Whipple kiiiiit!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok, not to be a naysayer, because I'm not, but what makes the Whipple any better than the Edelbrock TVS system? I know the Edelbrock comes with a very conservative tune and is a 2.3 unit, but for argument sake, let's take Edelbrock out of it and just ask TVS. Is the Whipple a TVS blower? I know guys with mustangs running 4.0 TVS's. Those things are insane.

The Whipple is a twin screw positive displacement supercharger. The Twin Vortices Series (TVS) is a roots style positive displacement supercharger with a more efficient rotor design.

Basically a roots creats boost by moving more air than the engine takes in. The "boost" is just backpressure. They tend to make a lot of torque, but fall off on the high end because they take so much power to turn at those RPMs without being very efficient. The twin screw actually compresses the air to some extent and also uses backpressure to create boost, meaning it's a little bit more efficient at higher RPMs. Basically the faster you spin them, the better the Whipple is compared to the TVS and roots, especially when you look at IATs.

Just trolled through that post. I will definitely keep my eyes on the guys that are test subjects for the first little while. I'd be curious how the 66rfe will hold up to it. Anybody know the design limits for this transmission?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Probably not well... That transmission isn't know for being very stout.

Hey, I'll donate my truck as a beta truck if they want it to experiment on.

Tell me about it, I'd be in.

So does Whipple use the Teflon lined screws like a TVS? I noticed they sure are proud of them judging by the price tag on their existing kits.

Edit: Also, I wonder it they'll offer it for the 6 spd. auto. The Edelbrock kit is only offered for the 8 spd.

Not sure on the teflon. The Whipple blower is a totally different kind of PD supercharger though, and twin screws are much more complex from a manufacturing standpoint than a roots blower, so the cost difference makes sense.

Well ****, I'm curious, I saw a link that claimed it was a 4.0L charger.... but now I cant find it... GF posted some baby pics on Facebook so my feed was blown up with a million things and now I cant find it. the one on there looks to be kinda small so its prob the little one whipple offers

The 4.0L Whipple is no joke. That blower will make 1,400hp easily. Even the 2.9L will make 800-900hp.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd drop a Whipple on a street or daily driven Hemi, Still not sure if it fits my plans well, still think a turbo is better there. But a 1400hp 4.0L ontop a built 6.4L would be one fun as hell RCSB rocket!!!! If I ever end up with an extra 100k laying around I'll build one

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd drop a Whipple on a street or daily driven Hemi, Still not sure if it fits my plans well, still think a turbo is better there. But a 1400hp 4.0L ontop a built 6.4L would be one fun as hell RCSB rocket!!!! If I ever end up with an extra 100k laying around I'll build one

The turbo would be cool for a truck, especially if you tow, but I'm not sure the tuning is there yet...

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The turbo would be cool for a truck, especially if you tow, but I'm not sure the tuning is there yet...

Tuning for what? I've tuned plenty of engines for turbo. Granted, if you are looking at power levels in excess of 1000 hp I might want to go stand-alone as I'm not familiar with these ECU's, but the tuning is surely available.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree... But hey Someone has to take the expensive plunge... I'm just not there yet

No crap!!! If I had the money I'd do a built long block with twin hybrid huffers pumping out 1000+ on street gas. That'd be a fun truck.... If there was a f'n Mopar tranny to hold it.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tuning for what? I've tuned plenty of engines for turbo. Granted, if you are looking at power levels in excess of 1000 hp I might want to go stand-alone as I'm not familiar with these ECU's, but the tuning is surely available.

I have heard rumor of only 1 turbo'd 4th gen and that is only a rumor it exists. and I have found 0 info on anything tuner wise that has experimented with parameters and such that has a successful street truck. I don't want a stand alone computer and all that, I want a turn key Ram with a turbo that works on the street and Auto-X and Drag every now and then. No one I know has had that ability yet. and I don't really want to waste Seans (hemifever's) time till I'm ready to build it so for now its just a pipe dream for me

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have heard rumor of only 1 turbo'd 4th gen and that is only a rumor it exists. and I have found 0 info on anything tuner wise that has experimented with parameters and such that has a successful street truck. I don't want a stand alone computer and all that, I want a turn key Ram with a turbo that works on the street and Auto-X and Drag every now and then. No one I know has had that ability yet. and I don't really want to waste Seans (hemifever's) time till I'm ready to build it so for now its just a pipe dream for me

Add one more thing to be frustrated with on these trucks. When I bought it I never had any intention of doing any mods, but I've gotten the itch lately, and the more I read on the forums, the more disappointed I am. I have a mainly GM, partial Ford background with modded vehicles, and I've never had any of the issues I'm hearing about with these trucks. Can't find a trans to hold big power, ECU can't be tuned to handle 1000+. Surely that can't be true. I'm not ********, I'm just having a hard time believing with as big of a following as these trucks have, someone hasn't come up with solutions to these issues. If you go look at the Camaro/Mustang world, there's a million trans possibilities, no ECU limitation issues that I've ever heard of. It's just mind blowing to me.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as the tuning issue, is it that these don't run MAF, they run MAP? Can't you upgrade to a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor and go from there? Where are the limitations coming from?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No crap!!! If I had the money I'd do a built long block with twin hybrid huffers pumping out 1000+ on street gas. That'd be a fun truck.... If there was a f'n Mopar tranny to hold it.

That's Why I'm researching and looking into a Auto - Manual and running a built T-56 used in the SRT-10 trucks. Everything should work part wise, just have to strip out the Auto parameters, only problem is there are no Manual parameters to use as data cause there are no 4th gen manual rams, at least that I know of. When we did this to a diesel back in 09 it was rumored 3 people had done it to a canbus 3rd gen CTD, but since manuals existed we pulled the tuning from that and used that as a baseline to reflash and learn all its new parts. the Auto to manual worked, it was the manual to auto that we never could get to shift right.... I'm pretty sure I will run into similar hurtles with this adventure.

So my thought and plan is when I get to that stage in my build is figure out the auto- manual then move to N/A to Turbo. There is a lot of stuff with fueling on the turbo side to get it to map right. Just a trial and error thing

But right now I'm just trying to get spec info on the different parts to see how different they are from 2006 to 2011 units

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's Why I'm researching and looking into a Auto - Manual and running a built T-56 used in the SRT-10 trucks. Everything should work part wise, just have to strip out the Auto parameters, only problem is there are no Manual parameters to use as data cause there are no 4th gen manual rams, at least that I know of. When we did this to a diesel back in 09 it was rumored 3 people had done it to a canbus 3rd gen CTD, but since manuals existed we pulled the tuning from that and used that as a baseline to reflash and learn all its new parts. the Auto to manual worked, it was the manual to auto that we never could get to shift right.... I'm pretty sure I will run into similar hurtles with this adventure.

So my thought and plan is when I get to that stage in my build is figure out the auto- manual then move to N/A to Turbo. There is a lot of stuff with fueling on the turbo side to get it to map right. Just a trial and error thing

But right now I'm just trying to get spec info on the different parts to see how different they are from 2006 to 2011 units

If I was going to dump that kind of time and $ into it I'd go ahead and just swap in a built 480LE and stand alone fuel, try to make cruise work but if not forget cruise control, and call it done. Twin huffers are fun.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Add one more thing to be frustrated with on these trucks. When I bought it I never had any intention of doing any mods, but I've gotten the itch lately, and the more I read on the forums, the more disappointed I am. I have a mainly GM, partial Ford background with modded vehicles, and I've never had any of the issues I'm hearing about with these trucks. Can't find a trans to hold big power, ECU can't be tuned to handle 1000+. Surely that can't be true. I'm not ********, I'm just having a hard time believing with as big of a following as these trucks have, someone hasn't come up with solutions to these issues. If you go look at the Camaro/Mustang world, there's a million trans possibilities, no ECU limitation issues that I've ever heard of. It's just mind blowing to me.

Most of that is cause the coding in the ECM is very protected by RAM and as far as I know has not been "cracked" yet. That makes tuning very difficult when you can only access so many parameters or only tweak so much. Hemifever does a great job of giving that extra that is desired fo the average person but I'm not sure if he has even got that deep into RAM's ECM programming to have 100% control.
The chevy and ford world has been easier to "crack" therefor more exists to play with and tune these crazy builds

Edit: I'm fine with dumping the money into it and time aswell, I have gone down the stand alone route before and they are also troublesome. don't like them. Plus I want a Manual... Not a Auto Fan

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...Not a Auto Fan

I used to be a manual guy until I ripped the center out of my clutch on a hi-po N/A build I did with a dual friction centerforce (I thought I broke the input shaft). Went auto, lowered my 60' and stayed more consistent on the track. There's that, and auto is much nicer to drive on the road in a traffic jam. To each their own though.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
like this, but i would have to update trans before i put this on.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
So who's getting one first? Matt?

They are a little too late for me. I begged them last year to do this, and they didnt seem very interested in the Rams. My new motor build is already underway, and it is not setup for a supercharger. Going to start with a lot of spray, and then go turbo once I get comfortable with how the truck handles that kind of power on the track.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
They are a little too late for me. I begged them last year to do this, and they didnt seem very interested in the Rams. My new motor build is already underway, and it is not setup for a supercharger. Going to start with a lot of spray, and then go turbo once I get comfortable with how the truck handles that kind of power on the track.

Noooo!!!!

What's different about your build that you're setup for turbo and not a SC?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Noooo!!!!

What's different about your build that you're setup for turbo and not a SC?

Really just that I just want to stick with using the Dragpak intake manifold. I already have a lot of money invested in that intake and the 4150 flange nitrous plate system. If Whipple would have agreed to work with me a year ago, I would have been more than ready to throw one on the truck.

Tomater03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you plan is to do a srt10 type ram air hood or a fuctional RT hood then I understand, other than that I don't think the vararam is more superior to a S&B or a few others out for them. And like I said, I wouldn't want to cover up that sexy ass unit. A custom intake setup routed to the grill or fog light would work just as good