White smoke on cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys. Since i always use my remote start, I've never paid attention to some white smoke comic out of the tail pipe on a cold start. It's not a lot and it goes away after a couple of minutes. It fits increase when i step on the gas. Temperature wasn't too cold either, it was 37 degrees. My truck is an 09 with 90k miles and the Hemi under the hood. Thanks for your helphttps://vimeo.com/196962429

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check your anti freeze levels . Could be burning anti freeze. White smoke usually means water / anti freeze , or to much oil , what's the level like?

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's not using coolant or oil then I'd bet its condensation. Looks to be pretty humid there.

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's not using coolant or oil then I'd bet its condensation. Looks to be pretty humid there.

Well, is been snowing and raining lately. Other than that it's super dry here

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just happens to be cold enough to see the condensation. Burning gasoline creates condensation:

A gallon of gasoline weighs 6.3 pounds and is comprised of 87% Carbon (C) and 13% Hydrogen (H). When you burn gasoline, a chemical reaction occurs, using Oxygen from the atmosphere. The Hydrogen and the Carbon separate, then recombine with Oxygen from the atmosphere to form H2O, or water, and CO2, or Carbon dioxide.

As it exits the exhaust, it is a lot hotter than the air at the tailpipe, which causes condensation in the form of a white cloud. During Summer months, you won't see it. When the temp drops to near freezing (around here, we start to see the condensation start when the temp drops below 40° and as the engine warms up, the condensation goes away - below freezing, the condensation will remain visible as long as the engine is running).

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just happens to be cold enough to see the condensation. Burning gasoline creates condensation:

A gallon of gasoline weighs 6.3 pounds and is comprised of 87% Carbon (C) and 13% Hydrogen (H). When you burn gasoline, a chemical reaction occurs, using Oxygen from the atmosphere. The Hydrogen and the Carbon separate, then recombine with Oxygen from the atmosphere to form H2O, or water, and CO2, or Carbon dioxide.

As it exits the exhaust, it is a lot hotter than the air at the tailpipe, which causes condensation in the form of a white cloud. During Summer months, you won't see it. When the temp drops to near freezing (around here, we start to see the condensation start when the temp drops below 40° and as the engine warms up, the condensation goes away - below freezing, the condensation will remain visible as long as the engine is running).

I thought maybe that too...but he gets it when accelerating , and it took about 10 seconds before it stopped. What you said happens , but doesn't appear its happening here.

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought maybe that too...but he gets it when accelerating , and it took about 10 seconds before it stopped. What you said happens , but doesn't appear its happening here.

Yeah it happens when i accelerate and if i drive it like that keeps doing it for a minute or so and it disappears

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like normal condensation to me, which will seem worse during acceleration until operating temps goes up a bit.

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like normal condensation to me, which will seem worse during acceleration until operating temps goes up a bit.

Nice! I really really really hope you're right man.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i get a bit of white exhaust when i start up in the cold. thought it was normal.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I agree I believe it is condensation also.. if I saw the video you see a few drops of water drip out the exhaust at start up! When temps drop the dew point (IE: moisture content)in the air increases causing the white smoke.. Just look at your chimney on the house when your furnace/boiler runs, you will see white smoke at times,I have received many calls from customers about white smoke from their chimney :O NOW white smoke from the chimney or your exhaust summer yo have a issue :O

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every vehicule here in winter make this when it's really cold. It's normal if it's cold outside.

Where i recorded the video wasn't very cold. It was 37 degrees outside. But a member mentioned that when it's under 40 degrees it's supposed to be normal