WOT downshift to 2nd and 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JosephVK56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
got a 17 ram 5.7 with the crappy 6 speed trans (was all i could afford nd wanted out of my journey) which i thought were pretty decent but now i am reading that WOT downshifts pretty much kills these 65RFE's???? pretty much the only thing that makes me smile a little bit in this truck is givin' er' hell at a roll and it downshifting into 2nd or 3rd gear as the instant torque makes it feel quick. i hve read that its downshifting into 4th thats bad but will it kill the trans downshifting into 2nd or 3rd gear??

what about WOT upshifting?? is that also just as bad then?

BTW i noticed it pretty laggy in 1st gear especially and also just recently read this has torque management. that sucks!! my nissan titan had torque management to but i removed it and was alot of fun lol

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't think the 6 speed was still used past 2015. I suggest you try it in tow mode, you will like it I'm willing to bet. In normal driving I don't use it, but in stop and go traffic it really makes a difference.

OP
OP
J

JosephVK56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I didn't think the 6 speed was still used past 2015. I suggest you try it in tow mode, you will like it I'm willing to bet. In normal driving I don't use it, but in stop and go traffic it really makes a difference.

what difference will the TOW mode make for WOT downshifting?

6 speed is still the standard trans in the ram, the 8 speed is option at a higher cost.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's been said that you want to drop down into the great you'd be downshifting into manually then going WOT. From what I understand, it's the OD clutches that are the weak point. So downshifting WOT out of an OD gear is not good for these transmissions.

I usually drop down to 2nd or 2nd prime before gunning it at highway speeds, and down to first for anything below 55 mph.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JosephVK56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's been said that you want to drop down into the great you'd be downshifting into manually then going WOT. From what I understand, it's the OD clutches that are the weak point. So downshifting WOT out of an OD gear is not good for these transmissions.

I usually drop down to 2nd or 2nd prime before gunning it at highway speeds, and down to first for anything below 55 mph.

but only 4th gear and up are overdrive. 1st 2nd and 3rd are not. so the kickdown clutches in the first 3 gears should be good? i will start just manually shifting to a lower gear but the kickdown from 2nd to first gear or 3rd to 2nd gear are pretty nice.

OP
OP
J

JosephVK56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

ever take your truck to the track?? you got all the same mods i am wanting to do and you also got the 3.55 rear end. curious to what your running. you just need some headers!!

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You still have warranty? FLOOR IT! Stop worrying so much lol

If you had a procharger or a bunch of mods maybe but I had that trans with 200k miles on it and no issues on my 09. You'll be fine.

OP
OP
J

JosephVK56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lol i still floor it very much :D some real info would be good though, im sure alot of people would be interested in this question

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ever take your truck to the track?? you got all the same mods i am wanting to do and you also got the 3.55 rear end. curious to what your running. you just need some headers!!
I have not (I realize this is way late) but the truck definitely runs a lot better. Last 0-60 run was about 6.5 and it probably could be better if I took the time to try launches. That was with 4WD auto.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk