unknown whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JnJ's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi V8 5.7
I'm hoping someone can help or tell me if this is normal on a fairly new truck. I have a 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 4x4, 30k miles (mostly city/highway miles, some off road), bought brand new in Dec. 2011. I started hearing a whine from the engine area a while ago. It can heard at low speeds (city streets), during acceleration and deceleration. Actually have it at the shop right now, but thought I'd see if anyone else has encountered this so I have something to go on when the shop calls me with a diagnosis and estimate. Should be covered under warranty, I just don't want the shop try to pull something on me because I'm female. Thanks!!!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Maybe the converter issue?

Welcome to RF by the way....luckily no matter what, your warranty will cover anything that can/should be wrong.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to RF. I don't have a clue, but let us know what it is when you find out from the dealer

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
The whines from the engine bays I normally associate with a pulley.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Pulley or belt tensioner possibly power steering pump. I guess those come to mind for me. Do you have sound clip of it?

$miley

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome!
It's impossible to say without hearing it...
If you're concerned you won't be taken seriously at the dealer (that would be unfortunate) you may want to suggest a couple of the ideas above to let them know you know a few things vehicular.
Just an idea.

OP
OP
J

JnJ's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi V8 5.7
Thanks for the great ideas, everyone! Still haven't heard back from the shop, but when I do, I'll post what they said.

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
Hope you figure it out and they take care of you. I notice mine whines from underneath when I'm cruising around 40km/h (in town) not sure what it is

Black Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine whines when I'm not beatin' on it! 'Cause that Hemi was born to run!

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm hoping someone can help or tell me if this is normal on a fairly new truck. I have a 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 4x4, 30k miles (mostly city/highway miles, some off road), bought brand new in Dec. 2011. I started hearing a whine from the engine area a while ago. It can heard at low speeds (city streets), during acceleration and deceleration. Actually have it at the shop right now, but thought I'd see if anyone else has encountered this so I have something to go on when the shop calls me with a diagnosis and estimate. Should be covered under warranty, I just don't want the shop try to pull something on me because I'm female. Thanks!!!

Do you have any after market modifications to the truck? Mine started whistling through the Throttle body right after installation.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine whined around 2k rpms right after I cleaned my throttle body. I used tb cleaner instead of brake cleaner. Live and learn I guess. Now I have the fastman tb and no whine

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Before I joined any forums I cleaned my tb with tb cleaner. After the cleaning there was a very high pitch whine around 2k rpm. Any higher or lower it went away. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't figure it out. Said it was my cai. Took it off and it still did it. I was lost. I had a k&n intake then. I wanted a paint matched intake so I ordered one and an 85mm tb. After installation I noticed the whine was gone. Then I read only use brake cleaner to clean the tb. The tb cleaner will mess up the electronics in the tb.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably the idler pulley, they are notorious for whining even on brand new trucks. My Dad's 2012 Hemi 2500 has done it after only a few thousand miles.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Maybe the converter issue?

Welcome to RF by the way....luckily no matter what, your warranty will cover anything that can/should be wrong.
Of course the stealership tech has to be able to replicate and recognize it for a problem before your warranty expires--just say'n. :banghead:

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Do you have any after market modifications to the truck? Mine started whistling through the Throttle body right after installation.
Check for a stripped out TB bolt--the plastic intake manifold doesn't always take well to factory bolt installation making for troubles when you r & r them to add a new TB.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sounds like a sassy little Chardonay from Napa :insane: