2002 Ram 1500 5.9 shifting problems please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Langer5192

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys just got a 2002 Ram 1500 5.9l automatic with 135k on it. When I start in drive sometimes it doesn't shift into first for a few secs I give gas and only rpms go up and I don't move. Also when it shifts into 1st to 2nd and sometimes 3rd it will jump in rpms then shift. This doesn't happen all the time maybe 1 in 10 shifts and is noticeably worse when cold in the morning any help would be appreciated. Trans fluid looks clean and at proper level.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Also no check engine lights are on
Your shift solenoid (forget if that's the proper name) could be clogged with crap, mine did that after I changed tree fluid and filter and had to take it all back apart again, a good shop should be able to tell and also what the light means and if it's related.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

Langer5192

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking it was the solenoid sensor thing in the trans but I don't have a check engine light . No light is on

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
I was thinking it was the solenoid sensor thing in the trans but I don't have a check engine light . No light is on
Sorry read it too quick, thought it said light was on, I didn't have a light either but I know a Transmission guy and he told me over the phone that it was the solenoid and to be sure put the computer on it for all of 2 min and while sitting still the sensor thought it was moving about 10 miles an hour.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try the simple things first. Change fluid and filter and adjust the band's.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

Langer5192

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for the responses guys, just had a mechanic look at it. He dropped pan and found a piece of metal that looks like a piece of a snap ring. also says fluid was ******. He insists I replace/rebuild trans for $1500. any tips/advice?

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
thanks for the responses guys, just had a mechanic look at it. He dropped pan and found a piece of metal that looks like a piece of a snap ring. also says fluid was ******. He insists I replace/rebuild trans for $1500. any tips/advice?
Sounds like a decent price, I paid 1900 for a rebuild with new torque converter and lines on the old lady's trailblazer, depends if that's the route you want to go or find another or buy new, at least with the rebuild you know it should be trouble free and last awhile.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Do you have more time then money? If so, find a salvage tranny and install it yourself at a shop with a lift and tranny support. If you weigh the personal cost of doing all that and still possibly losing your tranny again in a few years, it might just be worth the rebuild now, that price sounds ok. Be sure to get a warranty.

PS: paid over $3500 for a new Suburban tranny about 4 years ago but that was a completely remanufactured tranny and labor.

Good luck!

Sent from San Antonio, Texas

Last edited:

FrankB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have a 2003 with the 5.9, the 5.9 trucks have the 46RE tranny which is a lot like the older torqflight tranny. That snap ring they found in the pan is most likely from the overdrive unit, they all break, very common issue. I found two pieces in my pan and it still works fine, for now.
There is an upgrade for that solenoid, its Borg Warner #50185. If you tear it down to clean or replace it, I strongly suggest you upgrade it. Also replace the transducer as well, they work together to maintain and monitor the internal fluid pressure. Also, since your in there, replace the 3-4 accumulator spring, its super easy to do and it's another common part that breaks, almost every time it's broken. Mine was broken into three pieces, I have no idea how it still shifted. Also adjust the bands while your in there.
None of these things are terribly expensive or hard to do so and there's plenty of videos and info online, it may be worth it before it's rebuilt. But also do these things if it is rebuilt.
Good luck.

FrankB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I almost forgot, theres a check valve in the cooler lines, it's under the washer fluid tank in the engine bay, remove the check valve and clean it with brake clean, it's another very common issue for them to get clogged up and not let the proper flow of tranny fluid thru the cooler, and since your fluid was nasty it would be worth it, you'll need a fuel/AC line disconnect tool to get it off. It's popular to just drill it out or remove it but if you do the fluid will drain down and you'll have a delay when you put it in gear. That can be dealt with if you install the Transgo shift kit. Another common "mod" is to remove the thermostat in the tranny cooler and but it back in reversed, that way it always stays open and you get full flow even when cold. If you see crazy cold temps in winter where you live then that might not be a good idea. Again, plenty of videos and info online about that stuff so you can see it before doing it.