Who made the Mopar Cat-back exhaust system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

axhoaxho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi folks,

Just picked up my 2017 RAM 1500, and I am learning a lot in this forum... A few questions and hope you folks could share some insights:

- Does anyone know which company made the Mopar Cat-Back Exhaust System? I read it might be made by Borla?

- Any fellow forum-ers have installed the Mopar Cat-Back Exhaust, and how did you like the sound compared to other brands of Cat-back exhaust (louder, milder, etc.?)

- Would the Mopar Cold Air Intake enhance the sound of the Mopar Cat-Back Exhaust, in any way? Or the sound would be about the same with or without the Cold Air Intake?

Thanks very much,

Here is a link to the Mopar Cat-Back Exhaust.
https://mopar.chromedata.com/NextGen/C1111#/productDetails/6531278/258746983

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know about the Ram cat-back, but the one Chrysler sold for my Jeep SRT8 was made by Corsa.

wink

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm not sure on the RAM one, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't made by Borla. Every Mopar exhaust I know of was built by either Borla or Corsa. The 5.7 are usually Borla and the SRT are usually Corsa.

OP
OP
axhoaxho

axhoaxho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks folks,

So far from what I gather, the 5.7 should be a Borla Cat-Back exhaust.

Just dropped off my 2017 RAM 1500 to my dealer, to add the Mopar Cat-Back. Hope to pick it up on Monday or Tuesday, and will report how does the exhaust sound.

Regards,

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure about the exhaust, but save your money by not getting a cold air intake. It will not make your exhaust sound different, but it will make the intake sound a little louder. And in most cases you will loose power because you will be sucking in hot air from under the hood. Plus, the stock air filter system is a CAI design that will out flow the throttle body.

OP
OP
axhoaxho

axhoaxho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure about the exhaust, but save your money by not getting a cold air intake. It will not make your exhaust sound different, but it will make the intake sound a little louder. And in most cases you will loose power because you will be sucking in hot air from under the hood. Plus, the stock air filter system is a CAI design that will out flow the throttle body.

Thanks, that is good to know!

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
found this on another forum

"I received my Mopar performance exhaust today from Fedex Part#P5155280 and my neighbor owns a muffler shop so I took it to him for the install. He looked at the exhaust system and said it's made by Corsa which makes quality products. It was a very easy install and fit perfectly which he said is the norm for Corsa. The instructions had a note that said any Mopar part# that starts with a "P" is a performance part and has no warranty and is sold As Is. They usually carry a 90-day product defect warranty but that's about it. If you go on the Corsa website you can find the same system only you can choose a black or chrome tip and they have a 10 year warranty. I wish I had this information prior to my purchase.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If it is made by CORSA,. You don't need the warranty. It will last just fine.

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Im curious to know if your truck lost power installing a CAI or if you're just repeating something you've read on the internet.

I've had just the opposite experience. My mopar cai and scoop made a noticeable difference especially at freeway speeds. Definitely didn't lose power anywhere.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it is made by CORSA,. You don't need the warranty. It will last just fine.

The Corsa on my Jeep has been through 7 winters and while it no longer looks pristine, it has no leaks or other issues.

Im curious to know if your truck lost power installing a CAI or if you're just repeating something you've read on the internet.

I've had just the opposite experience. My mopar cai and scoop made a noticeable difference especially at freeway speeds. Definitely didn't lose power anywhere.

Look at it this way. If you put a blower on your truck it'll be pushing way more air through the throttle body than ANY CAI can. It'll be making way more power too. I've said it before, an engine is nothing more than an air pump. The more air you can push through it, the more power you can make. Of course with more air, you need to adjust your air/fuel ratio for optimal|safe performance.

wink

Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
axhoaxho

axhoaxho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just picked up my truck. My dealer was excellent, everyone at there were very helpful!

The Mopar Cat-back sounded great! A nice slow rumbling note at idle, and a progressive growling as the rpm climbs.

It's been a long day -- just drove the truck back home from dealer. I will drive it more in the weekend, and report back more.

Thanks folks, for all the help!

udlR1Cu.png

Darth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tips look good, are they bigger diameter than stock? I replaced the humongous factory muffler with a Mufflex magnaflow 18" muffler but kept the resonators and stock pipes. How does she sound? Any drone?

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A pic of the muffler will determine if its a borla made or corsa made system. Also the sound between the 2 is very different. Most Corsa systems i've heard sound like boats, and sound incredible. Borla is more subdued.

Juniorss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It definitely looks like Borla. Look at the tips on the Borla kits and the tips on the Corsa Kit. The Corsa kit doesn't have rolled tips and the tips are shorter. If you look at Borla, you will see that the tips look identical.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm late to the party, but will chime in. I have the Mopar catback and swapped the Mopar intake for the vararam. The Mopar catback sounds VERY similar to Borla with a very slight edge imo to Borla sounding better. The Mopar CAI doesnt change the exhaust note, but the JBA catless headers sure did ;).

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I have the Mopar catback as well. I've always believed it was Borla made based on what I read at the time I got it (6 years ago) & from what the dealer told me that did the install (not that they always know for sure). FWIW, my father had a Corsa exhaust on his truck (5.4L) and I don't think mine sounds like Corsa.