'04 Leaking power steering and Radiator fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jivy26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
'04 Few maintenance questions?

I have a 2004 Ram V8 with 135k miles. I do all my own maintenance. Jut replaced the radiator, changed oil and replaced spark plugs.

I have a few minor issues:

Power Steering is leaking it appears to be around the power steering rack. I am going to try worm clamps and see if this fixes the issue. If not I will check hoses and if none are bad then I need to look into replacing the power steering rack?

Replacing my spark plugs fixed a rough idle issue, mostly. I have about every 5 to 7 secs a rough idle and i notice on initial start truck is around 900 rpms and then after a few minutes drops to about 600 rpms where I start to notice the rough idle. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I have noticed that it is taking longer for my heater to warm up at also when I run the AC it is cool not cold like it usually has been. I have felt the AC Condenser on the passenger side against the firewall and both pipes are very cold. Also had the refrigerant recharged last year so I know that isn't the issue. Also the amount of air that is blown out seems a lot less even on high.

Also I found this by ACD that is supposed to increase MPG and HP. Has anyone used if so does this actually work? Thanks!

We are planning a long trip in my truck so want everything in good shape before we do in May. Thanks for any help!

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
Try draining the fluids and looking for cracks in any of your hoses especially those that run over the fan, silicon could work if there is a small enough crack otherwise I'd say spend the 160 on a new radiator

OP
OP
J

jivy26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like it's coming from the driver side portion of the radiator and leaking down the power steering hoses and that's how it's getting on the fan too

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jivy26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Updated with a few more questions. Ty ;)

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
As far as your A/C and heating problems go it sounds like the blower fan could be clogged up with debris. You can try taking off the cover and reaching up inside to clean it out.

OP
OP
J

jivy26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as your A/C and heating problems go it sounds like the blower fan could be clogged up with debris. You can try taking off the cover and reaching up inside to clean it out.

Thank you I will pop underneath the passenger side tomorrow and check it out. Now that you mentioned it I do recall a year ago hearing a minor sound coming from the passenger side assumed something was caught in the vent but may be that the motor on that blower fan went out. Thanks!

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please don't buy that stupid chip. It's just a resistor that plugs into the Intake air temp sensor.

Buy a real tuner like a super chips and it'll actually get you more mpg and HP.

OP
OP
J

jivy26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please don't buy that stupid chip. It's just a resistor that plugs into the Intake air temp sensor.

Buy a real tuner like a super chips and it'll actually get you more mpg and HP.

Thank you. I just looked it up. It's a bit pricey so I will add it to my "do later" list lol! I need to finish fixing the minor issues then i will definitely buy that thing ;) . Also I like the black trim on my truck it is fading. Have you ever used Plasti Dip on trim if so how did it turn out?

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like on handles and stuff? I wouldn't use it on trim. If you wash it or handle it, it'll rub off easily. The vendor here Adams Polishes makes great stuff called super VHT. It will bring back the black to plastic trim pieces, and it's SPF 30 or 35. So it'll withstand the sun too.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Try pulling your throttlebody and cleaning the hell out of it and the IAC valve on the side.

For the A/C issue, sure sounds like you're got a evaporator clogged with environmental debris. The only way to fix that is to either pull the dash and HVAC box and clean it out or get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/FJC-5914-Foaming-Evaporator-Cleaner/dp/B002EAKX88

OP
OP
J

jivy26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like on handles and stuff? I wouldn't use it on trim. If you wash it or handle it, it'll rub off easily. The vendor here Adams Polishes makes great stuff called super VHT. It will bring back the black to plastic trim pieces, and it's SPF 30 or 35. So it'll withstand the sun too.

Gotcha buddy used it on his rims so was curious how it would last on trim.

Try pulling your throttlebody and cleaning the hell out of it and the IAC valve on the side.

For the A/C issue, sure sounds like you're got a evaporator clogged with environmental debris. The only way to fix that is to either pull the dash and HVAC box and clean it out or get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/FJC-5914-Foaming-Evaporator-Cleaner/dp/B002EAKX88

Gotcha actually makes sense with the throttle body. The IAC is located just to the right on the drivers side?

The evap cleaner I assume you are hooking it to the compressor lines?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk