Whining noise coming from engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midnight 4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 and 1984
Engine
5.7 and a slant six
I have a 2014 ram 5.7 4x4 there has been a whining noise sounds like its coming from the engine bay. I was told by the dealership that it was idler pulley so I replaced that was not the problem. It get louder with more rpm. It has nothing to do with it being a 4x4 cause it makes the noise in and out of 4wheel drive. I think it might be alternator but idk. It hold good temp,battery,oil pressure doesn’t affect drive ability but is annoying and want it gone. Please don’t tell me it just a hemi whine cause that’s BS was not doing it for the first 60000 miles.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds like a bearing. If the dealer thought it was idler pulley and it wasn't it may be an alternator or water pump bearing since they're in the same vicinity. If it gets louder when revving it up a bit out of gear my money would be on that. If it only does it when driving down the road it could be a lot of things in the drivetrain.

OP
OP
Midnight 4x4

Midnight 4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 and 1984
Engine
5.7 and a slant six
I thought it might be drivetrain be they said it wasn’t so I’ll probably just replace the cheapest part first and go from there and it’ll probably be the drivetrain

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you can get someone to gradually Rev the motor up and down while you're under the hood and you don't hear it it'll be drivetrain. If you do check the water pump for any minor water seepage as they tend to leak a little and get progressively worse if the bearing fails on them. the alternator is a little harder to tell. You can remove the belt and run it and Rev it a couple times and no noise you know it's not the main bearing and has to be the pulley, alternator or water pump. Don't run it long though. You have no charging or cooling system with the belt off.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had the same whine, turned out it was my wife...:)

seriously, Like BWL said remove the belt but before starting it try spinning the alternator, water pump & AC pulleys and see if any sound noisier than the others.

14_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a similar issue, seems to whine around the 1800-2000 rpm range. Dealer replace oil pump same noise. It's also not coming from the pulleys... Now they thing it's the tranny, maybe the torque converter. I'm waiting on Chrysler to see if there going to replace the tranny...

Dobaramguy84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've Actually been experiencing the same noise with my '14. It just started about 2 months ago. Its very noticeable in colder weather, which led me to believe a bearing of some sort. I had a buddy bring the rpms up on the truck, it definitely sounds like front of motor but I have no idea where? Plus what gets me is we've had some warmer weather for a couple of days and it seems to be quieter or non existent. But like What BWL said, it hasn't affected the performance of the truck. I still have good oil pressure, heat, the battery is still charging well and i'm getting decent gas mileage. Also like his the truck didn't start making the noise till after 60k.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
being in close proximity to one another like alt, power steering, idlers, etc it can be hard to determine but there is a very easy way to run it down a old trick my dad showed me years ago take a long screw driver or racket extension long pry bar,etc while truck is run and hold one end to what you think is making noise normally easier if held closest to where one of bearings are and hold other end to your ear you can hear that sound through the bar just stay clear of belt when doing it I have found more noises like that than I can count works very well

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to AutoZone and get a engine stethoscope, it has a long wand on it, they don't cost much, allot of forum members have have water pump noises and had to change there water pump, check to weep hole for leakage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye