2002 dodge ram 5.9 o2 sensor troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tylermk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
So it all started when i removed my muffler to straight pipe my truck. It was all good i left the muffler off because i liked the way it sounded. Then i started to notice an airy sound from the exhaust and the trans wouldnt shift when i would give it full throttle i would have to let off for it to shift. The exhuast sounds horrible. I had a check engine light on so i took it to go get the codes scanned. It was for multiple misfires. I went and replaced the plugs and wires(the spark plugs were terrible). It didnt make a difference. I also have a code for a governor pressure solenoid. That is all what i was told at autozone. Then i take it to o'reillys they tell me its an o2 sensor. So i was running really low on gas(5 miles till empty). Then as im going to the gas station with like no gas. The truck starts driving perfect again. shifting fine, it has more power, and the exhaust sounds 10x better. This situation has happend twice. Im not completly stupid when it comes to vehicles but i obviously have no clue what is going on here. Any thoughts or comments are nice. Just throw out your opinion. Thanks

biggator64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
don't know if this will help you but I have a 98 Durango with a 5.9 kinda did the same thing one day that your truck is doing, took it in to have the codes run ect..all kind of things came up, but I unplugged the o2 sensors and it ran great I have a check engine light but its been this way for 3 years I just don't want to spend the money for new sensors

OP
OP
T

tylermk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
This truck is throwing me to many curve balls lol. I was driving it tonight after i had the codes cleared and out of no where when the check engine light came back on it starts driving perfect. The truck is running better then when i bought it 4 months ago. Fingers crossed it stays like this. I just cant even begin to explain the difference and how instant it was. I was just cruising and it just happened. I can only hope it stays.

OP
OP
T

tylermk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Ill definitely try unplugging them and see if i notice a difference. If i dont ill probably replace them. ill let you know how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

biggator64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
on mine it was like night and day it ran like crap, I unplugged them no issues after that

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So it all started when i removed my muffler to straight pipe my truck. It was all good i left the muffler off because i liked the way it sounded. Then i started to notice an airy sound from the exhaust and the trans wouldnt shift when i would give it full throttle i would have to let off for it to shift. The exhuast sounds horrible. I had a check engine light on so i took it to go get the codes scanned. It was for multiple misfires. I went and replaced the plugs and wires(the spark plugs were terrible). It didnt make a difference. I also have a code for a governor pressure solenoid. That is all what i was told at autozone. Then i take it to o'reillys they tell me its an o2 sensor. So i was running really low on gas(5 miles till empty). Then as im going to the gas station with like no gas. The truck starts driving perfect again. shifting fine, it has more power, and the exhaust sounds 10x better. This situation has happend twice. Im not completly stupid when it comes to vehicles but i obviously have no clue what is going on here. Any thoughts or comments are nice. Just throw out your opinion. Thanks
This sounds exactly what my truck was doing a couple of years ago. At first I had the o2 sensor code pop up and I would clear it. This went on every 6 months or so.
Long story short what it ended up being is I needed a new o2 sensor and shift solenoid in the transmission being that the o2 sensor and shift solenoid shares the same ground and it fried it. By clearing the codes it would eventually short out again and finally fried them both.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk