Vararam, Bullydog GT or Moe's 87mm TB. Which First?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 True Blue Pearl Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I actually put a lot of thought into this. The tuner will be your best "seat of the pants" mod meaning you will feel that one most. The TB and the intake will modify sound a little and not be quite as noticable after the tune. My goal is to wacth my MPG with each mod, exhaust, intake, TB, then add the tune to see what the sum of the parts are.

My truck is also pretty new, only 4500 miles.

That's my .02.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a Trinity as my first performance mod. It certainly made a very noticeable difference in the way the truck drives, at least in respect to the shifting, (i.e. "butt-ometer"). I haven't found a good stretch of level road to get some stock vs tuned times yet. My reason for buying it first was so I could get times after each mod and compare.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Your list is good and yes go with the 87mm so you will be set for the headers down the road.

OP
OP
Kevn

Kevn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck is also pretty new, only 4500 miles.

That's my .02.

Ya, my truck is new as well, only 4000kms. Looks like most people think tuner will do the most, soon as I get some pricing I'll be ordering some parts!

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah the tuner, tb and vararam combined will definitely be noticeable. you'll definitely like it

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 True Blue Pearl Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Does the Bully dog change shift points as well?

I'm curious about this too. Is the Bully a canned tune like superchips etc "Install performance tune? yes/no?" or are you custom tuning everything?

Time to do a search I guess..lol

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tuner first..you will feel some gains now and morw again each time you add more goodys...If you don't feel it, keep paper notes and it will show up in #'s.

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ya, was not that impressed with how it handled the hills, although they were some pretty good climbs. GT plus? Haven't really looked into the tuners yet but there is just one bullydog for the 2012's, correct?
Gonna order up a tuner, vararam and 87mm throttle body unless anyone can suggest something better.
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Here is the one I was talking about and you are correct about BD just having one for your year.

Bullydog GT Hemi Plus Tuner for 2011-2012 Ram 5.7

I was just wondering if you were doing the Trinity or the BD.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even though the BD uses only canned tunes, would it not be beneficial to do the other mods first, then the tuner last to take full advantage f the other mods??

junior81

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 crew cab sport
Engine
Bully dog first. I did exhaust then BD then TB and y pipe. Saving up VR

OP
OP
Kevn

Kevn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Should I consider doing a full exhaust? I have the y-pipe and 18" magnaflow, just haven't had installed yet

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are doing all those mods why not get a diablo? Then you can have a custom tune for engine and trans built for towing.

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Considering trading on a diesel now

Wow, didn't you already purchase your mods? If so let me know I might be interested in your Y pipe lol!

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plan on doing all three but only have funds to do one now. Which is best to start with?

Everyone's opinion is valid.
Tuner for instant noticeability and the other later

Either way you will be pleased with all once you have them

We are offer a KILLER Promotion on the tuner right now as well....you may just want to grab another mod when I share this with you offline ;)

:emotions36:

OP
OP
Kevn

Kevn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it doesn't look like the wife's gonna go for the extra payment for a diesel so I need more towing power now! Vararam, 87mm TB, bully dog GT and thinking some headers. Anything else?

OP
OP
Kevn

Kevn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We are offer a KILLER Promotion on the tuner right now as well....you may just want to grab another mod when I share this with you offline ;)

:emotions36:

I already have a decent quote but your welcome to shoot me a pm with a price as well

Taylo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it doesn't look like the wife's gonna go for the extra payment for a diesel so I need more towing power now! Vararam, 87mm TB, bully dog GT and thinking some headers. Anything else?

Edge Torque Converter.