What's that squeaking????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed this about a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes it there sometimes it isn't. I just set up an appointment at the dealership. Think its a belt? Pulley? Only 3k miles on my truck lol

http://youtu.be/yNBgIWJ9AOw

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any thoughts?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can always diagnose a belt squeak by spraying some silicone on the belt, if the squeak goes away you will know the belt is not in alignment. Also, usually the belt with show some signs of fraying. Inspect the belt it if is frayed at all then you just need to realign the Pully. Is it worse when it rains or right when it stops raining? Water usually makes it worse.

After listening- It doesn't sound like belt squeak to me (I could be wrong though), it almost sounds like bearing squeak. You can spray a little silicone on the pully and if it doesn't go away it is likely alternator bearing. I think it is a good thing you are taking it to dealer.

Actually, scratch spraying silicone on the belt, just take it to the dealer. In general you can diagnose that squeak in that way but since you are taking it to the dealer anyway no reason to mess up your pully. Besides it is always a temporary fix anyway, the belt will always go into squeak again "If" it wasn't in alignment or loose.

Last edited:

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Doesn't sound like a belt squeal to me.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, I think what we have here is an example of what happens when the belt is too tight. When they are too loose the belt squeaks, when they are too tight something else has to give.

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I think what we have here is an example of what happens when the belt is too tight. When they are too loose the belt squeaks, when they are too tight something else has to give.

Rough......I guess that's what warranty is for.

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealership just called and is trying to tell me the squeaking is my engine cover. They say it isn't on properly because of my aftermarket CAI and oil seperator! Really? ******* idiots.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They are full of chit, get it in writing and go to a mom and pop shop, and sue them for repairs and failure to honor warranty in small claims. I say the belt is too tight and it is throwing the alternator bearings out of whack. Maybe all you have to do is loosen the belt, but the more it goes the more likely you will have to replace the Alt, if that is it.

Just take engine cover off, squeaking still there then what can they say?

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are full of chit, get it in writing and go to a mom and pop shop, and sue them for repairs and failure to honor warranty in small claims. I say the belt is too tight and it is throwing the alternator bearings out of whack. Maybe all you have to do is loosen the belt, but the more it goes the more likely you will have to replace the Alt, if that is it.

Just take engine cover off, squeaking still there then what can they say?

I am here now waiting to talk to a tech. I am going to show him the video. I can't believe how ******* clueless they are sometimes. ****** me off though.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If they insist on being stupid, they sell a serpentine and timing belt tension tester at most auto parts stores for like 15 bucks. I never used one, never had to, but I know they exist.

Last edited:

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Take the cover off and prove them wrong lol.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Sounds like a bearing, alt or something.

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just showed him the video and took him to the truck. I started the truck and it started to make the same noise lol I looked at him and said wtf. Your telling me that's my plastic engine cover.......he agreed with me and said they will order a new belt and start there. Goes to show you if it doesn't throw a code they don't know what the **** to do imo.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It was a brand new truck and they put together a bunch of these. There are bound to be some issues from time to time. It is a very small chance it is the belt, belt squeak is usually a pully out of whack anyhow, especially with so few miles. Did you ask him if he thought the belt was too tight throwing a bearing? Maybe when he puts the new belt on he wont put it on too tight.

Or another thought it could just be a bad bearing w/o have extra tension. It happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was a brand new truck and they put together a bunch of these. There are bound to be some issues from time to time. It is a very small chance it is the belt, belt squeak is usually a pully out of whack anyhow, especially with so few miles. Did you ask him if he thought the belt was too tight throwing a bearing? Maybe when he puts the new belt on he wont put it on too tight.

I mentioned that and he said the belt can't be to tight because they have a tensioner.......

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
**** tell them to take the belt off and spin all the pulleys and you will for sure be able to feel the rough spot that is making those squeaks.

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
**** tell them to take the belt off and spin all the pulleys and you will for sure be able to feel the rough spot that is making those squeaks.

They replaced the belt and it still is making the noise. They told me to call them next week and they will get me to bring it in. They also said they don't think it will hurt anything. Not sure if I should just take it to another dealer.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
And tensioners never fail? they are the one part on a truck that is perfect because it was made by God? Clearly the guy doesn't know what the problem is or it would be fixed, lol. Just perhaps they shouldn't tell you what it isn't, until they tell you what it is.

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And tensioners never fail? they are the one part on a truck that is perfect because it was made by God? Clearly the guy doesn't know what the problem is or it would be fixed, lol. Just perhaps they shouldn't tell you what it isn't, until they tell you what it is.

Lmao I agree. The guy just wrote the work order up as needs a new belt! How about they tell the tech what's going on and ask him to find the problem..........
Like I said they have no code to read so they are baffled. Tempted to diagnose and fix it myself, then send them an invoice lol

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good thing it wasn't humming... they'd try to tell you it was haunted.