04 Ram 1500 Hub/bearing Replacement HELP?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys I need help. I replaced my hub bearing assembly yesterday on my 04 Ram 1500 4x4. Before I ordered parts I went to the dealer an inquired as to whether I had 2w or 4w ABS. according to the VIN # my truck is 4 wheel disc, rear wheel ABS. I did have some sort of sensor coming the driver side hub, following the brake line up into the fender wheel. But only on the driver side. I was told this was a tone ring, and should not matter whether the replacement hub had the sensor or not, since my truck was not programmed for 4w ABS. So after replacing the hubs yesterday and installing one that did not have a sensor, I had a check engine light come on for a Trans Axle Sensor or something to that affect. What kind of sensor is that and should i re order the hub with an ABS sensor? Also while replacing the hubs I also did brakes all around. While test driving I slammed the brakes on and locked the wheels up. As I took off again the check engine light came on w/ Previously stated codes and the truck would not start off in 1st gear, only second and shifted through all others fine. After restarting the truck the issue resolved itself. Is this related to the Hub sensor?

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Thats weird, I changed both mine and each had a sensor and line to plug in. But if what they told you is correct and there was no line and the replacement part is same as the one removed you would be good to go. Try unplugging the battery for five minutes and see if the cell goes away.

huntram03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
Personally I would get the one with the sensor in it.. I had both if mine replaced (driver side twice due to bad hub) and I got the one with the sensor and never had a code thrown.. Good luck!

tommyboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I replace mine not to long ago. it was cheaper for me to buy the ones with the sensors then it was with out. I just cut the cable that went into the hub. they are pretty easy to do.

NITROUSCHRIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i just did both mine. sensor on the left front. not on the right. if you have the connector on the chassis, you will need the sensor in the hub. Only way it wont matter is if you put a SENSOR equiped hub on a NON sensor equiped corner. Mine was $250 foe the left, $150 for the right.