Why no SRT-8 option for Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Hemi is great; I likely wouldn't have bought more if I did it all over again, but I'd love to lust over it and maybe pick up a few parts for my Sport.
Why is there no SRT-8/392 option? Is it not THAT much more powerful and its not worth the difference, or is it the glass trannies not able to harness the power, weight AND be able to tow like the last Gen SRT-10?
Just thinkin'

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's probably not a gamble SRT is willing to take in this economy. Plus, from what I have heard, the 392 will be an option in the HD trucks in 2013.

I don't see it being that much of a big deal being a 392...I say make a VERY limited run of SRT Ram's like Mopar has done with the Charger, Challenger and 300, only make it an SRT-10, regular cab with the 6 speed MT.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I heard/read they canned the SRT-10 because gas went up so the market for the truck went down. I would assume with 91 octane still around $3.50 the market is about the same.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
As far as I know no srt-10 had a rated tow capacity
I don't believe we have seen an srt8 ram because of the bailout and fiat trying to get ram/dodge back on there feet
The Cherokee srt8 was developed pre 2006, while there was an srt10 it was just an extra cost to redevelop the srt ram with the body change, it may not even be cost efficient/possible (the reason why ford dropped the lightning)

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i've wondered the same thing. i think the idea would've been killer to go with an SRT-8 option instead of the SRT-10 for the 4th Gens. like mentioned, the SRT-8 Cherokees are out and i think they're awesome. regarding the complaints about our transmissions, why couldn't Dodge develop something for the Rams in order to handle the extra HP, etc..... i mean, if the Challys and Chargers can handle extra HP?

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
If Dodge payed any attention to how the SRT-10s are still holding high resale value and are becoming harder to find, you'd think they'd jump back on the bandwagon and produce something like that again.

An 8 year old gas truck still going for mid to high 20s (depending on mods) is really quite impressive.

I just saw a red QC SRT-10 yesterday, lowered and sounding amazing. Yeah....it got a long second look from me.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The SRT Jeep was also the only Jeep ever made not trail rated so any SRT product is gonna be for road/track use. With the stronger aftermarket showing up for these trucks its just as easy to build your own for how you want it anyways now.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
Id love to see a 392 in a ram, better my ram....

on tapatalk from my GS3....

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

False^^^^^

The reason they made the quad cab SRT-10 Ram was so Viper owners could trailer their cars to shows/track ect. You should not tow with the regular cab SRT-10 Rams however.

OP
OP
audio1der

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't believe we have seen an srt8 ram because of the bailout and fiat trying to get ram/dodge back on there feet
The Cherokee srt8 was developed pre 2006, while there was an srt10 it was just an extra cost to redevelop the srt ram with the body change, it may not even be cost efficient/possible (the reason why ford dropped the lightning)

From Wikipedia:
"Following the success of the Ram SRT-10 regular cab, Dodge decided to introduce a Quad Cab version starting in the 2005 model year. The new Quad Cab was aimed at the performance truck enthusiast who wanted a performance pickup, but not at the expense of room for passengers and towing capacity. The Dodge Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab was fitted with a 4.56 final-drive gear ratio to improve low-end acceleration and was rated at 7,500-pound (3,400 kg) towing capacity. A body-color aluminum tonneau cover with an aerodynamic spoiler came standard on the Quad Cab. The Quad Cab was only offered with a 4-speed automatic transmission, a 48RE borrowed from the Ram Heavy Duty."

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Well, poo poo on that, Wikipedia is not an official source.

(puffs out chest) I learned that in college...

jk lol. I didn't know that. I always thought no towing with the srt10 ram, although it only makes sense because the srt8 cherokee does have towing capacity as well.

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I wish you could buy these trucks with an option to get a 6spd transmission more than anything, regardless of SRT-8 or 10.

Reactions: jlb

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I hadn't ever been able to find anything about the tow rating of then before although I never looked very hard lol
I makes sense that the quad cab can tow since it uses a 48re

They don't make an srt8 jeep in a manual trans do they? I wouldn't expect to see one put in a ram

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The Jeeps run Nag1's

Cody Paramount is the supplier for us and they build damn near bullet proof trans and offer a great warranty. The owner races a twin turbo sprayed Jeep himself so he takes pride in his product.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ford and Chevy offer a 6.2L so why not us. I have dreamt of a Green (like the color of the Camero) SRT 6.2L Ram must have 4 wheel drive omg would love it.

jimtete

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.3 liter V-10
Guys

Just buy my truck and Hang on ......... Gas milage ----- Ha

.......didn't buy it for that. If you can't handle 9.5 a mile a gallon .....

Then don't buy an srt10. ........... I still get butterflies when I drive this beast.

Jim

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I would already own an SRT-10 if they would have made AWD or 4WD option.