What about k&n cai????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am seeing these with 100,00o mile filters and 15hp gains claimed at $286.00 to the door.little cheaper then s&b andf vararam. so are they decent? are there any gains? they have been in the business for a while,doesn;t mean there great just that they have been doing it a while. and for years we have all heard the name. so any input would be great as I will be ordering monday/tuesday next week. S&B OR K&N. Thanks guys.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont think you will get any real HP gains from intakes on our truck without a tune... Your pretty much buying it for a little more engine noise. I have a question for you though.... were you sober when you wrote your post? lol

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the K&N (no difference) on and took it off and went with the Vararam Air Grabber (big difference), much nicer unit too, IMO.

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:happy107: Gotta go with the VARARAM--

The K&N filter will change is EFFECIENCY every time you clean it and oil it--you're not oiling the filter with laboratory equipment, so it's always HIT/MISS--

It's a waste of money--

Whatever

Good luck

:crazy: JIMBO

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I would roll with the S&B unit , true cold air intake as is your factory unit

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I am seeing these with 100,00o mile filters and 15hp gains claimed at $286.00 to the door.little cheaper then s&b andf vararam. so are they decent? are there any gains? they have been in the business for a while,doesn;t mean there great just that they have been doing it a while. and for years we have all heard the name. so any input would be great as I will be ordering monday/tuesday next week. S&B OR K&N. Thanks guys.
K&N is an open top CAI. It attempts and fails to seal against the underside of the hood. I ran one for 4 years on my old 4.7L Durango before I knew any better.

It leaves a gap to suck from the heat saturated under hood air--not the colder outside air the OEM box and the S&B suck-on through the passenger side fender.

So the K&N is poser loud with throttle noise under load, you cant have a conversation or hear your tunes when your right foot is into the skinny pedal, and you get no cold combustion air.

Save your lunch money a little longer and go with either S&B if you are concerned about ingesting snow/rain, or a Vararam if you want a ram-air like effect in a CAI.
S&B draws through the right fender and is sealed so no heated intake air. Vararam looks like the old school Hemi filter and has that ram-air from sucking over the top (not through) the radiator as a plus.

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) Bingo--the man tells it like it is-

K&N is an open top CAI. It attempts and fails to seal against the underside of the hood. I ran one for 4 years on my old 4.7L Durango before I knew any better.

It leaves a gap to suck from the heat saturated under hood air--not the colder outside air the OEM box and the S&B suck-on through the passenger side fender.

So the K&N is poser loud with throttle noise under load, you cant have a conversation or hear your tunes when your right foot is into the skinny pedal, and you get no cold combustion air.

Save your lunch money a little longer and go with either S&B if you are concerned about ingesting snow/rain, or a Vararam if you want a ram-air like effect in a CAI.
S&B draws through the right fender and is sealed so no heated intake air. Vararam looks like the old school Hemi filter and has that ram-air from sucking over the top (not through) the radiator as a plus.

:crazy: JIMBO

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have one on our Durango w/3.6 & it seals under the hood great & did get a little more throttle response & a 1mpg gain.
I have one on my 2500 Ram as well. It seals pretty well & I added a 3" tube from the grille to the bottom of the air box. With a 7,000lb. truck it is hard to feel if I gained 15hp. :) This with my exhaust should give me better gains when I spend the big bucks for a tuner.
Long story short, if I had a 1500 w/5.7 I would save my money to get a Vararam. They currently do not offer one for the 6.4.
More owners than not on here will tell ya they can feel a better throttle response on here from the Vararam.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I have said a number of times before, if you are looking for a HP gain don't waste money on an intake, keep your money in your pocket and get a catch can instead. :)

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go with whatever you like. None of them give you a gain in horsepower.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
S&B OR K&N

S&B all the way, it is a well engineered piece and it is a true CAI. The K&N is not a true CAI as it is open on the top hoping the hood will seal it. I have a S&B, it fit perfect and has a huge filter, I know people say they don't do anything but I could tell a difference.

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My friend works at K&N here in Riverside, CA.

He tells me that the dyno sheets that K&N does are 100% accurate.
They have to test cars on their in house dyno that have to be completely stock when they take them in.
And the 2 dyno runs are done right after each other to get similar test situations.
So I believe the HP gains where done on a 5-6 speed last time I checked, so it may be a different gain on the 8 speed.

So as far as the HP gains, they are real.
And I have a K&N on my truck and I think its great.
I would oonly want a Vararam over my K&N because it looks cool.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So much false information. They do give you power but only under WOT and in the higher rpms. However, k&n filter element sucks. Find a better filter and you'll be good or go with another complete system. An intake will allow the engine to breath EASIER, it will not flow more air as the engine is limited by the heads and intake manifold. It'll give you a nice sound, a tad bit more on the top end, maybe some mpgs and a louder sound. The hate for intakes comes from the whole it's a waste of money, it doesn't add hp, you can get more for your money and sure some of that is true. Adding 5-10hp is not noticeable on the street. There are different mods you can do that'll add more power for the money, like a tuner. But you pair a quality intake, tb, headers and or exhaust and everything will compliment each other more. To each their own but the false statements about intakes comes with little understanding of what's to be gained and where at.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And no one @ k/n tells fibs either...Some fellows here locally in my area ran k/n air filters in their race bikes,went back to stock filter till they had time to order better..I keep seeing on kijji and ebay n such of people selling cause all they did was take $$ from their pocket..
Only way a cai works is in conjunction with other performance parts...Throttle responce,maybe but with limited gain there..Hp gain,unless your on a dyno your not gonna notice squat with a 15 hp gain..
None of them make any real gains if any till your at higher speeds to get a bit of a ram effect,so unless your doin 80mpg + all the time you aint seeing any real value for your $$..

OP
OP
W

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
well that was alot of info pretty quick so k&n is out,Seems the only consistant positive info is on the s&B unit on this post and others. It will be paired up with a bigger tb,carven exhaust and catch can,but only fast as funds allow. then some where down the line a tuner just depends on cash and also watching out not to screw uo warranty,truck only has 5500 miles on it and I have done alot so far as far as lift,tires etc. thanks for all the input guys.

OP
OP
W

workd4it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
oh yay to the guy who ask if I was drunk when I wrote the first post can'T REMEMBER.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
toys

well that was alot of info pretty quick so k&n is out,Seems the only consistant positive info is on the s&B unit on this post and others. It will be paired up with a bigger tb,carven exhaust and catch can,but only fast as funds allow. then some where down the line a tuner just depends on cash and also watching out not to screw uo warranty,truck only has 5500 miles on it and I have done alot so far as far as lift,tires etc. thanks for all the input guys.

Wait till ya get it all at once..Then you will feel what changed and be able to put a few more miles on the truck..

Here is a hint..Look around at the stand alone tuners,might be cheaper to go a piece at a time...Rather than getting a diablo ecu,look for a smashed up trk and buy the used ecu from that..Gotta be same engine and yr though..ebay has had the ecu's there for about $100ish..Still needs to be sent to diablo to clear it for your truck's vin..

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I'm confused if they don't make a difference why are you guys spending so much for these fancy filters unless you are going to spend several grand more for performance enhancements I would say its a waste of money. I would do my muffler because it sounds good either than that until I can afford a super charger kit its staying stock lol.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm confused if they don't make a difference why are you guys spending so much for these fancy filters unless you are going to spend several grand more for performance enhancements I would say its a waste of money. I would do my muffler because it sounds good either than that until I can afford a super charger kit its staying stock lol.

It's part of the "Total" performance package, by itself, not a whole lot of bang, after performance upgrades and tuner, you'd be "choked" without one.