V6 Pentastar running extra warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tobe1424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Hello all,

Thanks for letting me onto this forum. I need a bit of help.

I just bought a '13 slt quad cab a few days ago from a 3rd part dealer in south florida.

They are covering any issues for the next few days. For the past few days the temp gauge passes the half way mark while the readings fluctuate between 205-230 degrees - TOO warm IMHO

I took it back to the dealer and they said that the radiator/cooling fans don't stay on as long as they should; basically said they are shot.

However, something doesn't sound right. I hope I am wrong and they are right and that is the issue. But fans usually work or don't work.

Anyhow, I wanted you guys/gals input on this one:

What is the normal operational temp for these v6's? I hear the temp gauge should climb past the 1/2 way mark.

Could the dealer be right about the fans? I'm thinking maybe its a relay or something else. Yesterday I had a check engine light for the body control module. The advance auto parts tech cleared the codes. Hasn't come back.

I need to go back to the dealer for the fan replacements on Tuesday. For now i disabled active grill to induce cooling.

Aside from this, the truck idles, shifts, and runs very smooth.

Thanks in advance.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Are you talking about engine oil or coolant temps?

I have to double check but I believe my temps seem to stay around 205-220 IIRC.

That radiator cooling fan story sounds like BS.

Tell them you want a whole system flush and refill.

OP
OP
T

tobe1424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Thanks for the input.

Im talking about the coolant temps. Analog gauge climbs to about 2/3 (past 1/2) the middle. I've never had an engine in which this was considered normal.

I also feel that the fan story is bs. I could be wrong. According to the techs the fans don't turn on when necessary. I looked at the coolant and it seemed pretty clean. Only about 79K on the motor/truck

I'm trying to tell the techs exactly what's going on in order to accomplish the following:

A. They don't break something while trying to fix something irrelevant

B. Try to actually fix the issue while before any repairs come out of my pocket.

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My V6 temp gauge stays right in the middle.

OP
OP
T

tobe1424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
My V6 temp gauge stays right in the middle.

Thanks again for the feedback.

So, even if the temp was at 220 your temp gauge stayed in the 1/2 way mark?

After doing more research I see others have reflashed a BCM (or something) which could be causing this issue. I wonder what the dealer would charge for this - assuming they would.

Best,

Robert

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I haven't compared the actual temp from the EVIC vs what the analog gauge says, I will check it on my commute in the morning, but the analog guage stays in the middle whatever that temp is. I should be cognizant of what my truck is doing.

OP
OP
T

tobe1424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
That would awesome if you can advise if the 220 temp readings keep you at the 1/2 way mark. I have to go back to the dealer on Tuesday and would love to figure out the root cause before then.

It appears that a reflash could fix the temp gauge readings. Although I'm wondering this point if they install new fans - would that be a good thing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
That would awesome if you can advise if the 220 temp readings keep you at the 1/2 way mark. I have to go back to the dealer on Tuesday and would love to figure out the root cause before then.

It appears that a reflash could fix the temp gauge readings. Although I'm wondering this point if they install new fans - would that be a good thing :)

on my 13 it will get to 220 and thats about as hot as it gets, and at the 220 mark the analog gauge is right at or just slightly past the half way mark

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
I have a whole thread about the 2014 V6 running hot and my dealers attempts to fix it. Do a search. Good luck. I now drive a 2016 Longhorn Hemi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

tobe1424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I have a whole thread about the 2014 V6 running hot and my dealers attempts to fix it. Do a search. Good luck. I now drive a 2016 Longhorn Hemi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see, I see. Thanks folks.

I thought I read a thread somewhere about the dealer replacing ever single coolant component in which case it ended up a bcm reflash that fixed the issue - or something like that. In any case, I will try and look up your thread.

I just find it weird that some say this is normal while others don't have this issue.

Gauge temp passing the 1/2 way mark simply doesn't sound right to me. Especially when I'm just cruising along.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I see, I see. Thanks folks.

I thought I read a thread somewhere about the dealer replacing ever single coolant component in which case it ended up a bcm reflash that fixed the issue - or something like that. In any case, I will try and look up your thread.

I just find it weird that some say this is normal while others don't have this issue.

Gauge temp passing the 1/2 way mark simply doesn't sound right to me. Especially when I'm just cruising along.

ill add to my post, if im driving, mine never passes the half way mark, if im stuck in traffic on hot pavement is the only time i see it go a fuzz past the half way mark

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2015 Pentastar never went pass the half way mark. Even while driving in Florida and we get hot temps during the summer here in Ont.

OP
OP
T

tobe1424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
My 2015 Pentastar never went pass the half way mark. Even while driving in Florida and we get hot temps during the summer here in Ont.

I hear ya. I'm in Miami so it's as warm as south Florida gets. Luckily it's been cooler than general recently. Still I can't express how annoying it is to see the gauge get to nearly 3/4 of the way.

I'm hoping to talk with my local dealer to see if they have some input on this. Meanwhile, The third-party dealer I bought the truck from still thinks it's a problem with the fans LOL

What do you guys think, I should argue with them and tell them to not waste their time? Or should I get a new 'free' set of radiator fans?

OP
OP
T

tobe1424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Do you guys know what temp does the thermostat open up? I'm pretty sure I can dig for this but I am currently on the road

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chrysler, Star Case S1324000004:

"Engineering has determined the gauge is reading higher than design intent. If this is the customers complaint, review the below operating parameters. This condition is being investigated by Engineering. Some customers may comment the temperature gauge appears to read hot or above the half way point in its travel. The thermostat is designed to open at 221F, resulting in an Engine operating temperature of 230F."

OP
OP
T

tobe1424

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I just saw my temp gauge hit 3/4 ..too scary :/