Two Catch Can Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi all, I have two catch can questions for you.

1. With the Moroso style, with the drain valve at the bottom, does the goo that collects drain ok in the winter? Or is it too thick and gummy? I live in Ohio, and it gets pretty cold at times.

2. With a truck that remains stock, is a catch can still worth it? Can the oil residue still cause problems? I recently bought a 2014 Ram with very low mileage, and I'm thinking about installing a catch can. I want this truck to last a long time. But I thought I'd solicit the collective wisdom here first before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for any thoughts.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes, the oil gets on the throttle plate and gums everything up.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

1. With the Moroso style, with the drain valve at the bottom, does the goo that collects drain ok in the winter? Or is it too thick and gummy? I live in Ohio, and it gets pretty cold at times.

2. With a truck that remains stock, is a catch can still worth it? Can the oil residue still cause problems? I recently bought a 2014 Ram with very low mileage, and I'm thinking about installing a catch can. I want this truck to last a long time. But I thought I'd solicit the collective wisdom here first before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Drain it in the winter after you've drove for awhile and the can is warm.I have the Moroso cans on both my 14 RCSB and the wifes 16 Challenger,and both drain well in a Western Canada winter as long as I drain them when the can is warm

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Don't forget about the aded hp once that bad boy is installed, My GT500 and SRT8 Challenger had cc's and holy mother of God, my last few trucks went without and holy disappointment. I just placed an order from Moe's and along with some hp adders I am getting a cc, I am expexting in and around an added 30 hp, good luck with your project.

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Don't forget about the aded hp once that bad boy is installed, My GT500 and SRT8 Challenger had cc's and holy mother of God, my last few trucks went without and holy disappointment. I just placed an order from Moe's and along with some hp adders I am getting a cc, I am expexting in and around an added 30 hp, good luck with your project.
And only through the virtue of a catch can we fully insert our heads in the sand and visualize whirled peas.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't forget to add the stickers too, those will net you a good 15-20 ponies at the rear! (insert snarkieness)

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Thanks for any thoughts.
Haters gonna hate, and there are those on this forum who for some unknown reason insist on ridiculing catch cans. Whether through ignorance, delusion, denial or laziness, I can't determine and its probably different for every snark.

Facts:
1) The Hemi's higher compression, reduced number of piston rings, and short piston skirts produce a lot of blow by gases that wind up in the crankcase.
2) The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) on the Hemi uses vacuum from the intake manifold to remove oil vapor, combustion gases, combustion byproducts (varnish, carbon, unburned gasoline), water vapor and other volatized gases from the crankcase.
3) The same vacuum from the intake manifold that sucks the crud out of the Hemi crankcase via the PCV deposits it in the intake manifold as it is sucked through your valves and into your combustion chambers. In combustion chambers that crud interacts with your fuel air mixture in a deleterious (big word :naughty:) fashion.
4) The crud removed by your PCV is not good motor fuel (except maybe for a 2 cycle engine).
5) When motor oil mixed with water is exposed to the type of temperatures found in the combustion chamber it tends to leave additional nasty by-products behind.

Question: So do you really want to allow the items listed above to happen to your engine?

Remember: Chrysler doesn't care, they've passed the cost on to you via either having to use 89 Octane to burn that extra crud without your PCM pulling timing, or in increased/accelerated engine fouling to be discovered AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRES.

:crazy:

Last edited:

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Haters gonna hate, and there are those on this forum who for some unknown reason insist on ridiculing catch cans. Whether through ignorance, delusion, denial or laziness, I can't determine and its probably different for every snark.

Facts:
1) The Hemi's higher compression, reduced number of piston rings, and short piston skirts produce a lot of blow by gases that wind up in the crankcase.
2) The Pollution Control Valve (PCV) on the Hemi uses vacuum from the intake manifold to remove oil vapor, combustion gases, combustion byproducts (varnish, carbon, unburned gasoline), water vapor and other volatized gases from the crankcase.
3) The same vacuum from the intake manifold that sucks the crud out of the Hemi crankcase via the PCV deposits it in the intake manifold as it is sucked through your valves and into your combustion chambers. In combustion chambers that crud interacts with your fuel air mixture in a deleterious (big word :naughty:) fashion.
4) The crud removed by your PCV is not good motor fuel (except maybe for a 2 cycle engine).
5) When motor oil mixed with water is exposed to the type of temperatures found in the combustion chamber it tends to leave additional nasty by-products behind.

Question: So do you really want to allow the items listed above to happen to your engine?

Remember: Chrysler doesn't care, they've passed the cost on to you via either having to use 89 Octane to burn that extra crud without your PCM pulling timing, or in increased/accelerated engine fouling to be discovered AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRES.

:crazy:
Remember: if you paint the CC red your truck will have better throttle response!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Remember: if you paint the CC red your truck will have better throttle response!
If one sticks their head far enough up their ass, they'll need a crystal in their navel to see out from their ****** too.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I have an E-bay special Black anodized catch can

I just un-screw the bottom and dump it instead of using the valve on the bottom , super easy takes only a minute

Works great, It gets about a third to half full every 3000 miles
I have a heavy foot ,
can't really comment on the crap above, however I think I would rather have that oil collect there and dump it than getting sucked into my air intake

Simple logic would dictate the air valve would be affected over time and require cleaning more offend than an engine outfitted with a catch can

As far as power ? I don't know **** about that other than Irun HemiFever 93 and can light up 37's at will

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If one sticks their head far enough up their ass, they'll need a crystal in their navel to see out from their ****** too.
Spoken from experience it sounds like, but sometimes it the only way one can learn young grasshopper.

OP
OP
L

leo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thank you for the thoughts guys.

I think I will buy one. It makes sense to me. Some time back I had an f150, and the intake on that thing was absolutely plastered with residue. I never knew it could cause problems. In retrospect I wonder if it was in part responsible for that engine knocking.

Like I said, this Ram is super low mileage and very clean, and I'd like to keep it for a long time. I don't replace trucks too often. Each one seems to accompany me for a significant segment of my life. Without a doubt, this Ram is the nicest truck I've owned.:favorites13:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Spoken from experience it sounds like, but sometimes it the only way one can learn young grasshopper.
That's "Get off my lawn!" crotchety old fart; Sonny

...And you don't have to copy it to know when some smartass is stuck on stupid :eek:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
wth you did not catch my sarcasm??????:happy107:
Yours was funny enough, so was the one from Tray the Vararam dude.

I simply chose to reply to both your sarcasm with something equally improbable/sarcastic that could not be confused with a response to the OP's questions about merits/demerits of CCs.

:cheers:

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's "Get off my lawn!" crotchety old fart; Sonny

...And you don't have to copy it to know when some smartass is stuck on stupid :eek:

Casper, you seem to have this pre-disposition with sticking your head up things, are you sure you don't have a **** fetish?:homoswitch:

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yours was funny enough, so was the one from Tray the Vararam dude.

I simply chose to reply to both your sarcasm with something equally improbable/sarcastic that could not be confused with a response to the OP's questions about merits/demerits of CCs.

:cheers:
Oh, sarcasm, now I get it! Tray the Vararam dude, I love it, always wanted a nick name besides "hey you, *******".:love51:

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963