vararam filter clean or replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
im pushing 15k mi on my vararam and was wondering if the filter is washable or i just need to buy a new filter and if so where? i have blown it out with compressed air a couple times but i drive alot of dirt roads and the filter is looking pretty dirty

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's washable. You just need to get the green air filter cleaner kit. Green Filter is the manufacturer who supplied the filter for the VaraRam. Make sure you get the clear oil.

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks guys. How long do you go between cleaning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Totally dependent on driving conditions, my filter gets cleaned when it gets dirty, then it gets rotated as well so it's not the same side always getting dirty.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It is. But don't buy it from Amazon, I have prime, and was going too, but you'll notice the usually ships within 1-3 weeks thing. I bought mine from Green filter's website and got it within a week. You aren't saving anything, it's about the same price everywhere.

I might be selling mine, I am not to happy about the level of dust the thing collects. And I only drive highway.

You should clean it as it gets dirty, obviously.

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bought it from green filters website and got free shipping and was cheaper than amazon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I order mine from green filter also. Was here in a couple of days.

Reaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I still have a k&n "recharge kit" (cleaner & filter oil). Is there any reason why that wouldn't work?

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I still have a k&n "recharge kit" (cleaner & filter oil). Is there any reason why that wouldn't work?

It will work as far as cleaning and oiling the filter, but the K&N oil will turn your filter red.

customcarz973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im pushing 15k mi on my vararam and was wondering if the filter is washable or i just need to buy a new filter and if so where? i have blown it out with compressed air a couple times but i drive alot of dirt roads and the filter is looking pretty dirty

Buy a new one, clean the old one, so you always have a fresh one on deck ready to go! That prevents putting still damp because you have to go out.

Ppeteypab19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Many in other forums say its fine that they haven't noticed anything off about it. ... I'm about to do the same and use the K&N its more accesible locally. ..

Nicholas1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 2017 Ram Rebel with this air intake. Is there a replacement filter made by K&N? If so anyone know the part #. Having a hard time finding it.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Looking for a K&N replacement....

I don't know that anyone else makes a replacement - take the dimensions and call K&N maybe? They do make a replacement for the Corvette Vararam. Maybe the Ram version isn't popular enough.

The Green is essentially the same filter though from what I've read - oiled woven cotton gauze, washable and re-usable.

Here's a review comparison of the Corvette versions of the K&N and Green Filters.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...n-k-n-air-filter-vs-the-green-filter-285.html

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The K&N replacement filter is about the same cost as the Vararam filter--around $90. Also Moe's, a preferred vendor on this site, sells the cleaning kit for the Vararams.
Jay