Type of oil being run by rf crew in the hemis and few other questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Trying to see what is the best choice for oil on a hemi without completely breaking the bank. Currently running valvoline 5w20 with a mopar oil filter. Been having some issues with a tick and the mds. Also if it sits for a day or two it will throw a **** of blue smoke which made my heart drop seeing. Idk if it was because of the cold but I've never had a gas truck do that to me.

Tomorrow after work I am going to be replacing the pcv I'd like to pull my k&n off and see what the tb is looking like down inside. And if it's dirty what would you suggest to run through it. Seafoam? Maybe there's something a little better to be using to clean.

What would you guys suggest to run in my 2010 with 113k for oil and maybe an additive to help clean up any built up sludge inside the motor. Any other suggestions to what I can do to maybe get it to run better then it does.

Also what is the most efficient way to check and see if the tick in hearing maybe just a manifold leak. Drivers side was fixed by dealer when I purchased the truck.. the tick seems to be hard to pin point I don't have the best hearing so any kind of tricks or tips y'all could give me to help get this thing to run like it did when I bought it.

Also running a bullydog gt tuner. I've been reading all over how it is supposed to deactivate the mds. Have not been able to find a option anywhere for it in the menus. Possibly have to get custom tunes to make that possible? It's also supposed to change the tire size which I found that. Had figure out the values of my tires. I'm running a 295 55 20 open country at2. Punched it in and the speedo is off 3 at 60 (set with gps and chip and cluster said 63 64 ish. Faster you go the worse out it gets. Any guys running the bully dog experience this problem? Tried the speed setting that allows +/- the percentage it's off. How am I to figure out the percentage. Im stumped. I move it all the way maxed out at -50% and there was no change what so ever. Any other way to fix the speed problem?

This truck had given me nothing but a headache from day one... I'm hoping I can catch a break for once if hate to have to off it. Seeing that I'm going to lose my ass on it if I trade in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
1) i prefer pennzoil
2)remove the tb and clean it. they sell a throttle body cleaner for this.
3) i personally dont use oil additives, but ive seen people use a little seafoam or marvel mystery oil to try and break up sludge. usually requires an oil change shortly after.
4) start the truck when its been sitting for a few hours and cold to try and pin point which side you hear the manifold leak and take it from there. look for broken/missing bolts.
5) i suggest reading through the bully dog user manual. the option to disable mds is there. they dont call it mds though. its something like cylinder deactivation or shutdown. as far as your speedo goes, if your truck came with 20's, your speedo should not be off by much, if anything running a 295/55/20 tire. youll probably have to play with the tire setting to get it perfect though. as far as calculating the percent different, there are quite a few online tire size calculators that will do this for you.