'03 1500 Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dat_HEMI_Tho

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 1500 SLT 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7l
For my 14th birthday my dad went out and bought be a '03 quad cab with a HEMI (220,000 miles) hasn't been rebuilt once. I'm 15 now and I need something to do over the summer. What are some things I should take a look at/do to my ram before I start driving it around? The guy who had it before me didn't do very much besides changing the oil and air filter. I really want the engine in my pickup to last as long as possible before rebuilding it because it will end up coming out of my pocket and I don't have a couple grand to spend. Sorry if it a really odd and dumb question but I probably should be doing something productive this summer. Thanks!

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
spark plugs
spark plug wires
coolant flush, new water pump, new thermostat
clean throttle body
change the differential fluid
could try seafoam
reset the computer
some people will tell you otherwise, but with every fill up i would putt additive in the tank.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Do a full physical on the motor before anything else.
Know what you are up against.
Do a compression test.
Check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.
If it gets a good bill of health, then begin throwing money at it.

I'm speaking only about the motor. With that mileage you could easily spend a ton of money on anengine that could let loose at any time. If the motor is in good condition (considering the mileage) then it would be safe to do things to it. These motors when cared for and well maintained could go on for who knows how many miles. However should you find the motor to be in poor health and near the end of it's life, you can plan properly for whatever way you want to repower it.

That being said, everything else on the truck should be fair game for fixin and upgrading.

Elfster55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 07 what's the deal with resetting the computer, I bought it with 94000, put about a thousand miles on it so far