Vararam install...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Here's my 2 cents on the Vararam.
1 using the truck plastic cover over the supplied Vararam wing will supply a smooth less disturbed air flow to the filter. While maintaining the clean lines with out moving the horn and wire ties.
2 in order to do this you have to trim 1.75 of a inch from the mouth where it over laps the Vararam.
I will post picture once I'm finished. I do not plan on using the supplier wing.

trikeffex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
Which plastic cover are you referring to?Im assuming you are talking about the plastic Beauty cover that they ask you to remove?I modified mine to where it would fit in place with the vararam.
Charles

OP
OP
Lhemi

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Beauty cover

This one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
Lhemi

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you use the supplied wing as well? I did not and I didn't cut and move my horn bracket. I am going to remove this beauty cover at some point when it's not so cold and clean the edges up and maybe even bolt it to the Vararam. I'm thinking that my cause unneeded turbulence.
Looking back I wouldn't have remove any material I would have only cut the beauty shield to get the needed flexibility to slide the Vararam under it.
Has anyone used a heat gun on this material to see if you can form it at all? The stock "beauty cover" material?

OP
OP
Lhemi

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as the butt Dyno results... Holy ****!!! I haven't found any clear road to run a quick 1/4 mile on, my biggest issue now is getting these 305-45/R22 to hook up. It wasn't that long ago that it wouldn't spin the tires on wet pavement. Now I can be rolling at 30mph and smash on it and my truck will get side ways quick...
Love It! Thanks Matt for the great service and super fast shipping!

trikeffex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yea that's the cover I was talking about..Yea I used the supplied wing that comes from vararam because the air that feeds the vararam comes from the grill area.If you have the rubber seal on the hood lip like mine does than the vararam isn't getting any air over that beauty panel,And if you aren't using the wing that vararam sends,Then the air from the grill area is just going straight through to your radiator instead of hittin the vararam wing and up into the filter..
Yea I had to trim and clean up my beauty panel so the air had a clear path up the vararam wing.I sent mine back to vararam as I felt no difference on my truck ,But now that I have a tune for my 13' sport I'm gonna order another 1.
Charles

trikeffex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you look at this pic you will see what I'm talking about with the seal under the hood lip sealing the hood to the grille..
91E-4254154562FE-5115-000005CE2B69D8C1_zps2adcdb28.jpg

Charles

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
so youre saying that the flap that hangs down toward the radiator on the vararam doesnt pick up air into the air filter?

im confused about "beauty panel"

trikeffex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
Artic,
The Beauty panel I'm talking about is the more or less the radiator cover that goes over the top of the grille and radiator..Most vehicles have panels like so that are just considered as beauty panels as they are mainly to clean up under the hood opposed to being functional..
As far as the vararam wing goes,I was letting the OP know that the Function of the Vararam wing is to pull in the air from the grille to the filter.The way I understood what he said is that he didn't use the included wing and just modified the "Radiator cover" instead.

Charles

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm going to go broke if I keep clicking on these threads of great ideas for mods to my truck. I want them all.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Artic,
The Beauty panel I'm talking about is the more or less the radiator cover that goes over the top of the grille and radiator..Most vehicles have panels like so that are just considered as beauty panels as they are mainly to clean up under the hood opposed to being functional..
As far as the vararam wing goes,I was letting the OP know that the Function of the Vararam wing is to pull in the air from the grille to the filter.The way I understood what he said is that he didn't use the included wing and just modified the "Radiator cover" instead.

Charles

oh ok, i see.

Actually, i just left the radiator cover off on mine when i installed my vararam. It suggested removing it on the Vararam in structions or cutting a hole in the middle of it to allow air flow.

20130807_124510_zps7fdc708c.jpg

OP
OP
Lhemi

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks.
ArticRodz you have your supplied wing mounted on top of the Vararam? How did you bolt them together? The supplied wing I got had the nuts attached to the wing and you had to put the screws threw the Vararam into the wing to attach.
As far as a seal is concerned there is no seal between my hood and grille so air flows strait across my beauty shield into my Vararam and the wing hung down behind my radiator not really doing much.
I feel like it's getting tons more air flow, cold outside airflow like this. But that's what makes modding our trucks our own.
Thanks for the likes! And my truck loved these mods!!!

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
yea when i installed it i was just messing with how the flap was to be installed. its now bolted from the bottom of it so theres a slight lip exposed. I just figured it was better the way i had it, but thats just me.

I think it gets enough air the way i have it without the radiator cover on it. I was thinking about cutting a slot on the radiator cover but im too lazy now lol.

as far as that seal thing between the hood and grill, i think its way to thin to offer any good air flow from removing it. I could be wrong though.

trikeffex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yea I thought of pulling the seal when I get another vararam..And you are right man as long as you are happy that's all that matters!
Charles

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Anyone have a part no for this "beauty shield"? I cant find it anywhere and I modified mine to fit the vararam and like Trikeffex, I feel no difference so I will probably return mine.

RJP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
oh ok, i see.

Actually, i just left the radiator cover off on mine when i installed my vararam. It suggested removing it on the Vararam in structions or cutting a hole in the middle of it to allow air flow.

20130807_124510_zps7fdc708c.jpg
On the install do you have to remove the engine cover?

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
I put mine back on. It was a tight fit but it went on

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As far as the butt Dyno results... Holy ****!!! I haven't found any clear road to run a quick 1/4 mile on, my biggest issue now is getting these 305-45/R22 to hook up. It wasn't that long ago that it wouldn't spin the tires on wet pavement. Now I can be rolling at 30mph and smash on it and my truck will get side ways quick...
Love It! Thanks Matt for the great service and super fast shipping!

besides the Vararam what other modifications do you have installed?:favorites13: