Unbelievable...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
After a few days of reading glowing reviews of the Carven progressive, I decided it was the muffler for me and I bought one. FedEx dropped it off last night and I made an appointment for today to have it installed. 2017 stock muffler hardware is apparently tack welded in place and I wasn't about to mess with that.

Anyway, they get my muffler off and ask me to come take a look at the situation. They showed me how the Carven muffler is too short and there are no flanges for the pipes to fit inside on either side. I said that's normal and they have to use the sleeves to install it.

Well guess what Carven didn't include with my muffler?...that's right, the sleeves. So today I got to spend $50 to have a shop take my stock muffler off and put it right back on...

I called Carven, but apparently nobody is working today or they just don't feel like returning phone calls. :flame::mad::banghead:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Well that does suck they forgot to send you the clamps.

Side note the stock muffler is just clamped on, no welds hold it on place.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could you have paid $50 to have the shop fab up the new muffler?

That does suck though. Hopefully Carven takes care of you.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
That's sux man, what muffler shop can't cut a couple 8" or 6" sleeves to get your truck going? That's bs, I would find a different shop dude cause they seem either too lazy or too incompetent to complete that very simple install.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
They should have visually inspected new components before pulling stock muffler.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah this shop should have easily been able to made this work. It is not hard for these guys to make ANY 1in/2out muffler work. A few pieces of pipe welded up. Watched the guy doing on my SpinTech... took him 30 minutes to get all done.

OP
OP
Dodge This

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In the shops defense, I didn't want anything welded. It's a bolt on muffler stock and I bought a bolt on aftermarket muffler, so nothing should need to be welded. Things change. At some point I may want to go louder or quieter and I don't want them hacking parts together underneath my truck. Also, they didn't have any stainless pipe, so if I did have them fab up some sleeves, they would end up rusting and causing me a headache later on. I don't fault the shop for any of this. I'm putting this squarely on Carven for sending me a muffler without the hardware necessary for proper installation.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you get clamps with the kit? I installed my Carven myself. The pipe is designed as a "butt" fit against the stock pipe. The clamps go over the two enda to seal the joint. There is no slip over connectors or connection with the Carven install. Maybe im just confused on what the OP was tring to say..

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
the stock muffler isnt tack welded on. the clamps on the exhaust tips are the only thing welded. intalled a carven on my truck 3 months ago and had no issues.

side note.. i wouldve gotten the shop to weld the muffler right on. would ensure a better seal.

Dmuldrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mate that muffler shop sux, let me know where it is so I never go there.
I worked as exhaust fitter for 18yrs and would have checked all items were there for new fitment before even starting the job. Seeing there were no sleeves I would have talked to you the owner of the vehicle and discuss different options to resolve the issue, not hard to fab up sleeves.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you heard back from Carven yet?

OP
OP
Dodge This

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mate that muffler shop sux, let me know where it is so I never go there.
I worked as exhaust fitter for 18yrs and would have checked all items were there for new fitment before even starting the job. Seeing there were no sleeves I would have talked to you the owner of the vehicle and discuss different options to resolve the issue, not hard to fab up sleeves.

I agree that they should have noticed that there was no mounting hardware in the box. Especially after I told them why the muffler wasn't quite as long as the stock and how it was going to mount up.

However, as far as fabbing up some sleeves, as I stated before, this shop didn't work with stainless tubing, so anything they made would have been aluminized, which I didn't want.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, they got ahold of me the next morning and then overnighted the clamps. They gave me a free t-shirt and also sent a Carven exhaust sticker that I'm sure will add 5HP as soon as I put it on. :roflsquared:
Awesome. Glad to hear they took care of you!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would have had them weld it on, but glad you got it going...

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Glad that Carven got it taken care of. Sorry it put you back a few days...but it will be worth it when you fire it up for the first time...

Good luck...let us know your impressions when its done!

OP
OP
Dodge This

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OMFG!! Unbelievable!!! This muffler sounds bada$$!! I was a little worried it might be too mild, but no way can this Carven progressive be considered mild. I can't imagine how loud the competitor is. I watched a bunch of youtube videos, but the sound in person is so much better. Shop was telling me I could take off the resonators in the back if I wanted it louder, but this is just right for what I was looking for. It sucks that I had to pay for the install twice, but it definitely sounds amazing now that it's on. :happy107:

Last edited:

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Figured it would be worth the wait :) Congrats!

The Carven Progressive is the perfect rumbly sound with no raspiness throughout the entire power band...I love mine!