Vortec Supercharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamSlammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2015 Ram single cab. want to supercharge it. I have a Vortec V2 supercharger but can not find anyone who makes a mounting bracket for it. Even Vortec said they quit making them for trucks. anyone got any suggestions?

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you can't find a local solution, contact RMCR (Rocky Mountain Competitive Research) (719) 574-0625. That's who Vortech usually refers people to for special brackets and pulleys. They're the most knowledgeable Vortech shop in the country. They do a lot of testing for Vortech. They also do all the work on my vehicles. They're a bit overloaded right now. There's a certain Jeep build they need to finish. ;)

Michael can help you, and get all the parts you'll need. Is it a V-2 or V-2 Ti? The prior is an older model. I just pulled the V-2 Ti off my Jeep and am thinking about putting it on my RAM. Mine's a 2017, but I don't see any reason it would be a problem. When I mentioned it to Michael he said no problem, just need to source a few things. However I caution you not to expect to run more than 6 maybe 8 psi without a built bottom on your motor. The ring lands on these Hemis are quite fragile. I got away with more than that on my 6.1, but don't do as I did. I was lucky and had a built engine on the way, so I wasn't worried.

Good luck!

wink

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've wanted to charge mine awhile now.

Ring lands are less concerning to me than the trans.

Regardless, I'd be the one performing all rebuilds anyways so i guess it doesn't matter what grenades first. But my bet is tranny goes first

OP
OP
R

RamSlammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info wink. How much HP increase can I expect with 7-8 lbs of boost. Only hoping for 100-125 hp increase. Can I expect that safely

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've wanted to charge mine awhile now.

Ring lands are less concerning to me than the trans.

Regardless, I'd be the one performing all rebuilds anyways so i guess it doesn't matter what grenades first. But my bet is tranny goes first

If you stay in a safe boost range, and of course have a safe tune, I'd probably agree. But it's kind of a chicken-egg scenario. To make the tranny fail prematurely, you'll likely have to push the engine into unsafe territory. From what I've seen, most trannies are more forgiving than pistons. My Jeep for example made several hundred passes before 3rd let go. However if I'd tried to push say 12 psi on the stock bottom, it might not've lasted through the first dyno pull. I know of numerous blown GenIII Hemis with several 100k on them. Still running the stock bottom and tranny. But they didn't get greedy and pulley up. Nor hit the track every week. OTOH, I also know of numerous instances of those that threw caution to the wind and their engines broke long before their tranny would've likely failed.

Doing your own work is a huge advantage. Wish I could still work on my stuff. I'd have a lot more money. LOL! However if you do have to pull the engine apart, I highly recommend you put forged pistons and rods back in. You can also beef up the tranny if it goes, and don't forget the rear end and axles. All are weak spots as the power level rises.

wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info wink. How much HP increase can I expect with 7-8 lbs of boost. Only hoping for 100-125 hp increase. Can I expect that safely

Depends on which blower, among other variables. But I think bgray pretty much nailed it. Remember more air going in requires more fuel to match it. Don't want to go too lean!

wink

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Recently I was reading on here about a guy with a mystery leak that ended up being transmission and he is running a supercharger. Not sure how my HP the trans are rated for.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Recently I was reading on here about a guy with a mystery leak that ended up being transmission and he is running a supercharger. Not sure how my HP the trans are rated for.

Trannies are more concerned with torque than horsepower. The 8HP70 is rated for 561 lb ft of torque. So I wouldn't worry unless you really increase power.

Never heard of one failing and leaking from power, but anything is possible. However I have seen them launch shrapnel and take out feet, legs, etc.. I guess that would cause numerous leaks. ;) That's why I have a tranny blanket on my Jeep.

wink

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Why not just go Procharger instead?

OP
OP
R

RamSlammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
by the way wink other than year Our trucks are identical.

OP
OP
R

RamSlammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Gamester. Money game my friend. Procharger is much better I agree. I already have a Vortec V2. Completely rebuilt. Got it from a good friend of mine who was going Turbo instead.

I never thought of it till now but I might be able to use a procharger mounting bracket. Might have to modify attachment holes a little but might work. Might be worth trying

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
by the way wink other than year Our trucks are identical.

Cool trucks for sure! When I spotted mine on the lot, I had to have it. Guess we're Ram brothers, but I feel that way with everyone here.

Hi Gamester. Money game my friend. Procharger is much better I agree. I already have a Vortec V2. Completely rebuilt. Got it from a good friend of mine who was going Turbo instead.

I never thought of it till now but I might be able to use a procharger mounting bracket. Might have to modify attachment holes a little but might work. Might be worth trying

Don't know how they are better than Vortech, except in advertising dollars. Their head units seem to be reliable and make decent power, but if comparing similarly sized units, the Vortechs make more power. For example the D1SC is closer to the V-3, the F1 is closer to the V-2, etc.. Though not quite equal in actual performance. Still waiting for a F1 to catch my V-2. Never had a Procharged vehicle outrun me at the track. But not picking on Procharger alone. Haven't had any of the twin screws (Edlebrock, Magnason, etc.) beat me either. The V-7 YSi has dominated the tracks for years. The YSi does beat me. But not for long. ;)

Procharger's real problem, at least in the Jeep and Dodge worlds, is their hardware is pretty much crap. Every one I've seen or heard about has had belt alignment and pulley issues. Most of those groups usually buy from a certain vendor, Demon Performance, that supplies their own hardware with their Procharger units. Once the hardware issue is resolved they seem to be good units. But I'm not sure I'd go with their hardware to mount your V-2.

