WARNING!!!! 2017 Ram 3500, Cummins C/C No oil filter gasket from factory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

longbowdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That's right... changed oil at 4k to find no oil filter gasket was installed on oil filter from the factory. Had no leaks or anything thank god. It was tight as sh-t too. However, please take note. I did call and report it to Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I can't see how it wouldn't be leaking without a gasket. Are you sure the old gasket wasn't just stuck to the baseplate.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can't see how it wouldn't be leaking without a gasket. Are you sure the old gasket wasn't just stuck to the baseplate.

Anything is possible and OP was there but I just can't imagine this is possible. 50-60 psi with metal to metal contact? No way that isn't absolutely spitting oil everywhere.

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The most likely culprit would be the filter stuck the the baseplate, which you'll for sure see a leak with two gaskets.

I remember when I was a teenager, I helped change the oil on my friend's 1998 Explorer (first time either of us did it). We didn't realize the old gasket was stuck and put a new filter and gasket on. Started the explorer up and oil when EVERYWHERE. His mother was so pissed, and his Explorer smoked like a freight train for days.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Either it fell off when he removed the filter or it is double gasketed. Hopefully the first.
Or his next post will be
"My POS cummins blew up and the stealership wont cover it"