'05 SLT Ram 1st Time Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonHolly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7
I bought this '05 Ram 1500 SLT Quad 5.7 Hemi a year ago today. This is the first Dodge I've owned and not to awfully impressed. Took my ride into the dealer for a safety recall of the air bag and and nut on rear axle. Turns out they had to rebuild the axle with new ring and pinion gear, seals, etc. Don''t know what they did about the air bag.

Lot's of problems! Truck only has 79k miles on it and looks great with new paint in the last couple years. Ever since I owned it the sun roof has leaked water out the hand grabs on the windshield posts. Figured to was bad drain hoses so I repaired it today with 1/2" vinyl tubing. Took about two house to run new hoses in both sides. Dealer said my front end needs new upper and lower ball joints, which dealer says the upper only comes on a new upper control arm. Parts, labor and alignment about $1250. (That's not going to happen!!!) Former owner twisted off the lumbar knob and dealer wants $275 to repair it. (That's not going to happen either!!!)

Still haven't figured out what's wrong with my door locks after lightning strike. (Posted on another post here.) Gonna need new brakes on the rear.

To sum things up, one doesn't really know what your buying off a lot until you've owned it awhile. They probably didn't know either and I guess it's just a luck of the draw! After all it's used and 11 years old.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Think you're looking for the 3rd gen section, this is the 2nd gens.

I will say though 79k=lots of sitting in that 11 years. Things will leak and wear out almost quicker than by driving it. Also, why are you going to the dealer for all your work? Literally the easiest way to spend cash without fixing a problem. Find a good reputable shop. $1250 for front end work will turn into 5-600.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sunroofs- all makes all models have problems leaking. Front suspension is a wear an tear item an being 11 plus years old with 80k miles it can use some love. I replaced my suspension stuff about 3 years ago with around 85k on mine.

OP
OP
R

RonHolly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7
Think you're looking for the 3rd gen section, this is the 2nd gens.

I will say though 79k=lots of sitting in that 11 years. Things will leak and wear out almost quicker than by driving it. Also, why are you going to the dealer for all your work? Literally the easiest way to spend cash without fixing a problem. Find a good reputable shop. $1250 for front end work will turn into 5-600.

As I said it was in for Safety Recall. They do their total vehicle inspection to try and drum up some work. I'd never let the dealer do anything for me that would come out of my pocket.