08 ram 1500. Shutter/ clunk front passenger when reversing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jade_Monkey07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.8l
Hey everybody, I joined up to help my roomate fix her truck. We were at the movies last night and she went to reverse out of the parking stall. Wheels turned to the right. All we heard and felt was a brutal grinding/clunking in the passenger front wheel. Went away going forward. Bit of a squeek while driving. I jacked it up today to have a wee peek and the drive shaft seems to have some play going in to what I think is the 4wd actuator(forgive me im a wrangler guy). And it looks as if its been leaking. Is this a common thing to go? they look easy enough to replace. Part looks to be about 150 bucks. Any tips or tricks to prove to or rule this out as the issue? both cv boots on the drive shaft are immaculate. No play in the hub assembly.
She says her 4wd was finicky last winter but hasnt noticed anything strange since.

Will post pictures in a few minutes

Thanks guys

I dont always drive where others cant. but when I do, its in my Jeep. Stay muddy my friends

OP
OP
J

Jade_Monkey07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.8l
http://imgur.com/1uRiYPx
And I noticed this time that the play is only present with the wheel off the ground. So could this be the cause of the noise we heard? Should I be pulling the boots back on the cvs to see ?

I dont always drive where others cant. but when I do, its in my Jeep. Stay muddy my friends

OP
OP
J

Jade_Monkey07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.8l
So does nobody here fix their own trucks?

OP
OP
J

Jade_Monkey07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.8l
Uppidy up up

Wchnu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you try to wiggle the wheel? I got that same sound from bearings going out. You would need to wiggle it with the truck jacked up. How many miles??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jade_Monkey07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.8l
About 89,000km. Yeah I checked the bearings. Everything is tight, no wobble. Checked balljoints while i was there. Everything seemed super tight, no play. Im gonna grab her for a drive this weekend. See if the 4wd engages properly try to recreate it. Really the only thing I can come up with is the driveshaft connection to the 4wd actuator is leaking

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When you say 4WD actuator, are you talking about the transfer case? When you say driveshaft connection, are you talking about the front driveshaft?

If this is correct, the front driveshaft has a "cv" style joint where it connects to the transfer case. These are notoriously weak and a bad design (in my opinion). I'm not saying this is the issue causing the noise but there shouldn't be any play there.

I think part of the reason you aren't getting much of a response is how your posts are worded. It is very tough to understand exactly what you are talking about.

also, posts like this aren't helping either...
So does nobody here fix their own trucks?