09-10 Suspension Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Anyone know anyone that has done a suspension conversion on their 3rd gen to the 4th gen? I might be able to get a hold of all the brackets and everything to do it relatively cheap as well as an 09' rear end, and am curious if it will work out. I love the way the 09-10's handle and am really considering doing this conversion if I can, instead of buying a new truck (like that would happen).

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Good question... im gonna fallow this thread and see whats said. I think the front frame is different all together but maybe someone has.

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
all i know is that people have put the sway bar on but i know you already have one. goodluck though on the project

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I know the rear has a bunch of different brackets that need to be welded onto the axel but I should be able to get one off an 09' that has all the mounting brackets already on it so that just leaves the frame mounts. The fronts I have no idea about, I thought the 3rd gens and 4th gens were similar up front but now that you mention it they might be different

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've thought aobut this, and I'm sure its doable... most likely just be a lot of custom fab/welding. As well as ALOT of measureing...

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I have a few pictures of a truck that came in to a friends shop.

dsc00377web.jpg

dsc00378web.jpg

dsc00379webi.jpg

dsc00380web.jpg

dsc00381web.jpg

I like the setup, looks like bagging the rear would be very easy.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Sweet, thanks for the pics!!

I really like how the coil over suspension in the 4th gens handle, its just such a smoother ride. I am going to have to do some more research and see what all it will take since the rear looks doable, the fronts if it works great if not I can work around that.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
are the frame dimensions the same on the two generations? It they are the same, could you just backhalf your 3rd gen to a 4th gen? Can you weld?

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
are the frame dimensions the same on the two generations? It they are the same, could you just backhalf your 3rd gen to a 4th gen? Can you weld?

Thats what I am thinking about doing. Doing a swap of the entire rear end as long as everything is the same between the two which I believe they are just not 100%. If they are not, then it should just be lining things up right or fabbing something new up or seeing if there is a aftermarket coil over kit for the 3rd gens...

Anyone know if there is an aftermarket coil over kit for the rear?

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Have to see what happens, its up in the air right now

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Thats what I am thinking about doing. Doing a swap of the entire rear end as long as everything is the same between the two which I believe they are just not 100%. If they are not, then it should just be lining things up right or fabbing something new up or seeing if there is a aftermarket coil over kit for the 3rd gens...

Anyone know if there is an aftermarket coil over kit for the rear?

Even if if they were off my 6 inches you could fab up and build the 3rd gen frame up where they would meet...hell on the S10's that I have seen backhalved it is better to just build the hell out of the frame anyway so it is as rigid as possible. You are already there so what not right? As long as you know about triangulation and suspension geometry then I see it being a piece of cake...

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I also suggest you contact Suicide Doors...they hand fab up backhalves for S10's and some full size trucks...I bet they would be willing to help you with the 4th gen 4 link backhalf conversion...

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
I really don't think it's practical. I can see a company making a kit for it, that you have to weld and all. But first finding a 4th gen that you can salvage from, then lining it up, and making it work. Not very feasable, unless your a body shop or have loads of cash. But good luck I'm definately not saying it can't be done.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
might as well go ahead and notch the frame too, in case you decide you want to make that puppy lay frame....