Wheel lock: factory installed ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most of the trucks i've seen have them installed or in the glovebox... I switched mine out to a black set made by Gorilla where they are all locks!

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Mine came on from factory and immediately took them off. If they get stolen then that's what insurance is for and the last thing I need on the side of the road is to have the key break off.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

RR7_905RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are not factory installed. Depending on dealer they would be installed as part of the PDI.

Check your bill of sale and make sure you didn't pay for them.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Do you have any alternatives ?

If you mean are there other brands, the answer is yes. But be sure you take a good look at the alternatives. I ordered a set from McGard that fit but the lug surface area that bears against the wheel is considerably smaller than the Mopar ones that needed to be cut off as the PO lost the key.

When you are applying 120 lb-ft or more to that surface I want the same surface area as the OEM lugs. I am sending the McGard back and have a set of Mopar ones on order.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine are in the glove box, never been opened or installed or have plans to install them so.

If you go aftermarket make sure they fit, I had a set of ION's on my 07 Ram and when they were being installed had to order 4 different locking sets before we found one that fit and be able to get a socket on them....

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It was part of the dealership pre delivery check list for me. Factory supplied, dealer installed.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Useless. If someone wants your wheels that bad they will just steal your truck. And if by chance they do get your truck up on blocks they sell wheel lock removal kits to anybody at the parts store. Hammer on spin off done deal.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine were factory installed. The manual shows that the lug socket under the passenger seat with the jack. I've rotated tires and the locks seemed fine. However, I have thought about removing them also. My thought is if my wife or kids had to change a tire, it would be a roadblock unless they knew where to look and how to use it.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Useless. If someone wants your wheels that bad they will just steal your truck. And if by chance they do get your truck up on blocks they sell wheel lock removal kits to anybody at the parts store. Hammer on spin off done deal.

They aren't an end all. Nothing is. Used as a theft deterrent.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If you mean are there other brands, the answer is yes. But be sure you take a good look at the alternatives. I ordered a set from McGard that fit but the lug surface area that bears against the wheel is considerably smaller than the Mopar ones that needed to be cut off as the PO lost the key.

When you are applying 120 lb-ft or more to that surface I want the same surface area as the OEM lugs. I am sending the McGard back and have a set of Mopar ones on order.

I just received my Mopar locks and I'll leave a comparison of the OEM vs Mcgard locks you can buy from Amazon. Both fit my 2014 Sport.

There is a large difference in them in spite of the fact that they are both made by Mcgard.

The OEM locks are larger and have a bigger seating surface where they bear on the wheel, a good thing. Secondly, the OEM have a steel ring that needs to be cut off before a socket driven unto the lug can spin it off.

I'm not here to change anybodys mind on their use but if you chose to use them, either spend the extra few buck to get the OEM ones or buy them, like I did, off Ebay and pay less.

DSCN0081_zps1ba6tgc5.jpg