What's the best supercharger for 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
So you touched on it a bit but couldn't you get a better cooling system to improve density and efficiency??

Yes you can but here's where it can get interesting between the different blower styles. A positive displacement uses an air-to-water heat exchanger between the compressor lobes and the heads, this heat exchanger is limited by the dimensions of the housing. You can use a larger cooler for the heat transfer medium to have a cooler initial temp but you can't make the heat exchanger any bigger. Get used to having a beer cooler in the passenger's seat full of ice with a heat coil plumbed into it if you want to cool it down better.

A centrifugal blower or turbo can use either an air-to-water or an air-to-air intercooler which doesn't have the same packaging constrains as the positive displacement. If you want more cooling, install a larger or deeper intercooler, they don't even need to be in the front of the vehicle, they can be remote mounted and use a fan to pull air through them. If they're in a good air flow the faster you go the more your temperatures will stay the same as there is more air flow through the intercooler even as the output temp from the blower increases. There is also the option of injecting a cooling agent like nitrous or carbon dioxide across the intercooler.

You can always chemically intercool the air stream with water, water-****, or nitrous injection and these work great in addition to the aforementioned cooling methods and have a bigger effect on cooling than on a N/A build since it has a higher starting temp than a N/A air charge. With my 50% water/**** I would see temps equal to ambient and with the nitrous I could be 10-15*C lower than ambient.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Talked to a buddy at Edelbrock, he said nothing definite on the 8 speed Hemi Supercharger, yet.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So you touched on it a bit but couldn't you get a better cooling system to improve density and efficiency??

Like charonblk said, with positive displacement blowers you can't really change the cooling without changing the blower. This is the reason why a friend of mine with a built 03 lightning has to have a special aluminum coolant reservoir that is its own dedicated cooling system just for the heat exchanger in the Whipple. He runs straight water with RP water wetter in it, and has some crazy system that runs off the AC compressor and uses refrigerant to cool down the water used in the blowers cooling system. He also brings a damn cooler full of ice to the track, and adds a few cups to the water before each pass. All this just to achieve IATs that were only 20*F ABOVE ambient.

There's nothing to be done about the heat exchanger inside the blower, so you can only decrease the temp of the coolant as much as possible before it goes in.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Peak power at redline? Isn't that bad? I thought the point of having your peak set at a certain range (say 3500 - 6500 RPM) so that when you shift to the next highest gear you want your RPMs to fall right in your peak power range?

Good points on superchargers :favorites13:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Peak power at redline? Isn't that bad? I thought the point of having your peak set at a certain range (say 3500 - 6500 RPM) so that when you shift to the next highest gear you want your RPMs to fall right in your peak power range?

Good points on superchargers :favorites13:
All it means is that as the rpm climbs so does the power, it's not a bad thing. A positive displacement is a flatter torque curve, a centrifugal will keep climbing as rpm increases but both will drop in a shift and begin to climb again. I'll drop 4 psi on a shift but I'm dropping from 13psi to 9psi and coming right back up and the engine is still very much in the powerband since I only drop 2000rpm on a shift (6100 to 4100). Centrifugal blowers tend to have a higher peak hp over positive displacement at the same boost level so while the power drop may be bigger on the centrifugal compared to a positive displacement on a shift, it's starting at a higher point and the net output is relatively even between the two with the difference being from how well they are intercooled.

Last edited:

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely seems that centrifugal is becoming the way of the future.
Roots blowers look badass on old muscle cars I think and is my favorite appearance wise on those cars.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Definitely seems that centrifugal is becoming the way of the future.
Roots blowers look badass on old muscle cars I think and is my favorite appearance wise on those cars.

More like Turbo's, but turbo power as been the norm for a while.

Centrifugal's have been around a while, they just weren't has popular 10-15 years ago Roots blowers were mass produced on for OEM cars and more readily available making them a little cheaper.

I think the only reason you see Centrifugals now is to be different because everybody has gone turbo or twin turbo.

It all depends on your goals for HP and/or 1/4 times. There's nothing wrong with roots blower especially with the twin screws and their very efficient rotors. They produce heat but not nearly as bad as the old Heaton blowers. lol

Slowpar R/T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
ive never actually seen a stock car with a centrifugal setup, maybe ive just never looked hard enough.

Anyway if i had to guess, it would be for that near instant power a twinscrew gives.

Some Fords came with them in the 50s - e.g. Thunderbirds

DFBird-7.jpg

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
The Edelbrock is actually a great kit. They make them for many cars and is great to add to a Daily driver to give it some more pep. But if you want some serious HP there is other options.

Of course like we all know in the 5/6 speed world, you better get a built trans before even thinking about a power adder.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Both the Edelbrock and the Magnuson use a roots style blower, not a twin screw. More specifically, they use the 2.3L TVS, which is better than the normal roots blowers, but not quite as good as a twin screw. Pretty sure both kits have MASSIVE IAT issues.

Personally, I'd love to get a whipple, and I'm trying to figure out how to do that, but I haven't found the time to dedicate to figuring it all out yet.

Slowpar R/T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Both the Edelbrock and the Magnuson use a roots style blower, not a twin screw. More specifically, they use the 2.3L TVS, which is better than the normal roots blowers, but not quite as good as a twin screw. Pretty sure both kits have MASSIVE IAT issues.

Personally, I'd love to get a whipple, and I'm trying to figure out how to do that, but I haven't found the time to dedicate to figuring it all out yet.

if/when you figure it out let me know! lol :favorites13:

Mennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont have first hand knowledge of the centrifugal chargers but i do of the roots style. My last truck was a 2005 Joe Gibbs Silverado and it came from gibbs performance with a magnuson gen v (pre TVS) roots charger.

All i ever added was a volant CAI with scoop and changed pulleys. It had monster torque down bottom. Its been several years but if my memory serves It dynoed at 430 ish but i do remember it was right around 500 ftlb tq.

JGP only modified 2400 units. Some were single cab, some extended and some were tahoes. 2400 over a span of 3 years so many of you have probably never heard of them. Mine was a 2005 extended cab.

Due to the reliability of that charger I am looking for another roots. I have a 4x4 sport now and do not need top end performance. I want the bottom end tq to get my 37s up to speed better and for any off roading or trail riding that i may decide to do.

I put 186k on that truck with no problems except tranny any that was after 135k . I bought an 8500 lb boat and destroyed 2 trannys towing it within 2 years so i sold the boat and never had another problem with it.

do to tq and reliability and driveability i will buy another roots style.

Joe Gibbs' 2004 Chevy Silverado - Super Chevy Magazine

springer67

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 express rcsb
Engine
pentastar 3.6 v6
While it's nothing like turbo lag the positive displacement blowers make power at a lower rpm and the centrifugal blowers need a higher engine rpm to start making power. Example, a local guy with the Edelbrock e-force starts building boost at 2200rpm and was at full boost by 3500rpm but my D1SC setup started building boost at 2600rpm and continued to build boost up to 5000rpm. If I wanted a higher boost then I could swap to a smaller pulley (belt slippage not withstanding) and get more and faster. There are so many variables to play with but it comes down to matching components properly, a centrifugal blower works best when paired with the proper torque converter.

You may already know this but procharger has a way around the higher rpm before meaningful boost conundrum. See procharger home, I-1. Think extra transmission, [cvt] and programmable to boot. Of course it looks like more money, weight, and a bit more drive loss but I think it compares favorably to high helix roots/screw at lower rpm besides still being its efficient self as rpm rises. Now if I can just find a centrifugal kit for my new 3.6 ram..

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think many people forget how much boost a PD will make at low RPM.

Example. On my mustang I was running an Eaton M122. At full boost, it made about 17 lbs. On the highway at 1,500rpm I could floor it and it would make 7 lbs.

And the M122 is a ****** blower, especially compared to some of the models they have now.