04 1500 has me stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tim johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2004 Ram 1500 4.7 125,*** miles. truck would not start. checked fuel pressure, had 30 psi when I cycled the fuel pump, when i cranked it pressure jumped up to 60 psi. pulled #1 spark plug and checked for fire. it has spark. put the fuel pressure gauge back on it and cycled the pump, got very little pressure (less than 10psi ) till we cranked it and then it SLOWLY went up to around 38 psi. In the mean time , my son noticed that the fuel gauge did not move when the key was turned on. Also noticed that the overhead display did not show the temp or any of the other stuff it is supposed to display.
Put 5 gallons of gas in it and now it will start and run on what sounds like 4 cylinders and has no throttle response at all. Plus the gas gauge still does not register.

I am out of ideas, does anyone have any other things to check?

Thanks,
Tim

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
do you have any codes? Could be clogged injectors? Also have you checked battery voltage(when it cranks)?

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was it out of gas before you put the 5 gallons in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tim johnson

tim johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was it out of gas before you put the 5 gallons in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to thank not, my son said he had 1/2 a tank in it the last day he drove it. But with 18 year olds you never know. Before I put the gas in it, it woiuld crank and act like it wanted to start but never start. Since putting gas in it, it will start but runs like doo doo.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hmm makes me wonder if it got low on gas and sucked up some junk from the bottom of the tank

OP
OP
tim johnson

tim johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm makes me wonder if it got low on gas and sucked up some junk from the bottom of the tank

I thought of that but what I don't understand is why the fuel gauge or any of the other gauges are reading anything. The overhead console has dashes for the outside temp and does not read anything for mpg or dte.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The computer is freaked out, try a PCM reset to see if it will help. Im hoping the reset will get it going without having to swap PCMs.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Unhook the negative battery cable for say 10 minutes.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Its a maybe on the PCM, with the overhead screwing up thats pointing to an issue. By chance did he try loading a tuner into the truck? A partial load will do that also. A dealer reflash might also work.

OP
OP
tim johnson

tim johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a maybe on the PCM, with the overhead screwing up thats pointing to an issue. By chance did he try loading a tuner into the truck? A partial load will do that also. A dealer reflash might also work.

No tuner was installed that I know of. I ended up having it towed to a guy here in town that is very good with diagnostics. Of course when you get the label very good you also get the label very expensive. I am on pins and needles waiting on him to call me with the news. I will keep you all in the loop.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I have my figers crossed for it to be a simple fix

OP
OP
tim johnson

tim johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I heard from the shop guy today. Bottom line is he says the pcm is fried. He is telling me that no one in the aftermarket makes a pcm that is plug and play. He says he can replace it but I will more than likely have to be towed to the Dodge dealer for more programming after it is installed. Thoughts?

Deed

Reaction score
U.S. Navy....so Pretty much anywhere, at any given
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Blue Tech 6.7
Last edited:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Shoot *** on here a PM seeing if he has any at his salavage yard.