Zf 8hp70 ppe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The exhaust work looks factory. Not an easy job. Stock muffler?

I'm using a Stainless Works exhaust system. However where the Y pipe connects actually goes to the stock location so you should be good! The guys at Mike's Muffler Shop did an amazing job!!! If anyone is located near the Los Angeles and are interested in having them do your exhaust. Send me a P.M. Well worth the drive!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a link to the pan....I just don't see where you can change the finishes.
Rude dog do you a link to the page where you can change the finishes. I really like these pans as well as the extra capacity. The exhaust defiantly has to be reworked...especially on mine as I have longtube headers. They did a super job on yours!!

Heavy-Duty Aluminum Transmission Pan - Ram 1500 (ZF 8HP70) [228053000] - $329.99 : Pacific Performance Engineering, Innovations in Diesel Performance

Thanks Hipps! Mike's Muffler Shop did a killer job!!!

Below you will find the link displaying the different finishes. However I got a much better deal, so please P.M. me if you or anyone else are interested (they're not a sponsor on RamForum). Take care!

Pans/Covers/Accessories : Pacific Performance Engineering, Innovations in Diesel Performance

Last edited:

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad you confirmed not being able to get all of the oil out of the trans when dropping the pan. I heat cycled my truck several times just to make sure when I did mine too!

I agree on either using ZF lifeguard 8 or the Ravenol fluid as this trans is unique and my fluid was still pretty clean after over 90k miles.

Thats funny about Shawn's EcoDiesel fluid I totally agree. He says in his video how he has changed it several times when he was at around the 150k interval. Why did he need to keep changing it this often and why it was so dark each time leads me to think the same theory that something is wearing quickly in his transmission.

Here is a link to my DIY video for anyone tackling the job themselves! :D
https://youtu.be/mNo9Ln5KrOE
ram%208psd.png

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks Hipps! Mike's Muffler Shop did a killer job!!!

Below you will find the link displaying the different finishes. However I got a much better deal, so please P.M. me if you or anyone else are interested (they're not a sponsor on RamForum). Take care!

Pans/Covers/Accessories : Pacific Performance Engineering, Innovations in Diesel Performance

Looks great! Thanks for the link, this is a for sure go for me. In 9,000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwhit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also just to add some info. My truck is still under warranty and I called CarMax where I bought it from and they said I don't have to use the ZF fluid. I emailed asking Amsoil if it would void my warranty and this was the response I got below. Now I just want to email this to CarMax and get it in writing that it's okay to use. A lot cheaper option, just adding my 2 cents.

Thank you for taking the time to contact AMSOIL with your question.

For the 8-speed transmission for this Ram can use the AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid (product code ATL). The AMSOIL ATL is the replacement fluid for the MOPAR ZF 8 & 9 speed transmission fluid, and will not affect the manufacturer’s warranty.

We hope this is helpful.

Darryn Wallace

Technical Service Representative II

[email protected]

Phone: 715-392-7101 ext. 6094

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So it won't clear the factory exhaust? Or is it just real close?

That would be very foolish of a company to sell a product that did not clear the factory exhaust. Looking at the pictures the depth of the pan is very shallow towards the rear where the factory exhaust crosses over.

jwhit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I thought but because it's marketed to the eco diesel I wasn't sure. Thanks

jwhit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually just got off the phone with With XDP and they say it does not fit the 5.7. said it hits the exhaust.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Actually just got off the phone with With XDP and they say it does not fit the 5.7. said it hits the exhaust.

Nothing any decent muffler /exhaust shop couldn't fix though.

OP
OP
T

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That would be very foolish of a company to sell a product that did not clear the factory exhaust. Looking at the pictures the depth of the pan is very shallow towards the rear where the factory exhaust crosses over.
What was foolish was the factory placing the exhaust in that location (unless their goal was to heat up the transmission faster). This is the last place you want a hot exhaust during the summer while towing (let alone when you need to change your fluid). For anyone who is not sure what I'm talking about, take a look under your truck.

Last edited:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What was foolish was the factory placing the exhaust in that location (unless their goal was to heat up the transmission faster). This is the last place you want a hot exhaust during the summer while towing (let alone when you need to change your fluid). For anyone who is not sure what I'm talking about, take a look under your truck.
Yeah, that's dumb but the pan is plastic hah. And the drain plug is blocked by the pipe. Wtf? I did a drain and fill on our 4Runner with sealed tranny. Definitely a pain.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jwhit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The good and the bad is that it's great transmission and is used in multiple platforms. That helps drive price down because of the volume but sometimes leads to stupid problems like the exhaust in our case. Ohh well. Thanks for the help though.

I saw on another forum however there is a ZF version of the plastic pan and a Chrysler version. They said it's identical and the Chrysler version is around 100 dollars with the built in filter. If that works that's the cheapest option I've found.

BarbersBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The good and the bad is that it's great transmission and is used in multiple platforms. That helps drive price down because of the volume but sometimes leads to stupid problems like the exhaust in our case. Ohh well. Thanks for the help though.

I saw on another forum however there is a ZF version of the plastic pan and a Chrysler version. They said it's identical and the Chrysler version is around 100 dollars with the built in filter. If that works that's the cheapest option I've found.

Do you have a link for that Chrysler pan? Or which forum you saw it on?

Killavanilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ED086957-2514-498F-808E-7F32C8328F38.jpeg No need for new exhaust unless you want make it easier to take on and off just unbolted and lifted the transfer case up alittle fit just fine