Whipple time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
What is the advantage of disabling the MDS? Could I just leave it on? I am not aware when its on anyway. I have also never seen the ECO light on the dash lit up like I hear people talking about.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's 50 state legal. With numerous caveats, and they vary from state to state. If you do other mods and tuning, it may or may not pass your state emissions tests. Typically vendors have a disclaimer saying their product is only legal for off-road use, and not for public roads. Whipple is no different. I'd check the regs in your state.

Emissions

So Tach_tech did you get it installed yet?

wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the advantage of disabling the MDS? Could I just leave it on? I am not aware when its on anyway. I have also never seen the ECO light on the dash lit up like I hear people talking about.

Same here. Never saw the light, heard any difference, or felt any performance difference. But I've got it turned off in my tune. I did that because I bought an 8 cylinder engine. Don't want it to switch to Ricer Mode, EVER. LOL!

Not sure if there would be any issues with a blower. Other than reduced performance. But I don't think they put MDS on the Hellcat, possibly because of the blower.

wink

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here. Never saw the light, heard any difference, or felt any performance difference. But I've got it turned off in my tune. I did that because I bought an 8 cylinder engine. Don't want it to switch to Ricer Mode, EVER. LOL!

Not sure if there would be any issues with a blower. Other than reduced performance. But I don't think they put MDS on the Hellcat, possibly because of the blower.

wink
It was barely noticeable with my stock exhaust but very noticeable and annoying with the 18" mufflex exhaust. I also turned off the MDS with a tuner but the eco light still comes on when I'm driving in a reasonable manner.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Go into your settings,odds are the "eco" light is turned off.You can turn it on or off.
rough estimate I come up with is 10grand for this kit up here,out of curiousity what was the final tally on the blower shipped into Canada.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tach_tech

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

The Eco light doesn't mean MDS is active, it just means you're driving in an Eco manner.

As for the MDS with boosted applications. The reason for disabling it is that during periods of light load that would allow MDS to activate could also be a situation where boost is being created. So you would have boost applied to only 4 cylinders as well as to the back of the valves of the cylinders that would be disabled. This can cause excessive stress on the valvetrain.

I'm not 100% sold on that idea it's just what I've been told. I would think that with a good enough bypass system and setting MDS to disable when boost is present would avoid any issues, but that's just my theory.

Last edited:

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Did the kit come with a bypass? Is it the kind that blows off like a semi releasing air pressure when you let off the fuel pedal? I love the sound but wonder if it would get annoying eventually. I listen to it all day at work but it is not as often as it would be in this situation.

OP
OP
Tach_tech

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did the kit come with a bypass? Is it the kind that blows off like a semi releasing air pressure when you let off the fuel pedal? I love the sound but wonder if it would get annoying eventually. I listen to it all day at work but it is not as often as it would be in this situation.

It has a bypass valve, but it won't sound like what your thinking. You won't even hear it. You will hear the blower whine though which I don't think I would ever get tired of.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

There is an internal bypass on positive displacement blowers but because there's such a small volume of pressurized air it's not like a centrifugal supercharger or a turbo that has to bleed down the entire charge piping. My surge valve is noisy as hell whenever I let off the pedal with my centrifugal system but I also have cog belt whine and a big racing surge valve.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
There is an internal bypass on positive displacement blowers but because there's such a small volume of pressurized air it's not like a centrifugal supercharger or a turbo that has to bleed down the entire charge piping. My surge valve is noisy as hell whenever I let off the pedal with my centrifugal system but I also have cog belt whine and a big racing surge valve.

Ok thanks. I've never had either but I have been interested for quite some time. If used with a reasonable amount of boost it sounds like a safe way to add a lot of power without a lot of modification or potential damage.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Bad ass!

OP
OP
Tach_tech

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Post a video when it's on the truck so losers like me can beat off to it LOL.

I'll try to get a couple videos up as soon as it's done. The plan is to install them this weekend, as long as the PCMs show up.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll try to get a couple videos up as soon as it's done. The plan is to install them this weekend, as long as the PCMs show up.

Any updates or are you still waiting for the PCM?
Also, how much power and torque are you going to gain with this kit? (Sorry if I missed it earlier.) Are you still going to be running 89 octane or getting tuned for 93 octane?

OP
OP
Tach_tech

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Any updates or are you still waiting for the PCM?
Also, how much power and torque are you going to gain with this kit? (Sorry if I missed it earlier.) Are you still going to be running 89 octane or getting tuned for 93 octane?

PCMs should be delivered today, just have to go to the border to pick them up. So as long as they're there, we will be installing them tomorrow.

Whipple recommends minimum 91 octane. I may add a **** kit to it in the future just for some extra insurance.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Tach Tech, Where are you in Canada? I am 45 minutes east of Windsor Ontario in Belleville Michigan.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I'm in southern Alberta.

Just got back from sweetgrass with both PCMs so, Whipple weekend is a go!

Well, I hope to see this in person some time then, we can compare notes on blower setups. I'm in Calgary but am down in Lethbridge and the Pass every couple of months. I should actually be down in just over a week, I'd love to see the Whipple kit in person.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm in southern Alberta.

Just got back from sweetgrass with both PCMs so, Whipple weekend is a go!

I'm with Kurtis,i'm down in Lethbridge fairly often to,and would love to check out your trucks.
Rick

Last edited: