Who's running lth's with 1 7/8 on 3.55s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Millertime

Millertime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the info guys, backcountryAK let me know how towing the sleds goes, that what I haul, 4 place inclosed.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck got 19.6, hauling a KTM dirtbike to the north side of Indy this summer. Rain, construction, hills head wind, tailwind, 2 lane stop and go, highway.... . Just about everything. Tall gears equaling good gas mileage is an old fallacy that should be laid to rest.

At 55 mph with 4.10s, the truck turns the exact same rpm, because it now shifts into 6th at that speed rather than staying in 5th.

I remember those days that the truck was a real slug until about 20 mph. I used to say it was a six speed with no first gear. That super tall first gear in the 5/645RFE was another bad idea. You'll like that tranny a lot more once you get 4.10s. If you're going to be pulling 4 snowmobiles in an enclosed trailer, consider 4.56s.

Btp 2332

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2012 with 3.55 stock converter, 35s was a dog after long tube headers. Slowed down at the track, and was noticeably working harder to pull my challenger on the trailer. But with an 8 speed and 3.92s I would try a set of headers.

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
Thanks for the info guys, backcountryAK let me know how towing the sleds goes, that what I haul, 4 place inclosed.

Truck did great towing through the hills - almost effortless. Between 2.5 - 3k rpm there's plenty of power on tap to where I would find myself approaching 80 mph. However, I was only towing a two place trailer and your situation would likely be different hauling the enclosed 4 place. When we do that we usually step up to the 6.4L.

OP
OP
Millertime

Millertime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Truck did great towing through the hills - almost effortless. Between 2.5 - 3k rpm there's plenty of power on tap to where I would find myself approaching 80 mph. However, I was only towing a two place trailer and your situation would likely be different hauling the enclosed 4 place. When we do that we usually step up to the 6.4L.

Right on, the 4 place trailer is very light really. All aluminum and low profile. But will see maybe I'll try it here in the future and get greats I guess if I need more low end.

Thanks for the info

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tall gears equaling good gas mileage is an old fallacy that should be laid to rest.

Taller gears do better on highway. How much all depends on conditions, roads, hills and driving style. On average I lost about 1.5mpg switching to a 3.92 vs my old 3.21 gears. This is real world application and with me driving 37miles to and from work with 98% highway I calculated a loss of just over 1mpg up to 1.5mpg. Now the gears make the truck feel lighter and love the acceleration, but it is definitely not a fallacy.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is one aspect of shorter gears that almost never gets addressed.....

If you get shorter gears, I can just about guarentee that you will be putting your right foot into it more often, simply because the response is so much more gratifying. That's probably the culptret when guys talk about mpg loss. Just my opinion.........