2002 ram parking brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spuz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 l v8
Pedal goes to floor before stopping. Adjusting nut won't turn on cable. The drum (driver side) goes on easily with parking brake on. The star adjuster moves easily but I can barely see any change.
Quite a bit of lining remains on pads. Steel pipe that cable goes through broke close to driver side rear wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_20161129_161437.jpg
    IMG_20161129_161437.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 66

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
obviously somebody adjusted the crap out of the pkg brake cable adjuster. Now it's badly rusted and it'll probably be a ***** to adjust back to normal setting. The adjusters at the wheels need to be fixed, first. If you can't get them to work properly, you could put in manual adjusters and crawl under there and adjust them by hand every couple of months. But I don't think many people would follow up on that regularly.
First, make sure the longer brake shoe is in the rearmost position on each backing plate. You need to work the auto adjuster cable by hand and make sure the pawl is contacting the adjusting teeth properly and unscrewing/advancing the threaded adjuster. If you can't make it work properly by hand, there's probably something wrong with the brake install. Consult a service manual, if you have doubts about the spring anchors, and/or locations.
Normally, if the brake shoes are adjusted to the drum properly, the emergency brake will work fine in the as delivered e-brake cable adjustment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

spuz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 l v8
obviously somebody adjusted the crap out of the pkg brake cable adjuster. Now it's badly rusted and it'll probably be a ***** to adjust back to normal setting. The adjusters at the wheels need to be fixed, first. If you can't get them to work properly, you could put in manual adjusters and crawl under there and adjust them by hand every couple of months. But I don't think many people would follow up on that regularly.
First, make sure the longer brake shoe is in the rearmost position on each backing plate. You need to work the auto adjuster cable by hand and make sure the pawl is contacting the adjusting teeth properly and unscrewing/advancing the threaded adjuster. If you can't make it work properly by hand, there's probably something wrong with the brake install. Consult a service manual, if you have doubts about the spring anchors, and/or locations.
Normally, if the brake shoes are adjusted to the drum properly, the emergency brake will work fine in the as delivered e-brake cable adjustment.

Thanks for the information. I'll have to look at other side and do comparison. I don't think activating the brake moved the pads at all. I think the parking brake lever behind hub did not move. Where the cable attaches at the backing plate of wheel. That did move. Thanks again.

OP
OP
S

spuz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 l v8
The passenger side seems fine. Almost no wear on pads. Rotor can't be removed with pb on. None of pb mechanism can be seen with hub on. Brakes are upside down but that is normal.

I guess I'd have to remove hub on driver side and see if anything is frozen. Not sure if I have the time.

Google but did not find a single pic of parking Brae w hub off. Will check some videos. Selfish thoughtless people.