What filter do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Decided to make the switxh to Redline and I'm going to change my own oil. Wanted to know what everyone uses as a filter? I have heard good things about Wix filters.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Mobil One 1-301 (Longer Than Stock Filter)

For sure fits 02-08 (3/4" 16 Thread) not sure for later Models incl new 4th Gen Motor as a switch to 22mm may have happened somewhere along the Line.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
The Royal Purple filter gets pretty rave reviews. Mobil-1 and K&N and almost anything name brand except Fram are good.

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Decided to make the switxh to Redline and I'm going to change my own oil. Wanted to know what everyone uses as a filter? I have heard good things about Wix filters.

I use Redline and I use a Mobil 1 filter.

ZCR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi A8 3.92
Actually, I'm pretty impressed by the Fram Ultra Synthetic.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I "believe" the following are 100 synthetic media filters, and if you plan on doing an extended oil change like myself you probably want to use one of these. I know Royal Purple is. You don't want paper filters if you are going 15k between oil changes unless you plan on changing filters only within that 15k. My current plan is when I hit 5k to change my filter only, I might have to add a quart depending on how much oil I save, and then send in for a sample to see how Redline holds up against long term oil changes in the hemi.

Royal Purple
Amsoil EA
Wix XP
Fram Ultra?? Maybe
Napa Platinum
Purolator Synthetic

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Napa Gold (Wix) or Napa Platinum. How long to you plan to run Redline? It's a great oil, but I wouldn't run it while under warranty.

Nubster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, I'm pretty impressed by the Fram Ultra Synthetic.

For $8, this is a great option. Gets awesome reviews over at Bob is the oil guy...if it gets good marks there, I'd trust it on my vehicle. They are good for up to 15k miles too so that makes it even a better value.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Napa Gold (Wix) or Napa Platinum. How long to you plan to run Redline? It's a great oil, but I wouldn't run it while under warranty.

Why not while under warranty?

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Running synthetic oil under warranty is completely fine. I use redline synthetic with royal purple filters.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

A warranty company has to prove you were negligent to deny coverage thanks to Magnuson–Moss, good luck proving the best oil you can by contributed to any possible warranty problem. People still think they have to worry about warranty deniles, it is the exact opposite. Under current law any body denying warranty for a legitimate warranty faces much worse penalties then just paying it. IF ANY MANUFACTURER DENY'S YOU WARRANTY SUE THEIR FAWKING ASS, THE LAW IS ON YOUR SIDE AND JUDGES DO NOT LIKE CORPORATE BULL CRAP.

Remedies under the Act Finally, consumers may seek redress in the courts for alleged violations of the Magnuson-Moss Act. A consumer who has been injured by the noncompliance of a supplier may bring an action in federal court if the amount in controversy is over $25,000 or a class action if the number of class plaintiffs is greater than 100. If the jurisdictional amount, or number of plaintiffs, do not meet these thresholds, an action under the act may be brought only in state court.[10] Moreover, one of the key aids to the effectiveness of the Act is that a prevailing plaintiff may recover reasonable costs of suit, including attorney fees.[11]

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I knew I'd start something here. That's just my opinion. I know Redline is excellent. But, it's overkill while following factory warranty. It's also not API certified, nor does it meet Chrysler's spec. In the event of an engine-related failure, Chrysler could deny a warranty claim. I doubt that would ever happen, but I don't want to take that risk. Mobil 1 also does not meet Chrysler's spec, so I guess I shouldn't be running it either (picked up during Costco sale). I need to stick with Pennzoil Platinum. I've been member of BITOG for many years. I'm more of a casual observer. Most everyone will say to follow your manual and document while under warranty.

When shopping for oil, watch out for key words like "exceeds spec xyz" or "recommended for". These do no mean "meets".

We take similar risks when installing lifts, and over-sized tires. Some dealers may cover drivetrain warranty. Some could be ******, and won't. I've read of both happening.

Same risk with a tuner...or I know I blew my audio warranty with the upgrades.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I knew I'd start something here. That's just my opinion. I know Redline is excellent. But, it's overkill while following factory warranty. It's also not API certified, nor does it meet Chrysler's spec. In the event of an engine-related failure, Chrysler could deny a warranty claim. I doubt that would ever happen, but I don't want to take that risk. Mobil 1 also does not meet Chrysler's spec, so I guess I shouldn't be running it either (picked up during Costco sale). I need to stick with Pennzoil Platinum. I've been member of BITOG for many years. I'm more of a casual observer. Most everyone will say to follow your manual and document while under warranty.

When shopping for oil, watch out for key words like "exceeds spec xyz" or "recommended for". These do no mean "meets".

We take similar risks when installing lifts, and over-sized tires. Some dealers may cover drivetrain warranty. Some could be ******, and won't. I've read of both happening.

Same risk with a tuner...or I know I blew my audio warranty with the upgrades.

Not at all, this is welcome information and an opportunity for me to address it and for folks to be informed. Dodge or Ram would have to prove Redline is not to API standards, not that it isn't API certified which is totally voluntary. Dodge's recommended specs (API SH or SH/CD) are so obsolete that Dodge has never updated their requirements and in court they would look real stupid on that point, yeah? Redline is recommended for API sn/sm/sl/cf as stated right on bottle, but yes technically doesn't have the API cert. Again, the warranty company has all the burdens and they could never prove Redline is an inferior oil, lol. Furthermore, redline's other oils are specifically made to each manufacturer. Of course no engine oil is made for any manufacturer, but all transmission fluids are. Redline's C+ ATF is specifically for Chrysler ATF+, +2, +3 (Type 7176) and ATF+4 (Type 9602) requirements, and there gear oils also satisfy Chrysler requirements. I encourage you to do a little more research on the subject if you are considering Redline oil, or not if you are running something else.

Read up on API standards here.

Dodges oil specs, will make you laugh.

Funny I read my manual and it doesn't even state any specs at all, just that it be API, lol. About as random as you can be?

Last edited:

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Puralator filter, penzoil conventional oil. Changed every 3,000 till I hit 12,000miles. Now I run my oil for 5,000miles on a single oil and filter. Each is to his own on oil and filters all that stuff is about the same in my opinion. I've seen the fram and cheapest oil used without any problems before. I've not used it idk why really but people claim you get better mpg with synthetic due to it being lighter and causing less friction. Imo oils and filters that claim they can run 10,000 plus miles is a hoax and I would never do run oil longer then 5,000. Reason being it's true now days oils can run that long before it breaks down but it's going to be twice as dirty and your going to be twice as likely to have a engine problem! Any one got any tips on draining the oil filter it spills all over the steering components during a change?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Another Ram owner taught me this, take a plastic bag and cover the filter when you take it off after you hand loosen it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody else use Purolator Pure One?