V6 efan vs V8 efan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this has probably been discussed a lot but I am still not sure if it is worth upgrading the V8 efan to the V6 efan. Currently I am running the stock V8 efan without the mechanical clutch fan and it works ok but noticed when outside temp is 100+ or if going up a big hill, the V8 fan doesn't seem to cut it. I see my coolant temp climb up to ~210 (always comes back down to ~186 once over hill) and same with sitting at stop light on very hot day.

I haven't towed anything yet (only dirt bike and ATV in back) but I am concerned with using just the V8 efan and will probably put the clutch fan back on.

The 6.2L Silverado has only a efan so I am hoping switching to a V6 efan will be enough to keep the truck cool. Any input is much appreciated.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the V-6 E-Fan and it does the same thing with a 180 thermostat.

I have been told you need to get a lower temp thermostat like a 170 or 160 if it is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
West27

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the V-6 E-Fan and it does the same thing with a 180 thermostat.

I have been told you need to get a lower temp thermostat like a 170 or 160 if it is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you done any towing with the V6 fan? Seems like my best bet is to keep using the stock fan and then put the clutch fan back on if I am towing.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The V6 fan is an improvement over your current fan. It is almost 3" bigger, so it will help keep temps down on the warmer days. I would just buy a cheap TYC 622320 fan. Use the TYC shroud and fan blade, but bolt it up to your factory AC fan motor. This will make it all plug n play, and will cool the motor better than your current fan configuration.

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
The V6 fan is an improvement over your current fan. It is almost 3" bigger, so it will help keep temps down on the warmer days. I would just buy a cheap TYC 622320 fan. Use the TYC shroud and fan blade, but bolt it up to your factory AC fan motor. This will make it all plug n play, and will cool the motor better than your current fan configuration.

Is this configuration all simple no cutting unbolt and bolt up? I like the sound of this but haven't heard of it from anyone else.

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, I was referring to using the tyc shroud but the OEM motor and blades.
Not sure that would work. Then TYC is much bigger. You may really have balance/vibration issuies.023cc06401b00c60509eb803bd2b66cf.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds to me like the V8 fan you're referring to is the A/C fan. I don't think it's big enough (pulls enough air) to keep everything cool on really hot days and/or towing. I wouldn't trust my truck with that alone living down here in the south. I did that with my V6 Dakota, but I didn't use it for any heavy towing or hauling.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are ALOT more factors at play here than just the fan and I documented most of this stuff on my channel as I was going through it.

With your truck being a 2014 there is a good chance you have an 8 speed with active grille shutters which will greatly affect your cooling with a E-Fan as they work in sync with a constantly spinning mechanical fan.

Also without a tune the fan won't come on until around 220* unless you have the A/C on then you can get it to kick on sooner.

Stock thermostat or lower temp thermostat won't matter in warmer temps as the active grille shutters will stay closed to keep the truck around the stock 203* thermostat temps.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I tried the TYC two of them actually and hated them. They vibrate like crazy and are cheaply made not even close to OEM quality. I put my V8 setup and never looked back.

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried the TYC two of them actually and hated them. They vibrate like crazy and are cheaply made not even close to OEM quality. I put my V8 setup and never looked back.
Where did you feel the vibration at? Mine seems super sturdy and strong and I have no vibration whatsoever

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
There are ALOT more factors at play here than just the fan and I documented most of this stuff on my channel as I was going through it.

With your truck being a 2014 there is a good chance you have an 8 speed with active grille shutters which will greatly affect your cooling with a E-Fan as they work in sync with a constantly spinning mechanical fan.

Also without a tune the fan won't come on until around 220* unless you have the A/C on then you can get it to kick on sooner.

Stock thermostat or lower temp thermostat won't matter in warmer temps as the active grille shutters will stay closed to keep the truck around the stock 203* thermostat temps.

I think the thread is getting confusing but if you're replying to me I do have a 2014 with 8speed, active shutters, and AC fan. I also have a 180 thermostat that has been adjusted for via custom tune. Truck runs at 186 degrees always no matter stop and go, freeway, or outside air temp. Even pulling a trailer of cement blocks and railroad ties up a steep grade in 90 degree weather the truck never hit 200 degrees.

I don't doubt swapping to a V6 efan will work just fine, I was more curious about the notion of using the TYC shroud from a V6 fan but the OEM motor and blades as mentioned in the post above.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Where did you feel the vibration at? Mine seems super sturdy and strong and I have no vibration whatsoever

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Through the steering wheel while idling.