Vararam intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram1X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all, first post here. I just installed a Vararam. My initial feelings are that it's a piece of junk as far as craftsmanship. But I just want to be sure I have everything correctly installed. My first question is, does the o2 sensor really just stick into the rubber coupler unsecured by anything but rubber coupler pressure? Second question, what were the 5 random flat washers for, or did they just accidently spill into the bag while they were building something at the shop?

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) Well, I've had mine installed for over a month and it's PRIMO, however-

You have to be sure the INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE (IAT)sensor, IS INSTALLED ALL THE WAY IN THE RED TUBE AND THE SENSOR is at the right ATTITUDE--the little shoulder on the outside has to be at 12 o'clock-position-

I'm not sure about your FLAT WASHERS, but three are used on the front wing attach screws and two are required in the air-cleaner mounting thumb screws-

I installed the wing on the OUTSIDE of the VARARAM air cleaner base, so it would sit flush on the radiator-have to doit before you install the COMPLETE UNIT ON ENGINE--

Installing the VARARAM isn't SUPER SIMPLE--it takes a little care and logic--if you have some engine carburetor/intake previous experience--it helps-

Good luck

IMG_3409_zpskk3os9qk.jpg

Good luck

:crazy: JIMBO

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Vararam:

Customer service sucks, fitment sucks, finish sucks, instructions are form 2011 and don't apply.
I called them and asked why does the orange hose have so many loose threads, is your tool dull? same with the finish on the drain holes and why don't the bolt holes line up.

answer on the poor finish .." they are all like that" on the holes not lining up..." you have to redrill" like I'm a *******.

Lack of proper directions ".....just check online"

I told them they need to sharpen their tools, check their jigs and start a Q/A program.

I see that has not happened.

If there was a competitor for a equal CAI I would by it.

I told them they need

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) SO, how do you like it ??

Vararam:

Customer service sucks, fitment sucks, finish sucks, instructions are form 2011 and don't apply.
I called them and asked why does the orange hose have so many loose threads, is your tool dull? same with the finish on the drain holes and why don't the bolt holes line up.

answer on the poor finish .." they are all like that" on the holes not lining up..." you have to redrill" like I'm a *******.

Lack of proper directions ".....just check online"

I told them they need to sharpen their tools, check their jigs and start a Q/A program.

I see that has not happened.

If there was a competitor for a equal CAI I would by it.

I told them they need

OP
OP
R

Ram1X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
:) Well, I've had mine installed for over a month and it's PRIMO, however-

You have to be sure the INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE (IAT)sensor, IS INSTALLED ALL THE WAY IN THE RED TUBE AND THE SENSOR is at the right ATTITUDE--the little shoulder on the outside has to be at 12 o'clock-position-

I'm not sure about your FLAT WASHERS, but three are used on the front wing attach screws and two are required in the air-cleaner mounting thumb screws-

I installed the wing on the OUTSIDE of the VARARAM air cleaner base, so it would sit flush on the radiator-have to doit before you install the COMPLETE UNIT ON ENGINE--

Installing the VARARAM isn't SUPER SIMPLE--it takes a little care and logic--if you have some engine carburetor/intake previous experience--it helps-

Good luck

IMG_3409_zpskk3os9qk.jpg

Good luck

Yeah the sensor is oriented correctly but sheesh, that sucker will almost certainly move from engine vibrations. The filter was already installed so I assume they put washers on it but I'm a fool for assuming that after what I've seen with the product. The install was not at all difficult, it just wasn't very intuitive. I've worked as a mechanic in the past so the only hard part was figuring out what the manufacturer was TRYING to achieve with the parts they provided. This product appears to be nothing more than formed Kydex. Any one of us could provide a better product, likely for less. Once you create a mold to press the Kydex into, you could knock these things out all day. This would force vararam to make its product better or die.

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Almost pullled trigger on vararam but jumped to s&b last minute should be here soon. Didnt like how it just sits on intake tube. And also how you can shake it with your hand. But the seal is made when hood is shut so may make it solid then.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Once installed and hood closed it sits tight. I have to push down a little to get my hood closed. I never had issues with mine.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like mine, and found the fit and finish to be no different than some other kits out there. But, I see your see point, when you're dropping $300+ on a kit.

Regarding the o2 sensor, someone on here posted that they used silicone to help secure the sensor. I did the same.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't you need to remove that plastic sheet above the radiator?
That's where the positive air pressure comes from.
Great instructions, I am sure.

IMG_3409_zpskk3os9qk.jpg

Good luck

:crazy: JIMBO[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
R

Ram1X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

IMG_3409_zpskk3os9qk.jpg

Good luck

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, from what I've gathered they want you to remove that completely or cut a section out so the air can flow up from the grill. Otherwise it's just sucking hot air off the motor

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) Thanx misfit-

IMG_3409_zpskk3os9qk.jpg

Good luck

[/QUOTE]

If you mean the front shroud cover
IMG_3409_zpskk3os9qk.jpg

Yes you have to remove it and cut a horizontal slot to allow the intake air flow into the VARARAM--then get some NYLON NUTS and you can remove it/replace it any time EASY-

Good luck