In terms of reliability, I can't fault Vortech. I've got 400+ Vortech powered passes. I had a V-3 and overspun the hell out of it. My tech's dad has it on his Impala SS now. Still as strong as the day I bought it. I only upgraded to the V-2 Ti for more power. Overspun it too. It'll probably end up on my Ram one day. But I got bored with that power level as well. So now I'm installing my third Vortech, a V-21 XB110. I doubt it'll bore me anytime soon. But they do make one bigger, the V-28. So far I haven't found another brand I'd rather have. YMMV

wink

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I can attest that the procharger mounting bracket sucks over 8psi when you try to pulley down. The procharger and vortec blowers have different pulley offset and mounting bolt patterns so they're not interchangeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I wish it was easy to supercharge these trucks. All that under hood room makes me want to fill it. Love the supercharger on my hot rod.

The 8spd is stronger than the 6spd , stock 6 spd can barely handle stock power. 6spd can be beefed up and tuning is available vs the 8 spd.

The PCMs in these trucks are a PITA. Bolting the supercharger up is prob the easy part. The you have tuning and adding another fuel pump with regulator for boost etc. normally it's easy but idk if you can run dual pumps in the tank on these trucks or if it would be easier to put a bulkhead fitting on the stock plastic tank and run an external pump.

OP
OP
R

RamSlammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the Info Wink. I am new to the boost game and am just learning. I have contacted the company you suggested and am waiting to hear from them. I am not a 1/4 mile guy anymore. I just love to go from 50 to 100 in the blink of an eye. Dont want to have to spend the money to build rear end and tranny for 1/4. That is what I have my firebird for

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm considering boosting my Ram 1500 as well. I'm in the same boat as the above poster, not really a 1/4 mile guy in this beast but it might be helpful out wheeling, towing or just general shenanigans. I look forward to any other insight that anyone that has experience or with a boosted Ram has to offer. I will keep in mind Demon Performance and/or RMCR when the time comes.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish it was easy to supercharge these trucks. All that under hood room makes me want to fill it. Love the supercharger on my hot rod.

The 8spd is stronger than the 6spd , stock 6 spd can barely handle stock power. 6spd can be beefed up and tuning is available vs the 8 spd.

The PCMs in these trucks are a PITA. Bolting the supercharger up is prob the easy part. The you have tuning and adding another fuel pump with regulator for boost etc. normally it's easy but idk if you can run dual pumps in the tank on these trucks or if it would be easier to put a bulkhead fitting on the stock plastic tank and run an external pump.

It's not difficult really, just can't run a lot of boost on the stock bottom. At least not safely. Haven't seen the tank dropped to know what the fuel setup is on these, but RMCR did a custom in basket dual pumper on my Jeep. You'd think they would be similar, same manufacturer, but I know for a fact the LX models use a completely different fuel hat. But for 6-8 lbs, you won't need an extra pump. Will need bigger injectors though. The kits usually come with them.

Thanks for the Info Wink. I am new to the boost game and am just learning. I have contacted the company you suggested and am waiting to hear from them. I am not a 1/4 mile guy anymore. I just love to go from 50 to 100 in the blink of an eye. Dont want to have to spend the money to build rear end and tranny for 1/4. That is what I have my firebird for

Always glad to help, where I can. They are really busy right now. They just got done with the 1/2 Mile Airstrip competition. They sponsor a few cars. They were wanting me to enter my Jeep, but not enough time. Maybe next year. I may go down there next week and check on things. But I'm sure Michael will return your calls when things get back to normal. They typically spend all their time in the shop, but early morning is the best time to call (9:30-10 MST). He's usually in the office getting caught up on non-wrenching duties then.

I'm considering boosting my Ram 1500 as well. I'm in the same boat as the above poster, not really a 1/4 mile guy in this beast but it might be helpful out wheeling, towing or just general shenanigans. I look forward to any other insight that anyone that has experience or with a boosted Ram has to offer. I will keep in mind Demon Performance and/or RMCR when the time comes.

My Ram wasn't supposed to be a 1/4 mile vehicle either, but they haven't finished my Jeep, and I wanted to play. I've got a little under 1800 miles on it now and I've already made 20 passes. LOL! However I'd still like more power off track in my truck.

RamSlammer and I already have V-2's, so it just makes sense to use what we have. However for anyone that doesn't have a blower, Michael had suggested we put an Edelbrock twin screw on mine. I said no because I tend to think in quarter mile increments. ;) But they're really good blowers and probably make more sense in a truck. Especially one that's more likely to haul a load or tow a trailer than hit the track. They make their power down low but will still satisfy the occasional drag race. Just probably not beat most centrifugal setups. Magnason is another option in twin screws, but personally I'd go with the Edelbrock E-Force. There's also Whipple. They are probably the coolest sounding. But expect more hassle with the install, and they're really pricey. The other two should be really easy. I'm still debating selling my V-2 and going with an E-Force instead. It really depends on what you're looking for. My Jeep is my race car, the Ram is just supposed to be a pickup truck. But Michael will steer you in the right direction. You can trust what he says! Just got to be patient. The better shops like RMCR, Demon, and HHP are always busy.

wink

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to live in Colorado Springs when I was stationed at Fort Carson (about 10 years ago) and they, RMCR, worked on my 08 Charger. They know their HEMIs, whether it's in an LX/LC, Jeep or Ram chassis.

From what I remember, they did some of the very first Vortech SCs on the 5.7s pre and post Eagle heads and were owning Bandimere. That's something to say when you've got a fast, reliable and streetable rig running low ETs at 6000 feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn