Warranty Claim Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2013 ram 1500 with about 46k miles and certified pre-owned so i am debating on the life time warrenty as well i have done some small things to the truck that i hope will not void the current warrenty.

I have swapped the muffler for a flowmaster delta 40, 2.5 inch leveling kit with 285/70/17, and swapped the head unit out for aftermarket.

Will any of these void the limited powertrain warrenty. Im guessing not but just want to know before i drop $3750 on lifetime.

Also i would like to add CAI, sooner or later will a reputable brand be ok? or does mopar sell a CAI for 4.7 i want a little more Umph

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The head unit may.... depends on the dealership and the shop manager. Some can be jerks some can be cool. If its a shop that sells trucks new with performance mods, they likely wont be sticklers. You could try this call and ask to speak to a the service manager and play dumb tell them you are contemplating adding this to your vehicle and want to make sure it wont void your warranty before you do, then you'll have your answer without exposure to voiding your current warranty. That's my 2 cents for what its worth but still no guarantee when the time comes to needing to use it...

Goodluck!

P.S. Personally for the $3750, I'd stick it in a separate account and self warranty any issues down the road :)

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd put that money toward buying a newer truck with a hemi. Seriously that's a allot of money for a warranty. Put money away if you have it or dedicate a credit card just for repairs.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
X2 on that's a lot of guacamole, I'd chance it without warranty. Even if you get an unexpected breakdown it more than likely will run much less that $3750.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn $3750 , had my last Dodge truck for 17 years & about 275k miles and I spent a lot less than $3750 in repairs on it ... then again a major eng or xsmn issue and the $3750 over time in small payments wouldn't seem so bad . Pay attention to the fine print in the lifetime . I believe you have to take it in for all scheduled maint . Not just retain receipts for scheduled maint you've done yourself , I've heard the lifetime warranty is very easy to Void , and remember the SVC manager won't be there for the lifetime of your truck ownership , you may end up with a real ***** that only sees what's written in black and white ...

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its the 4.7 with the 6 speed, i have heard those are very reliable combo so makes me feel better, and i am a stickler for maintenance... i just keeping thinking of my ford 6.0 that i traded in for this that had headgasket failure and whole 9 yards.

Would the after market head unit really void the 100k/5y PT warrenty? otherwise im going to keep my factory headunit for when it needs to go in for work? I have fully integrated it into vehicle settings so i dont need it for that

ohengineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you say 100k/5y Powertrain, are you talking about the factory Ram powertrain warranty? That's a completely different beast then the overpriced lifetime warranty you're looking at. Factory warranties cannot make their own rules, they are subject to legal limitations and exclusions (outlined in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act).

However, your purchased lifetime warranty can make any exclusion it wants. Here is an example:
"[This agreement does not provide coverage] ..For any repair costs or expenses if the vehicle has mechanical alterations not using genuine factory parts installed by an authorized factory dealer, whether or not those alterations caused a failure."
In that case, they could very well make the decision that they don't want to cover your powertrain simply due to your head unit (it is, however, extremely unlikely). Read your contract. Many just stipulate that any related modifications (intake, exhaust, etc) not approved by the manufacturer will void the warranty.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Lifetime warranty on my 2015 was $2300. It went up to $2500 and I was considering not getting it but found it at the old price. A penny more, no way. Those mods you have should not effect the powertrain warranty however.

Canadian_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
its the 4.7 with the 6 speed, i have heard those are very reliable combo so makes me feel better, and i am a stickler for maintenance... i just keeping thinking of my ford 6.0 that i traded in for this that had headgasket failure and whole 9 yards.

Would the after market head unit really void the 100k/5y PT warrenty? otherwise im going to keep my factory headunit for when it needs to go in for work? I have fully integrated it into vehicle settings so i dont need it for that

The 6.0 is the worst engine Ford has ever made and it COST them money.

It's pretty common knowledge to stay away from the 6.0 pokerstroker :puke:

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you say 100k/5y Powertrain, are you talking about the factory Ram powertrain warranty? That's a completely different beast then the overpriced lifetime warranty you're looking at. Factory warranties cannot make their own rules, they are subject to legal limitations and exclusions (outlined in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act).

However, your purchased lifetime warranty can make any exclusion it wants. Here is an example: In that case, they could very well make the decision that they don't want to cover your powertrain simply due to your head unit (it is, however, extremely unlikely). Read your contract. Many just stipulate that any related modifications (intake, exhaust, etc) not approved by the manufacturer will void the warranty.

so something like a muffler swap, head unit, or tires will not void the factory warranty? the service guy told me my tires are fine so i got the in writing believe it or not.

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
They have to prove your mod caused the warranty claim n order to deny it. And its not an all or none deal under the factory warranty. So you changing your muffler would likely not be grounds for denial on say your tranny. But if you change your can and your engine blows up cause the timing was off well that'll prob be denied. Also keep in mind the dealer has incentive he still gets paid to do the work just not nearly as much but the factory that's another story if its some big claim like a new tranny they will check thru the dealer for denial reasons and well at that point the dealer will be on there side so they don't get caught on the hook for it

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk