Weird /Rough start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram82808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey guys , So my truck hit 31k miles and I have notice when starting the truck somethings not right . It sounds like its getting flooded before it cracks . I just changed my plugs this morning and no change . Any one have any advice on this ? on heavy acceleration its also sluggish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

axemann030773

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wonder if proper gap is still relevant? Or if the ignition module is weak?

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kinda plugs, did ya gap em? Sounds like a firing problem, but not sure.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
agreed, plug type and/or gap.

OP
OP
Ram82808

Ram82808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
mopar plugs , and i put a fuel cleaner , I just came from a little getaway and the truck sat for 3 days and its even more noticeable . Im starting to think its the battery . its a sound like if the motor is flooded with gas and then it starts

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys , So my truck hit 31k miles and I have notice when starting the truck somethings not right . It sounds like its getting flooded before it cracks . I just changed my plugs this morning and no change . Any one have any advice on this ? on heavy acceleration its also sluggish.

I'll take a shot at this. The batteries suck. If you got a Trinity see if you got this code P1CF3. The IBS is saying the battery is out of range. Common complaint is cranks longer than normal.

08 - Electrical / 8F - Engine Systems / Battery System / SENSOR, Intelligent Battery (IBS) / Removal
REMOVAL

Remove the components to access the battery (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8F - Engine Systems/Battery System/BATTERY - Removal) .
WARNING: Do not remove the captive nut, doing so will cause the stud to break.

Loosen the captive nut (1).

Disconnect the harness from the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) (2).

Remove the IBS (3) from the negative battery post.

Remove the negative battery cable retainer to the IBS.

Remove the IBS.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has been doing this for about a month. I've reset the pcm and it will start right up normal, but go through a couple of start cycles and will start having trouble again. Finally decided to see what happens without resetting the pcm and code P1CF3 popped up on the trinity. Service manual says:Battery Tempature out of range Low. According to the manual,

Theory of Operation
The Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) is an electrical shunt with a microprocessor and is located on the negative battery post. The IBS measures current flow, voltage, and temperature. The microprocessor uses this data to calculate state of charge, battery internal resistance, charge received, charge delivered, and time in service. These values are then sent on the LIN bus to the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM communicates this information to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) over the CAN bus.

When Monitored:
The Body Control Module (BCM) sends configuration information (size and type of battery) to the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) at every key cycle. The IBS learning process requires approximately 2 to 5 vehicle starts and 8 to 12 hours of key-OFF, non running time, and will repeat every time battery power is removed and restored. IBS learning will be achieved in approximately 2 to 4 days of normal vehicle use and operation.

Set Conditions:
If the installed battery is different than the BCM supplied configuration data, the IBS will ignore the configuration data and report data based on the installed battery. No faults will be set, but a mismatch will be displayed on the scan tool.

Possible causes:

BATTERY
INTELLIGENT BATTERY SENSOR (IBS)

Tested the battery this morning with volt meter: 12.8v

It's got to be the sensor I think. Will try to clean the leads on the sensor see what happens.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have to test the battery under load to get a true measure. A weak or even half dead battery can still show 12.8 volts on a meter. And a weak battery can go on starting the truck for another year or two before becoming to weak to start the truck. The battery on my jeep must have been going bad for a year and I couldnt believe the extra power after installing a new battery. Must have had a constant draw from the alternator.