Y pipe vs. dual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, sorry for another exhaust post, but I searched tons of the old exhaust topics and couldn't find an answer. When buying LT headers, does it make a difference in performance for going with y pipe vs. true dual? I'd imagine yes and maybe it's a stupid question lol. Looking to pickup some arh soon or stainlessworks soon!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys, sorry for another exhaust post, but I searched tons of the old exhaust topics and couldn't find an answer. When buying LT headers, does it make a difference in performance for going with y pipe vs. true dual? I'd imagine yes and maybe it's a stupid question lol. Looking to pickup some arh soon or stainlessworks soon!
Even true duals have to have an X or H cross connect as a pressure/flow equalizer. Stock Ram's don't have true duals. As you know the Y pipe brings the exhaust together. What you need to consider is the single-in, dual-out muffler acts as a pressure equalizer before splitting again.

There are some arguments about whether true dual allows (or needs) a narrower pipe diameter to preserve proper back pressure. But even if you put a cat and muffler on both sides you still will need a pressure equalizer. :burnout:

Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
True dual vs single in dual out will pretty much just give a different sound to it. Depending on set up (which parts used) on the dual, it will most likely be more aggressive sounding than the single to dual.

Just have to remember dual is more cost in fab and parts, I plan on it with mine bu that is also after the fuel tank has been relocated and I can run a balanced (equal length) system with a X-pipe

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great responses from both of you, much appreciated. I think to help with costs, I'll probably end up going arh to single with maybe a carven progressive kit.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
As long as the system is large enough to do the job I wouldn't thing there would be much difference. I know from experience it's way easy to over size an exhaust system using duals.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another quick question (probably stupid). I have a 6 inch BDS lift, would arh LT and remaining exhaust still be bolt up or would I possibly need custom exhaust work? I'm a truck/lift noob, bought a week ago.

Thanks guys!

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you look at some mufflers they're pretty much straight through.

Duals in the 60s and 70s...sure. on new vehicles like the ram I'm not convinced it's that much better if any.

1 basically hollow muffler vs 2 mufflers. The gas flow cv can't be that much smoother with 2 mufflers. If 2 mufflers, then headers back had to be designed around all that with proper back pressure and diameter vs the head flow provided. Do all this and your needing tunes to rid cats and 02s. Think Double the money.

Easier, cheaper to stick one on there. (100$) They look the same out the back anyways. Longtubes optional and costly. (Worth it!)

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The setup I'm leaning towards is going to be right at about $1000. JBA 1-3/4 LT's + Stock Cats + Custom 3" Y-pipe + 3" Thrush Rattler + 3"-to-6" Tip Exiting between rear tire and the end of the side step.

My only question is the 3-6" tip, too big?

It's going to be loud and awesome :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The setup I'm leaning towards is going to be right at about $1000. JBA 1-3/4 LT's + Stock Cats + Custom 3" Y-pipe + 3" Thrush Rattler + 3"-to-6" Tip Exiting between rear tire and the end of the side step.

My only question is the 3-6" tip, too big?

It's going to be loud and awesome :)

You going to cut out your stock cats from the factory y pipe? They are built into it, so I assume if youre having a custom y pipe made you'll more then likely go with some high flows and not the factory cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAMTRPR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I have to pass smog here in California so it has to be a cat that is CARB legal. It is cheaper to weld in the old cats :). I am looking around though to see what I I can get away with as the LT's also are an automatic visual fail.

If I do high flows I just need to make sure the truck will pass numbers wise, then find a shop that will ignore the visual.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I have to pass smog here in California so it has to be a cat that is CARB legal. It is cheaper to weld in the old cats :). I am looking around though to see what I I can get away with as the LT's also are an automatic visual fail.

If I do high flows I just need to make sure the truck will pass numbers wise, then find a shop that will ignore the visual.

You may or will have a hard time passing smog in CA with a modified ypipe prior to cats.... you can split the pipes after the cat and not raise any eyebrows.
CARB legal cats for a 5.7L size motor can get expensive. If you find a CARB legal cat make sure the EO# includes the size of the motor and weight.

Since there isnt room to run a true dual mirrored system cause the gas tank is in the way, you can split the y pipe where it comes together on the passenger side and run it to a x-pipe and then to two mufflers and to where you want from there.
I was quoted $500 for this being TIG welded in with V-Band clamps so i can swap in and out a set of long tubes and have it match my system at smog time if my smog guy couldnt do it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RAMTRPR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have pics of LT's with cats attached? I just want to see where I'm at location wise under the truck. I will do a custom Y after the cats

Bobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone have pics of LT's with cats attached? I just want to see where I'm at location wise under the truck. I will do a custom Y after the cats

I plan to put mine on tomorrow. If I do, I'll take a picture of it.

RAMTRPR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan to put mine on tomorrow. If I do, I'll take a picture of it.

That would be amazing. Install pics are always nice to have on here for us that have to do custom work. So simple when not in Ca, just bolt up LT,Off-road-Y,exhaust and done. Thanks again in advance and good luck on the install.

Bobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

You can see the driver side is under the transmission pan. Passenger side is just behind the crossmember. With both downstream O2s just behind the crossmember as well.

ae24fe664f0455a19f3d03308ac93b2d.jpg
23c3ab4bc4295aca649929cab25c06a1.jpg
1d2f0ada35445352071abf9d77416075.jpg

Ignore the downstream O2 wires, it's temporary.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can see the driver side is under the transmission pan. Passenger side is just behind the crossmember. With both downstream O2s just behind the crossmember as well.

Is that 2.5" or 3" pipe?