Viscious Coupling Diffs available on Rams?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This might be a rookie question because I'm new to Rams. Just wondering if Dodge ever (or does) made available viscious couplers for any of their trucks like they put in Jeeps? In my Overland they're highly effective. Even having a rear only viscious coupler on a 4x4 makes a big difference in snowy winters. I'm not talking about an air/electric locker.

Thanks

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The viscous coupling you are talking about is just a limited slip differential.......the viscosity of the fluid in the plates on the limited slip diff is what transfers torque.

Yes, Ram uses them...but they are called anti-slip differentials.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What the op is talking about is quadradrive and nothing similar on the ram line.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Isn't that used in the "center diff", otherwise known as the Transfer Case?

If I remember correctly, Jeep uses a clutch driven limited slip, just like the 1500's.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What the op is talking about is quadradrive and nothing similar on the ram line.

I don't think so since he said rear axle....quadradrive is the tcase and applies to both axles.

But either way, a limited slip is also a viscous coupling device, as the fluid allows the plates in a clutch type diff to slip.

The auto 4wd acts basically the same way if engaged as quadradrive.