Vararam Air grabber vs. Vararam Hemi Under Glass vs. APM Ram Air Hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

axemann030773

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok Forum family which one? These three fine products have been through the proving grounds and being this is the next mod in my build i need some input. Air Grabber is back! Hemi Under Glass has returned (and damn sure looks nice) imagine that under Marilyn's bonnet. Then there is the fully functional Ram Air hood from APM painted to match. Lets not look at cost plz because lets face it at 2200.00 plus freight APM is running last. So what say you? Edit: hemi under glass is 3 gen. Mod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
FYI, the hemi under glass is only for the 3rd gens and it never was much good on them either compared to the 4th gen's air grabber, both suffer from poor construction issues but the under glass was worse.

OP
OP
A

axemann030773

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI, the hemi under glass is only for the 3rd gens and it never was much good on them either compared to the 4th gen's air grabber, both suffer from poor construction issues but the under glass was worse.

Thnx. For the info on that . on the vararam.com site the opening page says its new. I had already read the info on Air Grabber so i figured ooooooo. Of course , the wife thnx you as well she thought it was gaudy and intended for a lo-rider ;) teach me to read all info first :) makes me wonder if it could be a modified mod :hidesbehindsofa:

C3ntury

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are basing this off of pure performance between the 3, just opt for the vararam. The APM hood is great if you want it for primarily cosmetic reasons. The other option if you want the hood, is to purchase the APM intake system or an S&B and fab the two together. As for cost, you can get the APM hood alone (raw) for under $1200 shipped or with their airbox under $1600 shipped.

OP
OP
A

axemann030773

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are basing this off of pure performance between the 3, just opt for the vararam. The APM hood is great if you want it for primarily cosmetic reasons. The other option if you want the hood, is to purchase the APM intake system or an S&B and fab the two together. As for cost, you can get the APM hood alone (raw) for under $1200 shipped or with their airbox under $1600 shipped.

Thnx C3ntury. The one i got priced. 2179 + freight comes with box , filter and all hardware painted to px8. Cosmetically speaking its sharp. If i go with Vararam product i believe i will try to mod even further into a shaker hood

C3ntury

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure where you are getting prices, but I priced the hood and intake kit (raw) includibg shipping under $1600. They've had issues in the past with their painted hoods, so I'd opt for raw, get it painted locally, and prob save you a few $

OP
OP
A

axemann030773

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure where you are getting prices, but I priced the hood and intake kit (raw) includibg shipping under $1600. They've had issues in the past with their painted hoods, so I'd opt for raw, get it painted locally, and prob save you a few $

Quoted from APM. (Painted) they guarantee paint less than 3 yrs old. I really appreciate your input. Thnx. Keep it coming. Jason

Sent from my i-Phone using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I was working with another guy who'd been thinking about a shaker hood back in '10 and it'd be completely custom work but the Vararam is the place to start. You'd need to pick up the Cervini's, Classic Design Concepts, or a Danko shaker assembly and use the regular hood, not the sport hood. From there you'd need to fiberglass the shaker assembly onto the vararam, cut the hood and mount the trim ring + fiberglass.

If cost ever came into it, the APM system would be much cheaper but wouldn't be unique.

C3ntury

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I imagine, since it would be custom work, that any hood could be used?

OP
OP
A

axemann030773

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Taking a break so thought i would hit you guys back , i mentioned in the coffee house thread that i was going to make a shaker out of my hood when i got the apm, the general consensus was "do it do it meow" really thats what i want to do. The fab isn't any problem if you were to ask my wife the real problem is my iCloud storage i video all my projects and we have already upgraded twice, she says its getting out of hand :)

C3ntury

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had thought about that too, but the main problem then is 1. cutting out the underside of the apm, which I imagine is heavy fab in order to re-seal it properly and 2. new water gutter system. You'd be spending at least $1200 just to spend another $1000 or a lot of your time on fabrication. I'm not saying don't do it, just something to think about; though, at least you could lighten it's load to level with a stock hood! I do like the sound of incorporating a shaker (Cervini or Mopar) over a 2500/3500 hood just as long as the shaker didn't look like a beach house on stilts underneathe XD

OP
OP
A

axemann030773

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had thought about that too, but the main problem then is 1. cutting out the underside of the apm, which I imagine is heavy fab in order to re-seal it properly and 2. new water gutter system. You'd be spending at least $1200 just to spend another $1000 or a lot of your time on fabrication. I'm not saying don't do it, just something to think about; though, at least you could lighten it's load to level with a stock hood! I do like the sound of incorporating a shaker (Cervini or Mopar) over a 2500/3500 hood just as long as the shaker didn't look like a beach house on stilts underneathe XD

Done for the day finally. My bad C3ntury. When i get the apm , i will attempt the shaker mod with my stock hood. Great input. I really appreciate it. Going to look into styro-foam for the mold. Thinking the gutters will be tricky also. Bounce this off you. If i fab the whole thing except filter of course, i could make "channels" for the gutter system and dump them towards the rear on both sides of housing

C3ntury

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This was something I considered a while back, but resparked interest. I believe all of the "new" (08-present) involve a water gutter system, but Cervini's is supposedly better put together all the way around. The 14' mopar version is supposed to very similar to the Cervini so I'll inquire about the mopar one tomorrow :) The other minor concern is whether or not the shaker is sizeable to pull more air than the apm...definitely doesn't have the presence of the apm imo. As far as the hood, cutting should be easy using a template (available online?) or go find a 14' shaker at a dealer and literally draw your own template for sizing or use the outer hood ring as a template.