS) not like a sports car where you are manually shifting gears without a clutch and when you are in 5th it is only driving in 5th till you change it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but this is how it was explained to me at the dealer.

What your doing, if what the tech at the dealer told me is correct, by trying to manually shift each gear is probably going to damage your tranny.

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think these transmissions work like the Tiptronic shifting you are thinking of.

Setting it to 3rd gear means the transmission will cycle through only the first 3 gears... not that you are only in 3rd. Setting it to 6 means it will automatically shift between all 6 gears (without MDS) not like a sports car where you are manually shifting gears without a clutch and when you are in 5th it is only driving in 5th till you change it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but this is how it was explained to me at the dealer.

What your doing, if what the tech at the dealer told me is correct, by trying to manually shift each gear is probably going to damage your tranny.

If I do not up shift then RPM just climbs and climbs. I haven't seen how high it will take it before shifting but I don't think it automatically shifts in that mode

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I do not up shift then RPM just climbs and climbs. I haven't seen how high it will take it before shifting but I don't think it automatically shifts in that mode

it wouldn't shift higher than what you have set it to. But it will shift 1st -3rd gear automatically is what I'm saying, not just stay in 3rd.

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh.. well ok. Lol. I'll be trying that out in just a bit then. I was totally confused then. Thank you for the input sir!

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it wouldn't shift higher than what you have set it to. But it will shift 1st -3rd gear automatically is what I'm saying, not just stay in 3rd.

Oh.. well ok. Lol. I'll be trying that out in just a bit then. I was totally confused then. Thank you for the input sir!

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I prefer no MDS. To keep it on in the city means driving like you're in a Toyota. I dont drive it slow enough to utilize it.

However, the mileage is better in the city on long stretches of constant speed when you can do so. Not often.

On the highway I drive too fast for it to stay on more often than not anyways.

My MDS hasn't worked due to a CEL light (that I think is a faulty pcm :( ) for the last 15000kms and I didn't honestly notice any drop in mileage.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've turned off the mds and drove for awhile, yeah, it runs some better. I'm more interested in witch is better for the longevity of the engine and valve train. Does it really make any difference ? On my truck unless you're paying attention to when the Eco light is on and when it isn't you really don't realize any difference, it just does it's thing.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I shut it off at the column when in town. Highway cruising at 75 to 80 I leave it on. I doubt people actually get better gas mileage while MDS is off all the time, esp highway.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I retract my statement about mileage on the highway. I ran MDS off since this last post and Im up 2mpg on the tank. Just an fyi, however this will still be different based on each persons driving style.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I'm more interested in witch is better for the longevity of the engine and valve train. Does it really make any difference ?

That's my thoughts EXACTLY.....

My brain tells me it would be better with it turned off. Every time you put it in drive.

However.

My brain failed me once............

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I retract my statement about mileage on the highway. I ran MDS off since this last post and Im up 2mpg on the tank. Just an fyi, however this will still be different based on each persons driving style.

Wait, you had MDS off and went up 2mpg?? Is that what the dash says or hand calculated?

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You dont get better MPG and its an annoying feature that make the truck sluggish.

On top of it im pretty sure it cant be good for the longevity of an engine. Trust me when you do a proper comple exhaust upgrade you hear and feel the difference.
I have a cut out. I cruise through my neighborhood in 5th and the MDS off or it drives me crazy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

swanny297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it better to use tow/haul or run through the gears on the column?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk