whats next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have a 2012 1500 express Quad cab 4x4. so far i put on a flowmaster super 40 series and k&n CAI, also had the resonators deleted. my question is, along with getting a catch can, should i get a ported TB or would it be more cost effective for me to stick with headers? any advise is mush appreciated. thanks!

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i would go with the TB first then headers later

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The TB is much cheaper and easier to install, but headers are going to show a bigger overall gain. We are running as sale on the throttle bodies through Christmas day though for an extra $20 off. If this is a mod you are considering, then now is the time to take advantage of the deal. Just use coupon code TB20 at checkout to get the discount. Many guys get the catch can and TB at the same time. The guys that get the TB first end up seeing how filthy their stock one is when replacing it, and call for a catch can a day later...haha.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The TB is much cheaper and easier to install, but headers are going to show a bigger overall gain. We are running as sale on the throttle bodies through Christmas day though for an extra $20 off. If this is a mod you are considering, then now is the time to take advantage of the deal. Just use coupon code TB20 at checkout to get the discount. Many guys get the catch can and TB at the same time. The guys that get the TB first end up seeing how filthy their stock one is when replacing it, and call for a catch can a day later...haha.

yeah, that's when i noticed how filthy my old one was.

OP
OP
usmc1217

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
as far as the TB goes, i just hit 6k miles on my truck, if i took the stock TB off, you think ill see a bunch of gunk build up in there?

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I can say that headers were a pain in the **** to install, but well worth it.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
as far as the TB goes, i just hit 6k miles on my truck, if i took the stock TB off, you think ill see a bunch of gunk build up in there?

At 6k miles you might see some oil on the TB, but it shouldnt be gunked up. I had 2 customers switch from our 85mm to our 87mm TB after only putting about 1k miles on them, and both had a little oil on the blade when I removed them.

OP
OP
usmc1217

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok sweet, i was gonna take the tb off and have a look at it but ill do it after i get the tb and catch can. as far as performance goes, should i expect anything from putting the 87mm tb in? i know the catch can isnt exactly a performance mod. but ive been reding alot about how ported tb's wont work unless you have ported heads and what not but seeing that you are the one actually sells them ill take your advise :)

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
We shipped out 4 87mm TB's to bone stock trucks before we started selling these openly just to see how they would react. Each customer noticed improvements over stock. The more mods you add, the better that 87mm TB is going to perform though. My general rule of thumb is that you want to have at least headers, intake, and a tune to take full advantage of the TB. If you know those mods are coming down the road, then it is better to get the 87mm now so you dont end up having to sell it and spend moe money down the road to upgrade.