Viscous fan coupling ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
They have an electric fan and a viscous fan. It's 100% normal for it roar like that at first start, especially if it has been sitting for awhile.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
,,,,And completely normal for it to disengage when not needed, which is pretty much all the time if you are moving at a decent speed and/or not towing. (After it originally disengages, I have yet to have mine come full-on, even in Houston stop and go traffic @ 100+ degrees.)

The only 'drag' a viscous clutch places on your engine while disengaged is from the 2 ball bearings inside the clutch while the fan free-wheels.

And even that miniscule amount of bearing drag is not a complete waste. It does (with complete silence) pull just a small bit of air over the rad.

Viscous clutches are probably one of the least understood parts on a modern engine. So many folks know so little about how a viscous clutch works. The unknowing think if you take a viscous clutch that's been sitting for a while (engaged) and spin it by hand, that it ALWAYS has that much drag. Nope. Clutch has to be spun several hundred times (in the right direction) to allow the fluid to pump out of the finned grooves before it disengages.

Still confused? Go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_GkuTgJr3w

I wonder how many electric fans have been sold by folks twisting a viscous clutch after it's been sitting a while??? Wouldn't surprise me that unscrupulous sales folks would have one laying on the counter next to the 'lectric fan display,,, "Here, twist this,,, see how it's robbing your HP?"

LOL!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
,,,,And completely normal for it to disengage when not needed, which is pretty much all the time if you are moving at a decent speed and/or not towing. (After it originally disengages, I have yet to have mine come full-on, even in Houston stop and go traffic @ 100+ degrees.)

The only 'drag' a viscous clutch places on your engine while disengaged is from the 2 ball bearings inside the clutch while the fan free-wheels.

And even that miniscule amount of bearing drag is not a complete waste. It does (with complete silence) pull just a small bit of air over the rad.

Viscous clutches are probably one of the least understood parts on a modern engine. So many folks know so little about how a viscous clutch works. The unknowing think if you take a viscous clutch that's been sitting for a while (engaged) and spin it by hand, that it ALWAYS has that much drag. Nope. Clutch has to be spun several hundred times (in the right direction) to allow the fluid to pump out of the finned grooves before it disengages.

Still confused? Go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_GkuTgJr3w

I wonder how many electric fans have been sold by folks twisting a viscous clutch after it's been sitting a while??? Wouldn't surprise me that unscrupulous sales folks would have one laying on the counter next to the 'lectric fan display,,, "Here, twist this,,, see how it's robbing your HP?"

LOL!

I had one on my 318is bimmer back in the mid 90s. At approx 100K miles it would always remain engaged at all times, first symptom was roaring when pulling off, a kinda fail safe failure I guess. That particular vehicle didnt have an electric fan .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn