Using nuetral to "downshift"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhira

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a friend of mine who has a 2016 Ram 1500 (5.7L V8 HEMI) just like mine, 8-spd automatic. He's sometimes disappointed when he floors it to get on the highway, and it doesn't downshift like he wants...so he does this thing where he shifts into nuetral, floors it to whatever RPM (I can't remember if the Ram still limits you to 4000rpm when rolling), then shifts it back into the Drive. It "works" in the sense that the truck *will* downshift, but I can't help but think this could ruin/damage the transmission over time? I don't feel any jerking per se, but I would think forcing the automatic to downshift with that sudden rev input could be bad.

Thoughts?

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow! I can't imagine that is any good for the transmission. With all the electronics on the 8 speeds I'm sure it does something to mitigate then, but still?

Why not just tap the Gear - button in the steering wheel and downshift a gear or two.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
tell him to try the pedal commander

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a friend of mine who has a 2016 Ram 1500 (5.7L V8 HEMI) just like mine, 8-spd automatic. He's sometimes disappointed when he floors it to get on the highway, and it doesn't downshift like he wants...so he does this thing where he shifts into nuetral, floors it to whatever RPM (I can't remember if the Ram still limits you to 4000rpm when rolling), then shifts it back into the Drive. It "works" in the sense that the truck *will* downshift, but I can't help but think this could ruin/damage the transmission over time? I don't feel any jerking per se, but I would think forcing the automatic to downshift with that sudden rev input could be bad.

Thoughts?

HA! we used to call those "neutral drops" when I was a kid and you only did that on cars you didn't want to last too long. I wouldn't do that at all and I assume there must be some safety features built in or he would have heard trans parts protesting followed by uncontrollable tire spin. My trans downshifts just fine when I hit the gas but he could always force a downshift with the shift buttons on the steering wheel couldn't he?

Jayc057

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
tell him to try the pedal commander

The pedal commander is fun and all, but I don't think it helps with downshifting and getting into the gear you want at all. I just got mine on Saturday and was hoping it did but was disappointed in that aspect of it.

It's just hard getting used to the 8speed auto coming from driving a 6 speed manual or a split 10 manual for most of my life I think. You just want that fast reaction and to be in the right gear immediately. That being said I don't think I would be dropping into gear from neutral any time soon I'd rather live with the lag.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Thoughts?

Yea, high revving and then dumping into gear like that is never advisable. 8-Speed tuning is available now, so tell him to take it to a speed shop with a dyno that uses HP Tuner to get the transmission dialed in.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Tell him to re-gear his truck to 3.92 or 4.10

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
**** mine downshifts fine and does it plenty quick, guy sounds like a tool.
He will be the guy that has a transmission go out then say Ram sucks and bad mouth it all over the internet.

Last edited:

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Sounds pretty cool. Tell your buddy to try flooring it in reverse and then shift to drive really fast and floor it. It will help improve his 1/4 mile times.:roflsquared:

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tell that guy he needs to give away his Ram to someone who deserves it and treats it with the love and respect it deserves.

Then beat him with a serpentine belt off a Honda Ridgeline, cuz that's the kind of truck that he really needs.

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Does he not like to use the + and - buttons to manually run it thru the gears?

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Thoughts?

:wtf: :badidea:

Last edited: