Who does your oil changes and tune ups?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
The local mechanic can do it right? You dont HAVE to go to the dealer do ya?

Question really for the newer ones that are still under warranty.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I have dealer, 4 free oil changes, and if I trade in, they own the local Ford, Chevy, GMC and Ram dealerships...so I have all records. I've had it 14 months, just turned 7900 miles...so I have a ways to go :D

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Do it yourself, save money, and know it was done right. If that's not something you are willing to or know how to do, then a non dealer is OK. Either way, keep the receipts for the work and date them and put the mileage on them.

Chris

redsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.5 Ecoboost
I do, don't like that grease monkey smell that lingers in the cab for days after and in my experience they don't seem to be overly careful when you take a car in that has all that plastic crap underneith. Had 2 cars that had the plastic retainers busted on to the point they would no longer hold together. At that point I bucked up and started doing them in the snow as well to avoid taking it in.

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do all my own work. Unless ithe engine or trans blow and its under warranty

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
I do my own services

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Same as many others do anything I can myself especially oil changes and maintenance items.

$miley

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
the ford dealership i went to, to buy my truck does mine, Mac Haik. they owe me 1 more free one.

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The place I bought mine from has three more freebies, then I'll take over. They're free, but I pay the difference (<$20) for synthetic. I bought her back in March and she has just under 5000 miles on her now.

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do everything myself unless there's something I need warrantied. Should something catastrophic happen, I've got a friend who's a mechanic that runs their own shop.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Years ago after having the dealership pour oil down the side of the block and not say anything (I drove right back to have them explain the smell & smoke, then had to fight for a free engine shampoo) I learned how to do my own oil changes.
I'll do ANY maintenance I can. I'll bet it takes me a little longer but I save the $ and know its done right.
A co-worker had his Tacoma in the dealer for an oil change and they forgot to refill it with oil after! :wtf: He got a replacement truck, but if even Toyota techs screw up, anyone can. I just don't trust anyone I don't know.

I'm really not looking forward to changing the plugs at 30,000 but will learn.

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I will say that I'm lucky in that Triangle Dodge in Graniteville, SC, will take care of you and has always done so for me. I'll gladly get the three remaining free oil changes from them paying the up-charge for synthetic. I've done all of the mods to my Ram so far aside from the spray-in bedliner and tool box (free installation with purchase). The only thing I'm hesitant to tackle at this point would be my torque converter swap, but it'll be a good while before I make that purchase.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
Why I'm at the dealership getting my free oil change now. I have a couple left and I'll do them. The free oil change doesn't cover tire rotation so I had them do it for me. 8,500 miles now.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk2

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Keep in mind that most techs don't change oil... They have a grunt to do that work. My buddy worked at a dealership and before he was a tech, that's what he did. Not that that makes the person an idiot, but IMO, they hire anyone that breathes and can turn a wrench to do the work.

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to work at a Saturn dealership as a parts guy while finishing up college and most of the oil change people there were just getting out of high school and might, MIGHT have been attending a technical school. Most were cool and not that irritating, but we did have a couple of winners.

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was fortunate enough to have my father and older brothers teach me to wrench on cars from an early age.
All oil changes and anything that I can turn a socket/wrench on , I do it. I have done all of my mods except weld the exhaust. Soon I am getting a welder and will learn to weld up piping so I can play with that too.

It's surprisingly easy and does not require that many tools to work on your car/truck.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I couldn't afford to get mine changed at a shop. 7 quarts of royal purple and a k&n filter cost me almost 90 bucks. Would cost almost 150 at a shop or jiffy lube. I've had jiffy lube strip the head on my oil plug(dif truck). Never again...