What a PITA!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Trying to find the Pennzoil ultra for my 6.4 I have checked every parts house in my area, researched extensively on the inter web and cant find anything else that meets the ms-12633 spec. I think I will just use mobile one full synthetic until the Pennzoil becomes more available. My only other source is Amazon and it would be cheaper just to have the dealer change it. Any thoughts?

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i think the only 3 options out there that meet the spec of the pennzoil, amsoil, and mopar (which im pretty sure is re-labeled pennzoil). there was a seller on ebay that had bulk quarts of mopar 0w-40 for around $7/qt shipped.

Iz48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everyone has there opinion on oils and what to use. As for me nothing but schaeffer's. Cost just as much to change it my self vs taking it to the dealer. But at the end of the day you know everything is correct. I've left dealerships and checked the lug nuts only to find them hand tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rabbitreborn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just bought 7 quarts of the Pennzoil and an oil filter on ebay for $70 as a package deal.

See the problem I have with that is if you buy the 4 oil change package from the dealer, your cost per change is $45 each. After 4 changes, you have saved $100 plus the time to do it and dispose of the old oil.

In addition, by letting the dealer do it, you get all the updates/flashes done AND if there is ever a situation of warranty, the dealer can't say the oil changes were done using the wrong oil......

As for them not tightening something, my thought is, if they did the oil change and left the drain plug loose, or didn't tighten the filter enough and it causes a catastrophic engine failure, guess who gets to pay for a replacement engine...... I can guarantee you it won't be me ponying up the money for it......

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just bought 7 quarts of the Pennzoil and an oil filter on ebay for $70 as a package deal.

I assume your going for a longer oci, do I would want a few extra quarts to top up the oil if needed over the longer oci.

rabbitreborn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
History has shown that every dealership always steps up and does the right thing if they ever make a mistake --- and you're reading this on the internet so you know it's gotta be true
Jay

It's amazing how a phone call to the right lawyer can get a dealership that doesn't want to step up to suddenly change their mind.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I assume your going for a longer oci, do I would want a few extra quarts to top up the oil if needed over the longer oci.

Change every 6k. Never uses any. Always filled to the top. Last time the dealership put in 5w20. I told the service advisor before I left and they pulled it back in and changed it again. That's why I'm doing it myself now.