2002 Ram 1500 with 120,000 miles. Too much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommythecat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
I'm about to buy at 2002 Ram 1500 regular cab with the 5.9l engine. It has 120,000 miles on it. The carfax was clean. The 4 wheel drive works. The tires aren't worn in a bad way. It doesn't appear to be leaking any fluids. The interior is in really great condition. It drives great, no knocking, engine sounds really strong, idles perfectly, no hesitation on acceleration, and shifts smoothly. The deler is asking for $8800, I think I can get them down to $7500

Is 120,000 miles too much? I'm going to be using this truck to commute to work 15 miles each way and I will also be using it for surf fishing every weekend.

Is there anything I should be looking for specifically with this model and year?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No, 120K is not too much as long as it's in decent shape.

OP
OP
T

tommythecat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
No, 120K is not too much as long as it's in decent shape.

It looks like it's in great shape. There's some minor cosmetic stuff on the exterior but I'm not worried about a few scratches.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think its too much. I bought an 02 quad cab with 127k miles for $5600 about 8 months ago. This was private sale. When I worked for a dealer as a sales man we had at least 2500 mark up on all used vehicles. I would shoot for less and try to get a warranty if possible.

gesjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I paid $7200 for my 02 quadcab with 120k mi. Looked around for two months and considering mileage and shape of the truck this was by far the best deal i found . Im in maine tho,trucks seem to run cheaper in other parts of the country. Imo,,fair price but not a steal .

OP
OP
T

tommythecat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
I paid $7200 for my 02 quadcab with 120k mi. Looked around for two months and considering mileage and shape of the truck this was by far the best deal i found . Im in maine tho,trucks seem to run cheaper in other parts of the country. Imo,,fair price but not a steal .

This is by far the best deal I've come across. I've been looking for a few months now. I've been laughed at by car salesmen when I told them what I was looking for for less than $10,000. Trucks seem to hold their value very well where I live.

Hemitom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I were you I would go over the truck with a fine tooth comb...and make a list of what it needs to bring it up to your standards.

look over everything under the hood see if anything looks out of place or need to be replaced.
I would over a period of time replace all of the fluids...and give it a complete tune-up. so you know the truck has all new parts since you bought it used and it has 120,000 miles on it.

rph74

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram
Engine
4.7 liter 6-Speed Manual
120k wouldn't scare me one bit, as long as everything works ok. Hell, I just bought a 2008 with 180k on it 2 weeks ago, and the thing is solid as a rock!

I have owned about 20 used cars over the years, and in my experience 120k + has brought me the most luck. At that point, many new parts have been replaced already. Buying at 75-90k has been the worst, because those were 1 or 2 owner cars where nothing was replaced. I just sold off my 99 Silverado with 240k to buy this Ram, so, no mileage doesn't faze me at all.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I were you I would go over the truck with a fine tooth comb...and make a list of what it needs to bring it up to your standards.

look over everything under the hood see if anything looks out of place or need to be replaced.
I would over a period of time replace all of the fluids...and give it a complete tune-up. so you know the truck has all new parts since you bought it used and it has 120,000 miles on it.

Your dealer should allow you to take the truck overnight if you are serious about buying. Take it to another garage, not a dealer just an independent garage and have them look it over. If there are things they find you can use it as leverage to lower the price or you will find this isn't the truck for you.

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I paid $8100 for my 2003 quadcab hemi with 102,000 miles. Seems a little high to me, but I wouldn't worry at all about the miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if thats a good deal in youre area than go for it. you cant decide if its a good price based off of what someone across the country paid.

Your dealer should allow you to take the truck overnight if you are serious about buying. Take it to another garage, not a dealer just an independent garage and have them look it over. If there are things they find you can use it as leverage to lower the price or you will find this isn't the truck for you.

X2

Collin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yes, don't just look at the seats and check the tires like some sap. Spend $100 for a mechanic to look at it. They'll find anything wrong with it and save you thousands.

Carfax isn't worth ****, really.

OP
OP
T

tommythecat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l

I'm definitely going to take the vehicle to a mechanic to get it checked out before I decide to buy it.

OP
OP
T

tommythecat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
So I bargained a little and got the dealer to come down to $6,000 even. I'm taking a family friend that's a mechanic with me to check out the vehicle and hopefully driving it off the lot this week.