2003 Ram 3500 Dually diesel SHAKING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Puffin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
I am new to the forum so maybe this has been discussed. In the past 2 weeks I have had a frightening experience with my truck getting the severe shakes. It is otherwise driving ok, but when I hit a series of random bumps in a row, it starts to go into a violent shake. Usually when I am making a slight turn and hitting bumps at 40-50 mph. Comming to a stop helps clear it but it has happened on highway and scares the u know what out of occupants. (and me)

Any suggestions or fixes. I called Ram and they said no recalls and problem is likely due to tires ?? and steering dampner ? but otherwise not a safety problem. I am running 65 PSI in tires per door panel, and have driven truck since 2004 with truck camper and pulling a boat and this has never happened. When it did happen truck has no load and I am not towing. Suspension is factory no addons but rear Torklift stabil loads?

thanks,
steve

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Death wobble
It is a pretty common problem caused by worn components
Toe rods, track bar, control arm, it could be basically anything
It's usually a matter of throwing money at parts till it goes away

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Death wobble
It is a pretty common problem caused by worn components
Toe rods, track bar, control arm, it could be basically anything
It's usually a matter of throwing money at parts till it goes away

Pretty much this! From what I've read there is no one single item that causes it, it can be one or multiple of many causes. By the time you're done, usually you'll have a new front end.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Btw, welcome to the forum.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There are complete front end rebuild kit that are on the inexpensive side and basically replaces everything but the shocks/struts.
Make sure also that all the mounting locations are not stretched or ovaled out or shape by worn or loose components as this can also lead to the DW.

I have been often told that the Death Wobble is due to wear and that Steering stabilizers should never be used as they "cover up" the signs of wear that can lead to dangerous situation.

Last edited:

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are complete front end rebuild kit that are on the inexpensive side and basically replaces everything but the shocks/struts.
Make sure also that all the mounting locations are not stretched or ovaled out or shape by worn or loose components as this can also lead to the DW.

I have been often told that the Death Wobble is due to wear and that Steering stabilizers should never be used as they "cover up" the signs of wear that can lead to dangerous situation.

Welcome to the Forum

How many miles what have you replaced on the front end?

The reason it feels like its not showing loaded up - there is more weight and tension on all the bushings and the added weight counters the shimmy.

I personally would do the following if you have high mileage just cause its regular maint.

Ball joints replace if there is play Ujoints if they are bad do the ball joint because its apart. Front hubs if they have high mileage I would replace if never done I would also consider a free spin hub kit instead of sealed units if you plan on keeping truck lots more years. Track bar tends to wear then wallow out the mounts especially when most miles are loaded. Check steering box for shaft play it takes a beating if there is play do the upgraded box with a brace kit. Tie rods and drag link check and replace if needed. I use grease able parts because I don't mind sliding under and greasing every 3 thousand miles if your not the type to do that regular just get regular sealed parts. Check the control arm bushings if they are cracked loose or show signs of distorting replace all 4. Finally shocks and steering stabilizer. Tires can start a wobble but they are not the cause unless they have belt defects or bent rims.

Sidh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 3500 SLT
Engine
5.9 L Cummins
I realize this is an old post but I've only just found it, so I'm hoping it's still visible to the entire forum.

I have a 2004, 3500 SLT, 5.9L Cummins, single wheels in the back, about 140K miles.

I've been getting this D/W for a little over a year now, only at highway speeds (in TX that could be 50- 85) and it only happens occasionally so not a regular occurrence. And it happens on smooth as well as bumpy roads.

It feels like the driver side rear wheel area bouncing like a basketball on the road...I thought it was the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks I put on a few years ago that were hosing up. So I've adjusted those, gotten several alignments and rotations and I'm about to get new tires put on.

Most of the recommendations here are for the replacement of front end parts - so would/could this show up in the rear as well? If so what's the fix? I was ready to call Rancho and chew some a$$!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
so would/could this show up in the rear as well?
The death wobble only happens in the front when the wheels go violently side to side, I've seen this happen to a Jeep next to me on the freeway definitely scary watching it happen.
If you feel like the back wheels are vibrating it's most likely the shocks or possibly a bad spot/broken belt in the tire.

Sidh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 3500 SLT
Engine
5.9 L Cummins
I'm sure it looks bad from the experience in the cab, my wife went ape$hit when it happened at 75 mph. But it actually does feel like the rear end, nothing in the steering wheel or front of the vehicle.

In addition, I've recetnly had the tires rotated so that kinda kills the tire theory so I'm leaning toward the shock theory...I was looking ot see if anyone else had issues with the adjustable 9000XL's...thanks for the response. I'll keep messing with it till i figure it out...