Weird situation Royal Purple / Amsoil AE filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went out and checked if the amsoil filter from my oil change last week was still in the shop trash can.

Sure enough, and it looks just like the others posted.
When you say just like the others posted, you mean with the small holes open , not completely sealed by the ADBV ?

If so how many miles did you have it on your truck ?
Any abnormal sounds such as lifter chatter ?
Thanks !

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have some Fram Pro Series (FPS10600) and the holes are completely covered by the ADBV. They have "3Z" imprinted on the metal.

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forgot

Forgot to show my RP and the other 4 are exactly the same

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 30

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you say just like the others posted, you mean with the small holes open , not completely sealed by the ADBV ?

If so how many miles did you have it on your truck ?
Any abnormal sounds such as lifter chatter ?
Thanks !

I had about 7,000 on that filter. One time when I started it I has about a second of lifter ticking. I changed oil 2 weeks later.

20151025_150946.jpg

Last edited:

BogsRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^ this pic looks just like the Mobil 1, M1-113 I just removed.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 'ZZ' baseplates in post 23 and 24 are not the same as my other Rand Group filters.

Here is a 10575 for the Wifes 14 Edge: http://www.framcatalog.com/Image.aspx?f=images/Fram/XG10575_FRO.JPG

It has the same 3Z baseplate as the 10600 recommended for late model Rams. The baseplate is 'dished inward' with a raised / threaded center portion

The baseplate on the filters shown above are completely different. Dished outward with 'sunken' threads. May have a completely different ADBV design.

FWIW, I have an ~old~ Ultra XG2 I won't be using on my 14. Why? It has (8) 3/16 sized holes in it's plate. The 10600 also has (8), but they are each about 3X as large as the 2's,,, Makes the 'base plate flow potential' of the 2 look 'less',,, and that might slow me down!!! LOL!!!

http://www.framcatalog.com/Image.aspx?f=images/Fram/XG2_FRO.JPG

Heck, as slow as I go, I could probably get along with (2) 3/16 holes!!!!! LOL!!!

Last edited:

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry

We never made it to Wally World we had a ton of running to do and limited time due to my parents babysitting for us and it was last on the list so I think me and my right hand lil man will go do some researching. It's actually kinda comical the amount of stuff me and my 18 month old son get into. I know this is off topic but proud daddy moment yesterday I was working on getting my old scrambler back together and was running "1/2" air tools and he helped run the impact Gun on the clutch puller not scared at all it was so awesome you wrench heads get it

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
We never made it to Wally World we had a ton of running to do and limited time due to my parents babysitting for us and it was last on the list so I think me and my right hand lil man will go do some researching. It's actually kinda comical the amount of stuff me and my 18 month old son get into. I know this is off topic but proud daddy moment yesterday I was working on getting my old scrambler back together and was running "1/2" air tools and he helped run the impact Gun on the clutch puller not scared at all it was so awesome you wrench heads get it

That's awesome. I had my 2-1/2 year old son running the impact drill installing fence pickets. When we were finished he kept asking where the drill was.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have some Fram Pro Series (FPS10600) and the holes are completely covered by the ADBV. They have "3Z" imprinted on the metal.

I grabbed a 6 pack of them a while back for the RAM. They'll do anything the 'boutique' filters do for considerably less $$$. But, if one has to have a certain flavor, a certain color, what can I say?

=)

Last edited:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last edited:

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I grabbed a 6 pack of them a while back for the RAM. They'll do anything the 'boutique' filters do for considerably less $$$. But, if one has to have a certain flavor, a certain color, what can I say?

=)

Yep, I grabbed a 6 pack as well. Using red line oil at 10k intervals, should work great and save me a little dinero in the meantime while still getting great synthetic media filtration.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If anyone other then Burla cuts open their filter, then it is cool, but if Burla does it then you give me stink. What gives slow roller? Now you are in favor of cutting the filters open?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lol , I don't get it , but I'm sure that has legs and it's funny !

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
He gives me hell for cutting a RP filter open at 14 months and says that doesn't prove anything, but posts a cut open filter of his brand and that is just awesome. Typical BITOG stuff right there.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lol !

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Those drainback valves wont work period. I bet ram dealers complained they were spilling too much oil when they change oil filters, so ram specked out the drainback valve.

Here, I just need one of you super genius's to tell me how those drainbacks with a gap will function, so I can get some sleep tonight.

It's like buying a roofing tile with a hole in it and say awe no problem, I am still protected. It probably will take a long time for that rain to get through the plywood.

Last edited:

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those drainback valves wont work period. I bet ram dealers complained they were spilling too much oil when they change oil filters, so ram specked out the drainback valve.

Here, I just need one of you super genius's to tell me how those drainbacks with a gap will function, so I can get some sleep tonight.

It's like buying a roofing tile with a hole in it and say awe no problem, I am still protected. It probably will take a long time for that rain to get through the plywood.

I could be semi touched in the head here but I was looking at it and thinking the same thing you said about the oil going everywhere when taken off. So it could be they reversed the drain back valve to accomadate the oil everywhere complainers and the valve still works as it up further in the filter canister which would cause a slight delay upon start up on the oil traveling upwards. i admit I don't know if this theory is true as maybe the drain back valve being reversed would make it not function at all I'm just putting this out there for others thoughts like burla or other members whom have hours of research invested in oil and oil filters as I've personally never taken a filter apart or sent oil into a lab for specs so those who have can put valuable real world knowledge out there to help us figure this out.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Burka,,, YOU were the one giving me hell for me NOT cutting open a filter,,, implying that by cutting one open yourself, you somehow had some kind of 'advanced knowledge' of what's inside a filter.

And guess what???,, I still haven't cut one single filter open myself and I've solved your 'why does it look different?' dilemma just by spending a few minutes researching online.

If you can't understand simply by looking of photos of how each of the different endplates and different ADBV's 'mate/function', well, I guess maybe you'll have to take your own advice and cut one of each flavor open and play with them for a while,,,

(Oh, and your theory about 'oil everywhere' is hogwash as well. Oil filter ADBV design does nothing for oil that drains out of the engine oil passages once you remove the filter.)

And once again, for the umpteenth time, back on 'ignore' you go!!

Last edited: